Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2020, 12:20 PM

102 posts, read 116,942 times

Advertisements

One Indonesian here, I won't name since it's pretty obvious who, insist the the creoles (Filipinos of Spanish descent) posted here are fake and "foreigners" even if Manolopo had painstakenly explained how these are not "foreigners". They're Filipinos, but not Austronesians.

I think there is too much emphasis on Filipinos who have one foreign parent on the internet and entertainment media, and people often talk about these foreign ancestries, while Filipinos of Spanish (creole) descent are obscured and they don't really talk how "Spanish" they are.

I mean, have you even heard of Jaime Zobel de Ayala, Enrique Razon, Manuel Legarda, Carlos and Tristan Aboitiz, Patxi Elizalde refer to themselves as "Spanish" ? I've always heard them referring to themselves as Filipinos. Even Migs Ayesa refers to himself as Filipino-Australian, not Spanish-Australian despite looking straight up white.

I think the problem is, we're seeing the traces of a 2000 internet racism against Filipinos. People used to accuse Filipinos of IMSCF sydrome, they even accused Spanish-Filipinos of not intermingling with the Austronesian majority (which is false - Just look at the member composition of Wolfgang a d Razorback).

In addition, the sense of identity crisis of Filipino-Americans are being "extended" by these racists to Filipinos IN the Philippines.

Also, a lot of foreigners, white foreigners in particular, don't want to admit that they married Filipinas from poorer backgrounds. Many of these women seek a foreign spouse to better their living conditions. Many women who married American servicemen were bargirls from the provinces, mostly from Visayas and Mindanao. Rich Filipinos (regardless of ancestry) usually marry within their social strata. Even the richest native won't marry a white sexpat living on his government pension. Lol

Also, these people are applying the racial strata in Latin America in the Philippines. The criollos over there often clash with the indigenous - look at the racial politics of Bolivia and Venezuela. When a non-white is in office, the criollos strongly oppose. The Philippine creoles, IMO, are a lot less racist that their Latin American counterparts. The creoles over there even attempted to "whiten" their countries through encouraging European immigration post-independence. The Philippine creoles did not advocate for any of these.

Last edited by Bituingmaykinang; 02-15-2020 at 12:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2020, 01:57 PM

The bald guy here sounds more "konyo" than Manuel. Lol

Old 02-15-2020, 07:16 PM

630 posts, read 526,624 times
I've met countless Filipinos, but I've never met a Caucasoid-ish looking one. Are they rare?

Old 02-15-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
I've met countless Filipinos, but I've never met a Caucasoid-ish looking one. Are they rare?
Quite rare and they tend to be in the upper crust of the society and tend to be in business. You have to tune in to Manila High Society to even see them on TV. So you don't really see them around the streets and even rarer abroad. To meet these people, you have to be very rich, too.

This is the whitest Filipino I have seen. He is whiter than Antonio Banderas. Lol. I am pretty sure most people just assume he is a foreigner. But his accent is typical of the Filipino upper class.

Here is another rich Filipino, of Chinese descent. His accent is similar to the guy above.

Last edited by Bituingmaykinang; 02-15-2020 at 07:57 PM..

Old 02-15-2020, 07:36 PM

Another rich Filipino. He looks more Southern European.

Old 02-15-2020, 07:52 PM

Manila High Society

Old 02-15-2020, 09:14 PM

Old 02-15-2020, 09:31 PM

Old 02-16-2020, 04:37 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,011,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bituingmaykinang View Post
Quite rare and they tend to be in the upper crust of the society and tend to be in business. You have to tune in to Manila High Society to even see them on TV. So you don't really see them around the streets and even rarer abroad. To meet these people, you have to be very rich, too.

This is the whitest Filipino I have seen. He is whiter than Antonio Banderas. Lol. I am pretty sure most people just assume he is a foreigner. But his accent is typical of the Filipino upper class.

Here is another rich Filipino, of Chinese descent. His accent is similar to the guy above.

I'm not rich, but I do see Spanish-Filipinos a lot in my church. Then again, it is in a gated community which is open every Sunday for Mass.

Old 02-16-2020, 06:28 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,011,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackierudetsky View Post
Without having taken a DNA test, I am probably around 18% Spanish seeing as two out of five of my recent ancestors were Spanish. Actually, I get the impression that on anthropology forums, people want me to downplay that because while it's obvious I'm mixed in real life, it somehow doesn't translate into pictures, where I only look like I'm pale because I'm part-Chinese, and let's face it, I probably look like a wannabe with that in mind. (People on anthropology forums think most Filipinos are white worshipers, but that's not the entire story. It's mostly Filipinos on forums and Filipinos abroad who are like that. Admittedly, the Philippines is not completely comfortable in its own skin, but ''white worshiper'' does not completely describe most Filipinos. Yes, many Filipinos think of light skin as good, but I think they'd settle for looking Chinese, Korean, or pale Filipino. Also, there's a jingoistic streak found in the Philippines that is not found in most overseas Filipinos. If the Philippines was so white worshiping, shaming Filipino Anglophones would not be in and the entire Philippines would be mestizo because every woman would refuse to date Filipino men like many overseas Asians do. Damn, that was one tangent I went on.)
I'd say that white worship is more like something that bubbles under the surface instead of something that's super obvious, mostly in things like people making casually racist comments and people being overly nice to foreigners in a sheepish sort of way. Actually, I wouldn't mind this stereotype if it were at least half-true, but it's only like less than a fourth true. Like 18% true. JK.

Last edited by jackierudetsky; 02-16-2020 at 06:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia