Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 10:30 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,278,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dculross View Post
when it comes to major U.S. cities, Atlanta isn't even on the radar. Atlanta is currently competing with Omaha, Nebraska for the 40th largest city. Atlanta will never be seen as top tier.
Hahaha...you must be from an envious small city. Atlanta metro is around 6 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 10:54 PM

635 posts, read 1,510,379 times
Quote:
when it comes to major U.S. cities, Atlanta isn't even on the radar. Atlanta is currently competing with Omaha, Nebraska for the 40th largest city. Atlanta will never be seen as top tier.
Some people just can't grasp the concept of what an MSA is but is ok, you'll figure out out when you grow up and realize how ridiculous you're statement is.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:14 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
This is true! The city of Atlanta is not near the top tier of cities. However, they will say that it does not matter and that it's the metro population that counts. Yet, when someone else says its not the metro that counts, because that just looks at commuter percentages and not total population....they start whinning and cry foul. There are multiple metrics to measure and rank areas. The only one that's valid to them is the one that makes Atlanta seem the most important. I mean....there is more than one way to look at things and measure. Entities should choose the metric that is of functionai use. Individuals do not make decisions based upon some invisible boundaries that map the limits of an MSA. There access area is determined by distance and drive time.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:36 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,278,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
This is true! The city of Atlanta is not near the top tier of cities. However, they will say that it does not matter and that it's the metro population that counts. Yet, when someone else says its not the metro that counts, because that just looks at commuter percentages and not total population....they start whinning and cry foul. There are multiple metrics to measure and rank areas. The only one that's valid to them is the one that makes Atlanta seem the most important. I mean....there is more than one way to look at things and measure. Entities should choose the metric that is of functionai use. Individuals do not make decisions based upon some invisible boundaries that map the limits of an MSA. There access area is determined by distance and drive time.
By this reasoning Charlotte is slightly bigger than D.C and Jacksonville is bigger than Boston. Like one poster mentioned already the whole metro is branded by Atlanta. Places like college park, decatur and norcross have plenty of companies with Atlanta in the title.plenty of commuters flood the city for work(increasing daytime population.). I think it is obvious that Atlanta is in deep causal relationship with Its immediate surrounding. I've heard people refuse to move to Atlanta because it is "too big", im not sure Omaha has the same problem.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:59 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
You're a little late to the party. Atlanta has been top tier for several decades now.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
By this reasoning Charlotte is slightly bigger than D.C and Jacksonville is bigger than Boston. Like one poster mentioned already the whole metro is branded by Atlanta. Places like college park, decatur and norcross have plenty of companies with Atlanta in the title.plenty of commuters flood the city for work(increasing daytime population.). I think it is obvious that Atlanta is in deep causal relationship with Its immediate surrounding. I've heard people refuse to move to Atlanta because it is "too big", im not sure Omaha has the same problem.
I totally understand your point and agree. Yet, the FACT remains that the city of Atlanta proper is about the same in population as Omaha. To simply focus on that FACT, however, is deceptive because LOOKED AT ANOTHER WAY reveals that Altanta dwarfs Omaha. However, someone from Omaha could choose to simply ignore an alternate metric and say that the only thing that matters is the metric that is most favorable to Omaha. Often times we are not comparing apples to apples.

I just personally find the metrics used to rank areas flawed. Saying that Omaha is in the league with Atlanta because the cities are the same size is really not a fair comparision. Saying that Atlanta MSA is bigger than the Boston MSA might be true but it is really not an honest comparision. Saying that Atlanta is and Detroit is not in the same league, based upon MSA rankings, is really not honest either. I think to get an intelligent understanding and comparision one has to take into consideration ALL the different ways of counting people.....not just one or two.

The way I see it NY and LA are in their own club of 15 million or more. Chicago, Bay Area and DC-B-more are marginally ahead of Philly and Boston. The reason that these cities are in a league by themselves is also because they exist in mega-regions where large metro areas run contiguously together which blurs where one stops and the other starts. Hence, I place Dallas Fort Worth, Houston and Atlanta in the same club because they do not exist in mega-regions and hence all the population of an area can be credited to those metros. Detroit also exist in a mega-region where independent large metros are contiguous, blurring the lines were one starts and the other stops. Its the existance of mega-regions that makes it difficult to compare population with metros that are not part of mega-regions.

To me this is simply intelligent conversation.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 03-09-2012 at 08:17 AM..

Old 03-09-2012, 08:01 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
This is true! The city of Atlanta is not near the top tier of cities. However, they will say that it does not matter and that it's the metro population that counts. Yet, when someone else says its not the metro that counts, because that just looks at commuter percentages and not total population....they start whinning and cry foul.
Plese provide examples of Atlanta posters "whinning and cry foul."

It would appear all of the whinning is coming from outside of Atlanta.....

Old 03-09-2012, 08:06 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Quote:
That's fine about how you see detroit. I have lived in both places and an area is much more than statistics. I now live in minneapolis. Atlanta seems no more special or important to me than minneapolis. It's just another big isolated area. I dont get the hype....but I do get that yaw are sure hyped and sensitive....lol.
Stats and facts are stats and facts, they are reality no one is hyping anything. No one said you will like or dislike a place base on were they rank but regardless of that still were they rank.

So it's not so much people of hyping up Atlanta you just problem to were Atlanta ranks. and funny things is your the one sensitive to were Atlanta is ranked, and your the one hyping up places "Omaha to Atlanta" in importance......... really?

Quote:
Density doesn't make a place more important it makes it just dense. And I have tackle your issue head on, I told you why commuting matters. You have complete wrong logic to why the commuting metric matter so you don't understand the importance. Again urban areas and metros are human geography they're man made concepts. Everything in Human geography has social factors. Again city limits have no meaning other than political purposes. City usually represent the larger Metro in which the city has created.

I glade you used the term "Entities" It not even a Entity in human geography unless there's social factors. Dude you understand that right?... Your the one crying, your basically taking physically geography which is not what urban area are, cities, and metro fall under. Because cities, urban areas, and metros are Human social concepts themselves. Detroit and Atlanta are not mountains, hills, plains, a forest, a island and etc. Atlanta and Detroit are Human geography man defined socially what they are, what is and what's not the Detroit region. And under every ranking the Atlanta region is larger.

Indentured Servant, Your trying to look for an alternate metric against the basics of Human geography what constitutes a region itself.

Physical geography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Human geography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have told you individuals action are the one who creates the MSA's in the first places. Your right individuals don't move base on what government say is the MSA. The government defines what's the MSA are base on what the individuals do. These are not random places added with no substance. Your clearly not understanding this.

But that Omaha to Atlanta comparison is terrible. Atlanta has 3 major CBDs in the city has 2 major suburban CBDs. All 5 of them are bigger than DT Omaha by themselves. Why is Atlanta skyline so much larger than Omaha? Because yes Atlanta is a lot more important then Omaha is not even a fair comparison.

Omaha

Atlanta

Old 03-09-2012, 08:38 AM

CHIATLDAL,

Again you are trying to say ONLY ONE METRIC matters. You started your last post by saying that statistics are realities and facts. Well, the FACTS are the Omana and Atlanta's population are pretty comparable......but then you want to introduce tall buildings and show picutures of how Atlanta skyline is so much bigger than Omaha's. Why do you get to introduce other factors not revealed by statistics but when I try to introduce other factors not revealed by statistics you reject them?

I have been kind of a demographics and economics nerd for over 20 years. I am in my 40's now. Let me put it like this: If an English major was to read our post........they could not be silent and see the damage that we do to the English language.....lol. They will speak up and point out all the grammatical flaws in our posts. Well....that is the way I am about demographics and economics. When I see people hyping Altanta and see the numbers for Atlanta's population......I do not see the numbers as putting Atlanta in the top 10 population areas of the country. I just don't....at least not YET....but if trends continue as in the past....it will be. Areas that exist in Mega-reagions or megaoplises are in a league of their own......because those areas all bump into one another. Altlanta is not in a mega-region....

By the way....that IS an impressive view of the ATL skyline. I always liked the ATL skyline. Houston has a nice panoramic as well.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 03-09-2012 at 08:53 AM..

Old 03-09-2012, 09:20 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,189,941 times
Why is this comparison happening ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta