Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2017, 11:26 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,915,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I know a ton more about Atlanta than most of the people living there.

Quote:
All you do is hate on Cobb and my neighborhood (where the Braves now play), and it causes a defensiveness, and it turns into a conflict that doesn't need to exist
Says the poster who literally made a thread telling the City of Atlanta how it should spend IT'S transit sales tax revenue, that was approved by RESIDENTS of the City of Atlanta.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:32 PM

766 posts, read 1,114,287 times
Reality check, folks. The San Francisco Giants moved 37 miles from Candlestick Park, in the City of San Francisco to Levi's Stadium located in the far flung suburb of Santa Clara. I bet there wasn't a 100 page thread of grief about this move (like there was on the original thread announcing the move of the Braves) on the San Francisco Forum followed by this 38 page thread discussing poor attendance at Sun Trust Park with the mandatory Cobb County bashing.

The Atlanta Braves moved 2 miles outside of the Atlanta City Limits and you would have thought they moved to Chattanooga! The Dallas Cowboys play at the AT&T Stadium located in Arlington, TX - again they are not located within the Dallas city limits and I doubt there have been threads bemoaning their suburban location. The Texas Rangers play at Globe Life Park, a block away, also in Arlington.

The New England Patriots are located in Foxborough, MA a long distance from Boston and I don't see a protest about their suburban location, either.

Professional sports teams are out to make as much money as they can from ticket sales and rent from the surrounding developments. The teams don't exist to promote a municipal government. The Atlanta Braves were located at Atlanta/Fulton County Stadium and Turner Field for 50 years, yet the surrounding area never developed. No one on this Forum was complaining about the acres and acres of surface lots which existed adjacent to Turner Field, while the Braves were still playing there.

Also, the traffic Armageddon at Sun Trust Park which was forecast on this Forum, has not materialized.

The question is why is there so much anger about the Braves move to Sun Trust Park when numerous sports teams are located in suburban locations though out the country?

Old 10-04-2017, 12:45 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,135,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
Reality check, folks. The San Francisco Giants moved 37 miles from Candlestick Park, in the City of San Francisco to Levi's Stadium located in the far flung suburb of Santa Clara. I bet there wasn't a 100 page thread of grief about this move (like there was on the original thread announcing the move of the Braves) on the San Francisco Forum followed by this 38 page thread discussing poor attendance at Sun Trust Park with the mandatory Cobb County bashing.
That was the 49ers.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:48 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,915,624 times
Quote:

The Atlanta Braves moved 2 miles outside of the Atlanta City Limits and you would have thought they moved to Chattanooga! The Dallas Cowboys play at the AT&T Stadium located in Arlington, TX - again they are not located within the Dallas city limits and I doubt there have been threads bemoaning their suburban location. The Texas Rangers play at Globe Life Park, a block away, also in Arlington.

The New England Patriots are located in Foxborough, MA a long distance from Boston and I don't see a protest about their suburban location, either.

Professional sports teams are out to make as much money as they can from ticket sales and rent from the surrounding developments. The teams don't exist to promote a municipal government. The Atlanta Braves were located at Atlanta/Fulton County Stadium and Turner Field for 50 years, yet the surrounding area never developed. No one on this Forum was complaining about the acres and acres of surface lots which existed adjacent to Turner Field, while the Braves were still playing there.

Also, the traffic Armageddon at Sun Trust Park which was forecast on this Forum, has not materialized.

The question is why is there so much anger about the Braves move to Sun Trust Park when numerous sports teams are located in suburban locations though out the country?
Because we are bad sports fans, apparently.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:58 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,540,896 times
Not sure what all the ******ing and whining is about. You dont have like the Braves. Some do, some dont. Talk with your wallet and keep it pushing.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:01 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,090,243 times
Quote:
You're talking about the 49ers, and since that move dashed any hopes of SF winning the USOC bid as an Olympic host city for last year's Olympics, I'm sure that generated more animosity than a few threads on an online forum. Heck, Sen. Dianne Feinstein even tried to prevent the 49ers from using "San Francisco" in the team's name at one point. That move seemed to have more real life negative impacts than what you're seeing in Atlanta/Cobb.

The Cowboys and the Patriots haven't played in the city limits of Dallas and Boston, respectively, since 1971--an era of rampant suburbanization nationwide. Not an apples to apples comparison at all.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:22 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,540,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I certainly consider Atlanta United my summer sport replacement for the Braves.
I would agree for a few reasons. Braves games were always a cheap date option for me. I never went wishing they win or lose. One thing that did always bother me about Braves games at Turner was how to get to them and the fans. I often felt like I was in a small town when at Braves games and the stadium was never full. I was never really a soccer fan either mainly because where Im from & Atlanta didnt have a major soccer club. I used to love baseball in my old home city though. I would actually cheer for the team to win and attend with that purpose. I think the success with Atlanta United has a lot to do with Arthur Blank and his relationship with the City of Atlanta. There are other combinations in place as well. United is the only Atlanta team that does not have a losing history. Falcons lost of the Super Bowl and mediocre seasons of the Hawks helped United as well. If the Braves were good and got to the WS or NLCS I would cheer for them if they were still at Turner. I dont really wish much success for them now, so I am cool with them losing.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:26 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,643,796 times
Quote:

Don't waste your breath...there are a few on this thread who are slaves to the "ITP vs OTP, the Braves hurt our feelings" narrative.

Attendance was consistent (it sucked), performance was consistent (it sucked) and the traffic was a non-issue...yet they still whine like 4 year olds.

Oh yeah, the NY Giants and NY Jets moved to the friggin swamplands of NJ and no one threw a hissy fit.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:28 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,643,796 times
On a brighter note, I went to my first Atlanta United match last night and it was amazing!!! This may be the first Atlanta team I can support since relocating.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:30 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,135,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post

Oh yeah, the NY Giants and NY Jets moved to the friggin swamplands of NJ and no one threw a hissy fit.
As a former NYC-area resident, I beg to differ. There are still people pissed about it 30+ years later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta