Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 07:37 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,646,924 times

Advertisements

We ordered from the ZPizza place the other day (for the first time) and it was damn good. That is bad, bad news for us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 08:13 AM

27 posts, read 45,910 times
Z'Tejas plans to open a new restaurant in the Western Oaks neighborhood in late 2013, said Marketing Director Deborah Topcik.

The new eatery will be located near the northbound MoPac Lifetime Fitness, William Cannon Drive and Brushy Country Road.
Topcik confirmed the company does not plan to open a restaurant in Parkside Village on Slaughter Lane. ZTejas

Old 05-10-2012, 08:17 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,829,120 times
Yeah, they couldn't get enough parking near Parkside village. too bad.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:47 AM

46 posts, read 94,127 times
Things going into the Parkside Village Area have seemed to be slowed by two main factors... One it being in a Green area and the millions of guidelines the building must meet/exceed and also the City of Austin is a little backed up on approving building plans etc...

Build out hasn't started on the TCBY yet so I'm guessing it will be more like Middle to end of July. Haven't seen a facebook page for it yet... I'm guessing when that goes up the opening will be creeping up. I happened to be in East Texas when a new TCBY opened up and attended their grand opening event. It was pretty cool! Free yogurt and t-shirts music, balloon making clown! Hoping they do the same here. I don't care about the clown but free treat and a t-shirt I'll take that any day especially if its some of their new Greek yogurt! that stuff is good! not to mention the old time classic White Chocolate Mousse! K gotta stop thinking about it haha Oh ya I also recently heard they are also going to have the option of the old school hard packed yogurt (hand scooped like ice cream) Not sure if any of you remember the hand scooped from 80's and 90's, but its like ice cream (same consistency) just a bit healthier (must flavors that is haha)

If anyone hears anything else let us all know. I'll ask around and see what the new scoop is on developments around the area...

Old 05-11-2012, 07:47 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,575,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin=Heaven View Post
Build out hasn't started on the TCBY yet so I'm guessing it will be more like Middle to end of July.
It's good to see that TCBY is finally starting to expand in the area. When we first moved here a little over 6 years ago, there were very few yogurt shops. Then they started to pop up all over the place over the last few years.

Unfortunately, most of these yogurt shops are the build-your-own yogurt places. I liked these places at first, but I find myself being too involved with what the yogurt is going to weigh at the register. "Is this going to be a $3 yogurt or a $6 yogurt?" I like to know exactly what everything is going to cost before I walk through the door. I tend to just avoid that stress and take the family to Baskin-Robbins instead. With TCBY, you know what it's going to cost and I welcome more TCBY's so we don't have to go to the one on MLK or the one in Bee Cave (not sure if the Bee Cave one is still open as we haven't driven out to that one in a while.)

Old 05-11-2012, 07:56 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,646,924 times
As odd as it sounds, I think yogurt shops were (and for some, still are) associated with the 1991 murders:
1991 Austin yogurt shop murders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although it is pretty much random association, whenever I hear 'yogurt shop', I think of those murders .

Old 05-11-2012, 08:41 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,060,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
Unfortunately, most of these yogurt shops are the build-your-own yogurt places. I liked these places at first, but I find myself being too involved with what the yogurt is going to weigh at the register. "Is this going to be a $3 yogurt or a $6 yogurt?" I like to know exactly what everything is going to cost before I walk through the door.
Well, give it a few more tries.

We go to Froyoyo a lot near our house. It's a "build your own". It's not that hard after a while to peg the weight/price right on. I always shoot for $3 even, which means going a bit lighter on the yogurt and the fillings than the average person, but I can hit between "$2.80-$3.20 90% of the time without much mental effort.

A $6 cup would be an outlier amount. You'd have to pile it on like a pregnant woman (which I observed once) to achieve a $6 yogurt. I think most are between $3-$4.

Steve

Old 05-11-2012, 08:43 AM

The TCBY will be a Self Serve model and not the traditional store... There are tricks to filling up your cups.. but if you fill a 16 oz up up half way and the price is .42 cents an ounce you are looking at 3.36... It's all about how you swirl your yogurt. Get a cup and pull the lever down and swirl the cup around in either direction three times... bam you are looking about a $3-4 yogurt (depending on the topping you choose and how much you put on) thats pretty good considering the tastiness and the health benefits TCBY yogurt offers you (if you choose not to get candy toppings). If you go to a store more then once you get the feel for what certain price range's look like...

I'm guessing the hand scooped will be scooped by the employee's but will be charged per ounce as well...

Old 05-11-2012, 08:45 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,557,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
It's good to see that TCBY is finally starting to expand in the area. When we first moved here a little over 6 years ago, there were very few yogurt shops. Then they started to pop up all over the place over the last few years.

Unfortunately, most of these yogurt shops are the build-your-own yogurt places. I liked these places at first, but I find myself being too involved with what the yogurt is going to weigh at the register. "Is this going to be a $3 yogurt or a $6 yogurt?" I like to know exactly what everything is going to cost before I walk through the door. I tend to just avoid that stress and take the family to Baskin-Robbins instead. With TCBY, you know what it's going to cost and I welcome more TCBY's so we don't have to go to the one on MLK or the one in Bee Cave (not sure if the Bee Cave one is still open as we haven't driven out to that one in a while.)
Or a $13 yogurt When the HEB 1/2 price coupons to Berry Cool run out, I'm going to be in b-i-g trouble!

I go all the way back to 1984 with my love for TCBY, but there were so few in the Austin area, I've managed to drop the habit. When I first 'discovered' TCBY, a cone was under $1. They went up about 10% a year for a pretty good while back then.

The proliferation of 'yogurt' shops will shake out as leases run out or various brands lose their cachet...much the same as 'mail box stores', membership massage studios, tone & tan parlors, smoothie shops and whatever latest franchise darling comes along.

I'm sure someone has already done some research into what these 'yogurts' actually contain(or what the various 'toppings' contain at the end of the day ). While I can enjoy a frozen treat with the best of 'em, I have no illusions regarding the 'healthy' aspects of ice milk with a candy bar crumbled on top.

But, yeah! A new TCBY is worth the excitement! Y'all enjoy! It's probably good for me that TCBY doesn't have an Avery Ranch location!

Old 05-11-2012, 08:57 AM

Well they do have Greek... which is suppose to serve as a meal replacement.. and majority of their yogurts are No Fat added and Non fat flavors, and I believe right at 100 cals... and all contain 7 active bacteria cultures..

but yes if you pill on all the candy then you are canceling out... but that is why they offer fresh fruit... Which I ignore and go straight to the candy... but although I'm a fitness freak I enjoy my sweets and believe in rewarding myself hahaha!

TCBY - Menu + Nutrition
TCBY - Healthy Benefits

Greek
Based on 4 fl. oz. [1/2 cup] serving
Calories100
Total Fat0
Saturated0
Trans Fat0
Cholesterol2
Sodium60
Total Carbohydrate20
Dietary Fiber4
Sugar13
Protein8
Vitamin A %10
Vitamin D %20
Calcium %20

Along with their Super Fro Yo's which are:
Fiber: Must have a minimum of 3 grams
Probiotics: Must have a minimum of 7 types of live & active cultures
Vitamin D: Must have a minimum of 20% DV
Calcium: Must have a minimum of 20% DV
Protein: Must have a minimum of 4 gram
In addition to the above nutritionals, the following values are also present in Super Fro-Yo: 120 calories or less; minimum 10% DV Vitamin A; 1 gram or less of saturated fat; minimum of 20 billion live & active cultures per serving at manufacturing.

*Based on a 4 fl. oz (1/2 cup) serving. Percent DV based on 2,000 calorie diet. Information on daily values is rounded according to FDA guidelines.

Yogurt shops will begin to close down though as many are mom and pop shops that flavor their yogurt themselves and many use the same company for their yogurts... I think TCBY has the staying power though as they create their own flavors and have a "yogurtologist" who creates everything.

Guess we will all have to wait and see!! I know the kids will love it... and they are the ones that insist of going to certain places for treats haha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin