Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 11:52 PM

4 posts, read 8,969 times

Advertisements

I used to have an apartment in Subiaco, and didn't use my car much at all. Now I live in the "burbs", and life would be much harder without cars. I think the same can be said for most Australian cities - most have followed the "American" car centric model.

As for public transport between Perth and Adelaide. Perth has the far superior train system - on the Mandurah - Joondalup line during peak hour the trains are only approx 4 minutes apart, which makes getting into work quite easy. The trains have a posted limit of 130km/hr, which I remember reading makes it the fastest metro train system in the country.

Have they even electrified the train system in Adelaide yet, or do you still have those diesel trains? I remember waiting an hour and a half one stinking hot day on the Noarlunga line after the train overheated - and the air-conditioning wasn't working. Bus wise Adelaide's buses were regular, and the O-Barn was fairly interesting as a light rail replacement. Both Adelaide and Perth have a free inner city bus service, and Melbourne has the free 'loop' tram.

The tram system in Adelaide is 'interesting' since it's largely unshared with the road users for the most part. The other quirky thing I remember about Adelaide was those stupid roads that only go in one direction. They built a three-lane freeway (I think it was called the Southern Express Way), and in the morning cars were only allowed north-bound, and in the afternoon, south-bound. It was great if you were going with the peak flow, and shaved off a good deal of time. But if you were going against the flow, then you'd have to do a different route (ie, South Road), and it could take you twice as long.

One very nice thing about Perth and Adelaide is that there are no toll roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 01:20 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,093,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan77 View Post
I used to have an apartment in Subiaco, and didn't use my car much at all. Now I live in the "burbs", and life would be much harder without cars. I think the same can be said for most Australian cities - most have followed the "American" car centric model.

As for public transport between Perth and Adelaide. Perth has the far superior train system - on the Mandurah - Joondalup line during peak hour the trains are only approx 4 minutes apart, which makes getting into work quite easy. The trains have a posted limit of 130km/hr, which I remember reading makes it the fastest metro train system in the country.

Have they even electrified the train system in Adelaide yet, or do you still have those diesel trains? I remember waiting an hour and a half one stinking hot day on the Noarlunga line after the train overheated - and the air-conditioning wasn't working. Bus wise Adelaide's buses were regular, and the O-Barn was fairly interesting as a light rail replacement. Both Adelaide and Perth have a free inner city bus service, and Melbourne has the free 'loop' tram.

The tram system in Adelaide is 'interesting' since it's largely unshared with the road users for the most part. The other quirky thing I remember about Adelaide was those stupid roads that only go in one direction. They built a three-lane freeway (I think it was called the Southern Express Way), and in the morning cars were only allowed north-bound, and in the afternoon, south-bound. It was great if you were going with the peak flow, and shaved off a good deal of time. But if you were going against the flow, then you'd have to do a different route (ie, South Road), and it could take you twice as long.

One very nice thing about Perth and Adelaide is that there are no toll roads.
Yep, they still use diesel trains in Adelaide, much more dated than ours. The stations too looked pretty dated and unwelcoming, a bit like how the stations on the Fremantle and Midland lines looked about 20 years ago.

Yeah the Glenelg tram was disappointingly 'un-tramlike' for my hopes, rather detached from the road and the streetlife. Maybe it's better for speed, but it's still even slower than the Adelaide trains, which seem considerably slower than Perth trains. One time I took the train up to Gawler (if you thought Midland was bad ) and it seemed to take nearly two hours.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:02 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,687,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Yup its the iconic SA beer. fortunately its easy to find in NY (I buy it in NJ for 1.25 a bottle), I've found it in Boston and a month ago the British Consulate served it at a fundraiser for Queensland. I did have to educated the yankee bartender on how to roll the bottle prior to opening. Good stuff. Funny Aussie wine and beer at times is cheaper in the US (and Canada) than back in Oz.. to turn this post into topic..I'd vote Adelaide.. great food, wine and beer. And enough artsy stuff in Adelaide to keep you entertained.
Even Outback has Coopers for sale.

Why do you roll the bottle? I'm not a beer drinker, only had a few in my life, so I wouldn't know.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:36 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,027,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Even Outback has Coopers for sale.

Why do you roll the bottle? I'm not a beer drinker, only had a few in my life, so I wouldn't know.
Not in New Hampshire and a few other states, unfortunately. You roll to get the yeast moving, adds flavor. And I've only been to Outback in 2 years when someone told me they had Outback.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:57 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,174,461 times
[quote=ladyjane;18265291]

Perth - I've heard nice things about this city, particularly because of its petro/mining (direct flights to houston/dallas)

I don't think it's physically possible for anyone to be offering direct flights to Perth from Texas. Qantas is now flying direct Sydney-Dallas.

Qantas quits San Francisco in favor of Dallas - USATODAY.com

It's a move which has angered some who miss the Sydney-San Francisco run:

Many losers in Qantas Dallas move > AviationRecord.com - Latest and Breaking Aviation and Airline News > Search Results

Old 03-20-2011, 03:59 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,174,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjane View Post

Perth - I've heard nice things about this city, particularly because of its petro/mining (direct flights to houston/dallas)

I don't think it's physically possible for anyone to be offering direct flights to Perth from Texas. Qantas is now flying direct Sydney-Dallas.

Many losers in Qantas Dallas move > AviationRecord.com - Latest and Breaking Aviation and Airline News > Search Results

Old 03-20-2011, 06:12 PM

5,060 posts, read 7,507,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post

The good news for Texans is that the Dallas - Sydney flight is not actually a direct flight, it lands in Brisbane First.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 03-20-2011 at 07:28 PM..

Old 03-20-2011, 07:34 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,731,782 times
Wow, 15.5 hrs SYD-DFW ... no thanks.

My ideal flight to the northern hemisphere would avoid Sydney and LAX. Hate Sydney airport with a passion. Same for LAX. Brissie's much nicer. Too bad about San Francisco being dropped, we flew via there last year, then on to San Diego. Such a relief to avoid LAX for once.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:58 PM

[quote=TrueDat;18361834]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjane View Post

There are no direct flights from Perth to anywhere in the US.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Wow, 15.5 hrs SYD-DFW ... no thanks.

My ideal flight to the northern hemisphere would avoid Sydney and LAX. Hate Sydney airport with a passion. Same for LAX. Brissie's much nicer. Too bad about San Francisco being dropped, we flew via there last year, then on to San Diego. Such a relief to avoid LAX for once.
I'll be flying from Kingsford Smith to LAX in June, 15 hours, can't wait for my first taste of long-haul flying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand