Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 10:15 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,269,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
And doing 5-10 over is hardly "track" worthy, especially in light of many of our artificially low speed limits.
It's all relative, 5-10 mph over a posted limit of 70 mph on an open highway is one thing. 5-10mph over the posted limit of 30 mph in a tight residential neighborhood is another. As for the PD over looking 5-7 mph over the limit, just because the PD painstakingly calibrates their speedometers doesn't mean the rest of us does it. So they allow for a plus or minus. And besides, I talked with a Police Chief once about this subject and he told me back in his day, he didn't have to mess with people doing 7 mph over because there was plenty of people doing 12 mph over.

Anyhow, OP, I could careless if you're doing the exact speed limit, just do it in the right lane. Doing the speed limit or less in the left lanes is a wreck waiting to happen. I know you'd think you're in the right by doing the exact speed limit but you could be setting your self up for being the cause of the wreck if the traffic was flowing faster than the speed limit.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:29 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
If you drove in the correct lane the people could pass you.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:39 PM

794 posts, read 819,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
It's all relative, 5-10 mph over a posted limit of 70 mph on an open highway is one thing. 5-10mph over the posted limit of 30 mph in a tight residential neighborhood is another.
5 over in a 30 is hardly track worthy either, 30 or 35, it's not that big of a difference. 30 to 40, that's a difference.

Quote:
As for the PD over looking 5-7 mph over the limit, just because the PD painstakingly calibrates their speedometers doesn't mean the rest of us does it. So they allow for a plus or minus. And besides, I talked with a Police Chief once about this subject and he told me back in his day, he didn't have to mess with people doing 7 mph over because there was plenty of people doing 12 mph over.
Yea, they allow plus or minus, exactly. People like HorseCop harp on exact speed limits in order to justify their desire to hassle other drivers for their own amusement. It's the only argument they have to justify their lousy "holier than thou" behavior.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:04 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,191,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Your behavior towards the "speed demons" is also foolish and dangerous, not to mention stupid. You think it's a good idea to **** off people by camping out in the left lane and impeding traffic of those who want to go faster?

Yeah, great idea lady. We only have the highest concentration of concealed carry people in all the US here, you're likely to end up being shot at one day.
.A truly sad comment on today's society

Old 05-26-2014, 11:15 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,319,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
In my vehicles, especially my sports cars, I could be going 100 mph and I'd still be able to stop faster and in a shorter distance than someone driving a minivan or SUV. So you're wrong on that count.

There is a vast difference between "speeding" and driving recklessly.

I live in TX. It's a huge state, but to people who have never actually been here, most of you have no idea just how far apart things are. People in the northeast, if they drive an hour, they can cross an entire state or two. Here, driving an hour will get you from the northern most suburb of Dallas to the most southern one.

Our highways are typically speed rated at 70mph, we even have some rated at 80mph. Now, we're not using some newfangled concrete, nor do we give everyone in the state a set of special tires to drive on our roads. In other words, our roads where we are allowed to go 70 and 80 mph, are the exact same as a highway in some other state were the speed limit is 55 mph. So I could be going the speed limit in my state, but I cross over into another state where I'm forced to drive 55mph? My car didn't change. The road didn't change... only the law did. That should tell anyone that "speeding" is hardly the danger some people would like to make it out to be.

Where I live, most highways are 70mph, and most people drive at 75mph. That's a full 20 mph faster than the limit on a 55 mph highway, and amazingly, we don't seem to have problems with an exponential increase in traffic accidents or fatalities.
Why compare your sports car to an SUV? The same logic regarding stopping distances applies to your sports car. It will take a lot longer for your sports car to reach a stop from 100 MPH than it would from 65 MPH.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
5 over in a 30 is hardly track worthy either, 30 or 35, it's not that big of a difference. 30 to 40, that's a difference.

Yea, they allow plus or minus, exactly. People like HorseCop harp on exact speed limits in order to justify their desire to hassle other drivers for their own amusement. It's the only argument they have to justify their lousy "holier than thou" behavior.
The tailgaters are the ones doing the hassling. They are causing problems by exceeding the posted speed limits. And the solution seems really simple: slow down and don't drive over the speed limit. Problem solved.

The slower drivers (the ones driving under the speed limit) should stay out of the left lanes and let the faster traffic (the ones going the speed limit) pass.

But this whole 'heavy foot syndrome' seems to be rather contagious and hard to contain.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:24 PM

I bet most of these speed junkies here are the ones probably driving big SUV's and lifted pick-up trucks, the ones that suffer from that 'big car' syndrome, as in 'get outta my way my vehicle is big and bad and I own the road'! LOL

Old 05-27-2014, 12:00 AM

794 posts, read 819,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
The tailgaters are the ones doing the hassling. They are causing problems by exceeding the posted speed limits. And the solution seems really simple: slow down and don't drive over the speed limit. Problem solved.

The slower drivers (the ones driving under the speed limit) should stay out of the left lanes and let the faster traffic (the ones going the speed limit) pass.

But this whole 'heavy foot syndrome' seems to be rather contagious and hard to contain.
Tailgaters are the symptom and result of the root problem, which is the people who cannot grasp a simple concept like the fact that speed limits are enforced with a 5 to 7 mph overage by law enforcement. Speed limits are not enforced "letter of the law", this is a fact.

Using speed limits as "letter of the law" to justify a need/psychological defect to police others on the highways is where the tailgating problem most often begins. That's the root cause, morons who need to police others (because they are pathetic humans beings themselves) by parking in the left lane with the cruise set at or below the exact speed limit.

And lets be honest here - the ones who do this and argue THE LAW? They do take a smug and sick pleasure in their sad little piece of "power" for the day. It's what it's all about for them.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:15 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Why can't you drive the speed limit? Why do you have to drive faster than the posted limit?
Why do you feel the need to hold up faster moving cars, why do you feel its in anyway your busness as to how fast others drive? Just stay in your granny lane and those of us who feel like going faster than the posted speed limit will pass you by and that will be the end of it..

Old 05-27-2014, 01:28 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Not everyone who speeds has an anger problem. Some people just like to drive a bit faster than others.
To add/
Seems to me those going over the speed limit dont have an anger problem we are just driving along at the speed that feels comfortable to us which is usually 10-20mph over the limit,if this is something thats hard to deal with i'd say you got the anger problem as on the interstate every one goes over the limit..
Reminds me of the type back in grade school who sat in the front of the class and would continually bleat out teacher teacher johnny did this or Peter did that Teacher teacher Bobby isnt playing fair
Well they grew up and guess what....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive