Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 08:05 AM

790 posts, read 1,269,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
^ if it is a one lane road then it is impossible to get over obviously. if someone is tailgating you then maybe you should pull over anyway for safety reasons and let them go by incase they are crazy. but if you are on a highway than get over to the right and stop blocking traffic
LOL @ "safety reasons" if I am on a one lane street doing the speed LIMIT and someone is up my arse...

Old 05-27-2014, 08:11 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times

Heed the sign.

If you're holding people up, regardless, pull over. You're not the police.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:15 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
.A truly sad comment on today's society
Don't depend on that post being anywhere near reality in Texas. Yes, we have concealed carry. Most of the people that I know with concealed carry licenses are middle-aged to older middle to upper class women, none of whom are likely to shoot somebody for something as stupid as driving too fast or too slow.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post

Heed the sign.

If you're holding people up, regardless, pull over. You're not the police.
And this seems to be the crux of the matter - some people think that if you express an opinion that they are doing something intrinsically wrong like speeding, a clear violation of the law, that you're being the police, and their childish reaction to, as they see it, being told what to do (as is clearly evident from their idea that the legal speed limit is a "suggestion", insane as that is to any thinking person who has a basic grasp of language) is

YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME!!!!!!

Sorry, but thinking someone is a self-entitled little jackass (with the emphasis on "little" which is the word that comes to mind when seeing some of this behavior or reading the frantic justifications of it) does not constitute being or even pretending to be the police. No one is required to think that you are so special that the speed limit doesn't and shouldn't apply to you. Not only are we not the police, we are not your Mommy and don't think the world revolves around you and your whims.

Oh, and that sign? Very specialized sign for a very specialized situation on a very particular kind of mountain road. Did you REALLY think no one would realize that?

Old 05-27-2014, 08:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
speed demons by both to avoid the accident they are either going to be in or create (most likely never even realizing it in their obliviousness to anything but "Wheeee! Faster!" and to let them pick off the cops.
I'm curious as to your definition of speed demon as you seem to be bordering on psychosis on the issue.
For me a speed demon is some one who is driving much faster than the traffic flow and weaving in and out of traffic like a maniacusually has a souped up car with loud exhaust, not some one who happens to be safely passing me at 10-20mph faster in the passing lane.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm curious as to your definition of speed demon as you seem to be bordering on psychosis on the issue.
For me a speed demon is some one who is driving much faster than the traffic flow and weaving in and out of traffic like a maniacusually has a souped up car with loud exhaust, not some one who happens to be safely passing me at 10-20mph faster in the passing lane.
A speed demon is someone who is so addicted to speed that they go into withdrawal and steam starts coming out of their ears if someone in front of them is going the speed limit and thus slowing them down. They will make all sorts of excuses "but the LAW says slower traffic move right!" while ignoring the fact that the LAW says they themselves should drive no faster than the speed limit, will have absolute hissy fits at the idea that they, by violating the speed limit, are the originating cause of the problem because if they weren't violating the speed limit someone driving the speed limit in any lane wouldn't slow them down, are incapable of accepting responsibility for that and instead deem the law-abiding to be the ones in the wrong, and find the idea of slowing down to the speed limit for a few minutes as a solution absolutely unimaginable - all because of their addiction to driving fast and, preferably, faster than anyone else.

Has nothing to do with exhaust systems, type of vehicle, or weaving in and out of traffic (though they will often exhibit that latter behavior to while saying that "they MADE me do it" because heaven forbid they be responsible for their own actions).

Old 05-27-2014, 09:09 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
Quote:
A speed demon is someone who is so addicted to speed that they go into withdrawal and steam starts coming out of their ears if someone in front of them is going the speed limit and thus slowing them down. They will make all sorts of excuses "but the LAW says slower traffic move right!" while ignoring the fact that the LAW says they themselves should drive no faster than the speed limit, will have absolute hissy fits at the idea that they, by violating the speed limit, are the originating cause of the problem because if they weren't violating the speed limit someone driving the speed limit in any lane wouldn't slow them down, are incapable of accepting responsibility for that and instead deem the law-abiding to be the ones in the wrong, and find the idea of slowing down to the speed limit for a few minutes as a solution absolutely unimaginable - all because of their addiction to driving fast and, preferably, faster than anyone else.

Has nothing to do with exhaust systems, type of vehicle, or weaving in and out of traffic (though they will often exhibit that latter behavior to while saying that "they MADE me do it" because heaven forbid they be responsible for their own actions).
Push back from the keyboard, and go take your meds.

If you want to obey the law so much, then pull over, as that's the law. You can't disobey that law and then get mad at us for not obeying the law, that makes you a hypocrite. If you want to police everyone, START WITH YOURSELF! And move over. If you want us to obey all laws, then you have to obey all laws.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:

Thanks, but does this description apply to the vast majority of drivers who are just safely passing you at a reasonable 10mph faster than you? I think you are reading into peoples actions a headspace that is only in your mind..

Old 05-27-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Push back from the keyboard, and go take your meds.

If you want to obey the law so much, then pull over, as that's the law. You can't disobey that law and then get mad at us for not obeying the law, that makes you a hypocrite. If you want to police everyone, START WITH YOURSELF! And move over. If you want us to obey all laws, then you have to obey all laws.
And, while you don't want to believe it, and I can understand why it would be critical to your self-image not to believe it, as I've said numerous times, I don't drive in the left lane unless passing or exiting left (why on earth would I want to hang out with the likes of speed demons in the first place?), so I am NOT being a hypocrite. I am obeying the keep right law; you are not obeying the speed limit law; therefore you are in the wrong. Pretty simple.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:05 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,982 times
Quote:
And, while you don't want to believe it, and I can understand why it would be critical to your self-image not to believe it, as I've said numerous times, I don't drive in the left lane unless passing or exiting left (why on earth would I want to hang out with the likes of speed demons in the first place?), so I am NOT being a hypocrite. I am obeying the keep right law; you are not obeying the speed limit law; therefore you are in the wrong. Pretty simple.
What many people don't seem to get is that each and every one of the rules of the road have equal weight. Everyone should keep right except to pass, everyone should obey the speed limits, everyone should signal when they are going to turn or change lanes, and everyone should yield the right of way when they are supposed to.

Some people seem to think the speed limit is the only rule that counts, and others seem to think the keep right rule is the only one that counts. I follow both, because that's what the law says, and because I am safer for following the rules of the road than not. They are there for a reason!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive