Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 07:50 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,796,980 times

Advertisements

I stop at a stop sign.
No cars are approaching at a legal speed within range of a possible collision if I pull out now.
In other words, it is safe to proceed unless someone illegally speeds.

Whose fault would a collision be?
The driver who stopped, looked, and proceeded, or the illegal speeder who would have had the right of way had he not been speeding?

"I could have made it had that other guy not been speeding."

What caused this collision?

Old 06-02-2014, 08:13 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,234,493 times
Why are people here so concerned about people tailgating them? If someone is tailgating me then so be it. They're the one putting themselves at risk. I can easily brake hard and leave them with no choice but to rear end me with all the liability on their shoulders for tailgating me and causing damage.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:20 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,473,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
I stop at a stop sign.
No cars are approaching at a legal speed within range of a possible collision if I pull out now.

The driver who stopped, looked, and proceeded, or the illegal speeder who would have had the right of way had he not been speeding?

Probably the driver who stopped and (probably didn't well enough) looked, because unless the guy is going 200 mph it's not that hard to judge whether it is safe to go or not regardless of the speed

Old 06-02-2014, 08:23 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,826,444 times
Quote:
I stop at a stop sign.

You did.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:25 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,826,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You can tiptoe around it all you want to, but speeding does indeed cause accidents.
I did not say that speeding is never a cause of any accident. I said that that post does not say that it is a cause of accidents.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:56 AM

159 posts, read 292,385 times
Quote:
I stop at a stop sign.

If he had right of way then it is your fault. By stopping and looking, its your judgement call as to whether you should proceed. You can't technically tell the exact speed he is traveling.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:21 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,796,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyname10 View Post
If he had right of way then it is your fault. By stopping and looking, its your judgement call as to whether you should proceed. You can't technically tell the exact speed he is traveling.
Does he legally still have the right of way if he is illegally speeding?

Old 06-02-2014, 09:25 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,298,006 times
Quote:
Does he legally still have the right of way if he is illegally speeding?
High horses are easy to fall off of. How much he should or shouldn't have the right of way doesn't matter if you pull out in front of him and physics takes over.

Pay attention to the world around you and it won't matter what other people are doing. in this case, You have the ability to avoid an accident by simply waiting until he passes. Then you can be both right AND alive.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:29 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
It is fascinating to watch people try to justify breaking the law as being hunky dory and obeying the law to be a Bad Thing, all because they want to drive really really fast and want it to be okay that they think the speed limit doesn't apply to them.

Sort of like watching the proverbial ostrich sticking its head in the sand and thinking no one can see its derriere. Would be hilarious if they weren't doing it on the public roadways.

Here's the facts, folks. If you're driving weally weally fast as some of you clearly think is your God given right, and someone else does something and you end up in an accident with them and someone dies, the accident may (or may not, if your rate of speed is why you couldn't avoid it) be their fault, but the death is directly attributable to the high rate of speed at which YOU were driving. That's why speed is a factor in a large percentage of FATAL accidents - they wouldn't have been fatal if one or both of the drivers hadn't been speeding.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:41 AM

159 posts, read 292,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
It is fascinating to watch people try to justify breaking the law as being hunky dory and obeying the law to be a Bad Thing, all because they want to drive really really fast and want it to be okay that they think the speed limit doesn't apply to them.

Sort of like watching the proverbial ostrich sticking its head in the sand and thinking no one can see its derriere. Would be hilarious if they weren't doing it on the public roadways.

Here's the facts, folks. If you're driving weally weally fast as some of you clearly think is your God given right, and someone else does something and you end up in an accident with them and someone dies, the accident may (or may not, if your rate of speed is why you couldn't avoid it) be their fault, but the death is directly attributable to the high rate of speed at which YOU were driving. That's why speed is a factor in a large percentage of FATAL accidents - they wouldn't have been fatal if one or both of the drivers hadn't been speeding.
Oh I forgot. Speeding is the only law that matters.
You can pull out in front of oncoming traffic but heaven forbid someone goes 1 mile over the posted limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive