Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2014, 09:16 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,104,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Except you'll likely never realize that you've encountered me on the road because, as I've said, I'm always driving in the right or center lane, never in the left, except to pass,
Yeah, no one's buying that story honey.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:27 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Yeah, no one's buying that story honey.
Of course, you aren't, McKinneyOwnr. You have too much invested in not believing it, speeding/tailgating driver that you most likely are.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:29 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,104,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Of course, you aren't, McKinneyOwnr. You have too much invested in not believing it, speeding/tailgating driver that you most likely are.
I think I'll just let the number of people who are always against your irrational posting on these topics speak for themselves.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:30 PM

860 posts, read 2,205,778 times
Maybe the folks who want to enforce the speed limit in the fast lane should go become cops. Otherwise quit being a wannabe and keep your road boulder to the far right lane.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:36 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,825 times
Wow..people really take being tailgated so personally?? To me, some drivers want to go faster than others...I would just move over and let them go past you. Unless your car has sirens and a state trooper logo it's not your place to enforce the speed limit.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:17 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
Wow..people really take being tailgated so personally?? To me, some drivers want to go faster than others...I would just move over and let them go past you. Unless your car has sirens and a state trooper logo it's not your place to enforce the speed limit.
The ones who take it personally are the ones who park it in the left lane on the interstate, heads held high in the air, with the mentality that nobody must go faster than the speed limit, it's their problem if they do, etc.

These people cause the majority of traffic jams in major cities... that and the elderly.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:38 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,608,265 times
33 pages and you're still feeding the troll? LOL!

Old 05-31-2014, 10:35 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,319,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
The ones who take it personally are the ones who park it in the left lane on the interstate, heads held high in the air, with the mentality that nobody must go faster than the speed limit, it's their problem if they do, etc.

These people cause the majority of traffic jams in major cities... that and the elderly.
The majority of traffic jams? LOL.....Evidence, please?

Traffic jams tend to be caused by many different things: road construction, lane closures, rush hour traffic, etc.
But according to you, the majority of traffic jams in our cities would be eliminated by speed-limit obeyers staying out of the left lanes. Marvelous, just marvelous. Well, now that you've uncovered the major reason for traffic jams, what's next on your agenda?

Old 06-01-2014, 07:29 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I have no idea if people get pulled over for camping in the left lane, but do know people rarely get pulled over for going 5-10mph over the speed limit. How do I know this, you ask? Because the left/middle-lane traffic on most freeways here runs about 10mph (if not more) over the limit, and I've passed enough cops while on these freeways to know they ignore it. Otherwise we'd all be getting pulled over daily! I've passed cops going as fast as 15mph over without catching their attention, but that seems to be the threshold.
Driving slower than traffic in the left lane should be against the law, unless that person is within a mile of a left exit. But the idiots that go absolutely crazy when they get behind a car in the left lane who DARES to drive anywhere close to the speed limit do provide some entertainment for me.

I'll say this, tailgaters/aggressive drivers IMO are not very big thinkers or big picture people. They definitely live in the here and now for sure.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:54 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Who the heck drives the speed limit? They set those artificially low to begin with, either to make it easier to write tickets or because they figure 99% of drivers will be going 5-10 mph over the limit anyway.
Speed limits were lowered a few decades ago to save fuel, not for safety reasons. Some states have raised those limits; others have not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
It says "contributing factor" not cause. Then it says "results". It's one or the other, not both. "Speeding related" later on seems to confirm that it is only a "contributing factor" and not the cause.
Sorry, the author was telling you speed is the cause. If it was a contributing factor, removing it would have prevented the accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Mere speeding can't be a sole cause of an accident, there must be another factor such as failure to yield, following too close, improper lane change, failure to maintain control, or something similar in addition to speeding; otherwise a collision can not occur.

Speeding makes such an accident worse, and increases the probability of it occurring.
Speeders miss curves and hit trees or utility poles all the time. You may consider that "failure to maintain control", but if the driver had not been speeding he would not have lost control.

Car Accidents Caused by Speeding in Florida

"Another interesting fact notated in the report had to do with the abolishment of the National Maximum Speed Limit in December 1995. According to researchers, after the National Maximum Speed Limit was abolished, the number of speeding-related fatalities has gradually gone up on roads with speed limits of 65 mph or higher, while the number of fatalities on roads with a speed limit under 50 mph has remained stable."

"NHTSA researchers found that auto accidents caused by a driver who was exceeding the legal speed limit or driving too fast for conditions, costs billions of dollars annually. Every year, almost one-third of motor vehicle fatalities are speed-related."

"About 40 percent of speeding-related fatal crashes happened when the driver was negotiating a curve."

Do not try to say speeding does not cause accidents. It does.

Recently, near where I live, a speeder on a four lane road rear-ended a vehicle and sent it into another vehicle that was stopped on a side street. The driver of the stationary car was killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive