Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2014, 10:30 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You are using a ambulance chasing lawyers website as a source? That's worse then Wikipedia, and I can go right now make make wiki say what ever I want

Old 06-01-2014, 10:40 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
From the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (not Wikipedia, which I agree with you is not a primary source):

HTSA considers a crash to be speeding-related if the driver was charged with a
speeding-related offense or if an officer indicated that racing, driving too fast for
conditions, or exceeding the posted speed limit was a contributing factor in the
crash.

Speeding is one of the most prevalent factors contributing to traffic crashes. The
economic cost to society of speeding-related crashes is estimated by NHTSA to be
$40.4 billion per year. In 2007, speeding was a contributing factor in 31 percent of all
fatal crashes, and 13,040 lives were lost in speeding-related crashes.

The total economic cost of crashes was estimated at $230.6 billion in 2000. Motor
vehicle crashes cost society an estimated $7,300 per second. In 2000, the cost of
speeding-related crashes was estimated to be $40.4 billion — $76,865 per minute or
$1,281 per second.

Speeding reduces a driver’s ability to steer safely around curves or objects in the
roadway, extends the distance necessary to stop a vehicle, and increases the distance
a vehicle travels while the driver reacts to a dangerous situation.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:42 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
And the National Safety Council:

Speed is involved in about one out of three fatal crashes, according to NHTSA. It is the third leading contributing factor to traffic crashes. But while injuries and fatalities due to other dangerous behaviors, such as driving while impaired and not wearing seatbelts, have been significantly reduced, speeding is still a challenge.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:47 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
You are using a ambulance chasing lawyers website as a source? That's worse then Wikipedia, and I can go right now make make wiki say what ever I want
Apparently you thought it was beneath you to actually read the link. The information quoted in the article is from the NHTSA. In case you are unfamiliar with it, that is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/812021.pdf

Old 06-01-2014, 02:57 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,288,814 times
It's always been my understanding that the leftmost lane was reserved for the fastest drivers regardless of the speed limit. If a driver in the left lane isn't at the very least moving faster than the traffic on the right, or if the right lane is free and a faster driver comes up behind them...then that motorist needs to yield to the faster traffic. Drivers who refuse to do this, are indeed disrupting the flow of traffic since most people would rather drive faster than be slowed unnecessarily by a careless motorist.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:23 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,288,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
From the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (not Wikipedia, which I agree with you is not a primary source):

HTSA considers a crash to be speeding-related if the driver was charged with a
speeding-related offense or if an officer indicated that racing, driving too fast for
conditions, or exceeding the posted speed limit was a contributing factor in the
crash.

Speeding is one of the most prevalent factors contributing to traffic crashes. The
economic cost to society of speeding-related crashes is estimated by NHTSA to be
$40.4 billion per year. In 2007, speeding was a contributing factor in 31 percent of all
fatal crashes, and 13,040 lives were lost in speeding-related crashes.

The total economic cost of crashes was estimated at $230.6 billion in 2000. Motor
vehicle crashes cost society an estimated $7,300 per second. In 2000, the cost of
speeding-related crashes was estimated to be $40.4 billion — $76,865 per minute or
$1,281 per second.

Speeding reduces a driver’s ability to steer safely around curves or objects in the
roadway, extends the distance necessary to stop a vehicle, and increases the distance
a vehicle travels while the driver reacts to a dangerous situation.
According to same study there were almost twice as many speeding-related crashes that occurred at 35mph (1,485) than occurred at speeds above 65mph (776). Also only 12% of speed related fatalities took place on Interstate Highways, where most of the aggressive tailgating takes place. Sounds like I should be more afraid of driving in a school zone than a 75 zone.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:09 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:

Sorry, the author was telling you speed is the cause. If it was a contributing factor, removing it would have prevented the accident.
Again, if it was the cause they would say so. Instead they use words like "contributing factor" or "related". "Contributing factor" does not mean that removing it would prevent the accident. It could have contributed to the severity of the accident rather than being a cause in any way, and still be a contributing factor.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:47 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I had an incident just the other day when someone did this, on a two-lane residential street with a twenty-five-mile per hour limit. I was driving at the limit, when a small Mazda rapidly accelerated out of a side street and then appeared to be inspecting the rear bumper for any scratches for me. After a blast from the horn, and being flipped off out the window, I pulled over and let an 18-20 year-old woman pass. Pity that she was so focused on getting around me and speeding that she did not notice the patrol officer who routinely parks his motorcycle and radar gun under a grove of trees near the stop sign at the end of a long stretch of straight roadway. She accelerated up to about fifty, which would be reckless driving, if he decided to go with that number.

Perhaps she will learn that the guy driving a car with more than twice her horsepower, and much better handling characteristics, at the speed limit is doing so for a reason, although I never drive fast in a residential zone. The car was local (to the county), but a high school district that is in another part of the county, so someone not intimately familiar with the judicious policing of this particular town with respect to vehicular speed. I could have maintained the speed and she would have avoided a ticket, but on a sunny afternoon, I knew that there would be at least one MPO to catch people on that stretch, so let her have at her reckless sprint.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 06-01-2014 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-01-2014, 07:41 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Again, if it was the cause they would say so. Instead they use words like "contributing factor" or "related". "Contributing factor" does not mean that removing it would prevent the accident. It could have contributed to the severity of the accident rather than being a cause in any way, and still be a contributing factor.
You can tiptoe around it all you want to, but speeding does indeed cause accidents.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:32 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
You can tiptoe around it all you want to, but speeding does indeed cause accidents.

It does not. Lack of control causes accidents.

Any rear end accident lists speed as a factor, and even driving UNDER the speed limit in an accident will have speed listed as a factor.

If speed itself caused accidents then most drivers in the world would have accidents as most drivers drive over the speed limit, and yet only 3% of drivers per year have accidents in the US. If speed caused accidents then the death rate on the Autobahn would be MUCH higher than it is here in the US, but it's not. Why? Because driving fast does not cause accidents! Driving POORLY causes accidents and that can happen at ANY speed. That's why MOST accidents happen at LOW speeds. When Montana removed it's speed limits, the roads did not run red with blood. And they only put speed limits back in place because the federal government threatened to remove highway funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive