Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 01:33 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post

There is a vast difference between "speeding" and driving recklessly.

The very heart of the matter..

Old 05-27-2014, 04:32 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,455,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
In case anyone didnt notice the LIMIT is the LIMIT not a suggestion. Why do people ride peoples *** that do the limit? I am not going to risk getting a ticket just because YOU didnt leave 5 minutes earlier for your crappy job.
Because I'm tired to looking at the back of your crappy car and trying to get around you while you text.

Last edited by BucFan; 05-27-2014 at 04:45 AM..

Old 05-27-2014, 05:26 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Let's think about this for a minute. So, what if this person riding your ass is trying to get somewhere important, like a hospital because a relative was just admitted. What if their child had an accident at school? There are numerous emergency situations that can come up but your self centered self can't look past your own thought.

You automatically assume that he or she is being a pr!ck because you are doing the speed limit and their are on your @ss. How about doing the courteous thing and move over so they can pass.
Hmmmm and when you are in the right lane or there is only one? Happens all the time

Old 05-27-2014, 05:43 AM

790 posts, read 1,269,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Because I'm tired to looking at the back of your crappy car and trying to get around you while you text.
brb 2012 Acura, what do you drive?

Old 05-27-2014, 06:43 AM

221 posts, read 335,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Or gazing lovingly at photos of yourself on Failbook while smugly 'showing' your fellow motorists how fast they should be going

Old 05-27-2014, 07:08 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
I bet most of these speed junkies here are the ones probably driving big SUV's and lifted pick-up trucks, the ones that suffer from that 'big car' syndrome, as in 'get outta my way my vehicle is big and bad and I own the road'! LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
To add/
Seems to me those going over the speed limit dont have an anger problem we are just driving along at the speed that feels comfortable to us which is usually 10-20mph over the limit,if this is something thats hard to deal with i'd say you got the anger problem as on the interstate every one goes over the limit..
Reminds me of the type back in grade school who sat in the front of the class and would continually bleat out teacher teacher johnny did this or Peter did that Teacher teacher Bobby isnt playing fair
Well they grew up and guess what....
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
Why would you not? If someone is up on my rear end, I need to give myself more time to react, so my stops can be slower and more gradual, should something happen. The primary objective when I drive is not to get hit by someone else. If someone is right on my butt at 55 miles per hour, he'll be in my trunk if I need to stop suddenly!

Driver's ed will teach you to slow down when being tailgated, for that reason, and to encourage the guy to pass. If there's an extra lane and it is safe to move over, that's another good way to shake a tailgater.

I've even had nimrods tailgating me in the far right lane of the Interstate, with a wide open passing lane!
Bada Bing

Old 05-27-2014, 07:50 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
There was a case related to this not far from where I live a few years ago. Some pecker head was moderating speed in the left lane and some woman (yes a woman) followed her (both were women) off the interstate when she exited. When they came to a red light, the enraged driver ran up to her window and they got in an argument and then the enraged driver pulled a gun and blew the back side of her head off.

What is the lesson here? The one you are blocking may just be a mental time bomb waiting to go off so why not just let them go on however fast they want to go instead of taking the chance of becoming a victim?

If I am running 85 or 90 and someone comes up behind me, I move over and let them go on. What do I care if they want to run 100? The sooner they go past and get a mile ahead, the less likely I am to be involved in the accident if they were to cause one. I definitely don't want them jerking back and forth between lanes or even worse passing me on the shoulder like I have witnessed several times in the past.
Now, what if the person who is being tailgated happens to have a gun and a hair-trigger temper? That's equally possible, you know.

So wouldn't the reasonable thing for everyone to do, based on your advice above, be for those who are driving below the limit to move right and for those who wish to drive the limit to pass them in the left lane, and for no one to speed OR drive less than the limit lest they annoy someone who takes umbrage at that and has a gun?

In other words, you're advising letting the inmates run the asylum.

I do agree with letting the speed demons by both to avoid the accident they are either going to be in or create (most likely never even realizing it in their obliviousness to anything but "Wheeee! Faster!" and to let them pick off the cops.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:52 AM

790 posts, read 1,269,417 times
NOONE is addressing the issue of what if you are on a 2 lane avenue or one lane street?

Why do all you idiots assume you can only speed on an interstate?

Old 05-27-2014, 07:55 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,472,570 times
^ if it is a one lane road then it is impossible to get over obviously. if someone is tailgating you then maybe you should pull over anyway for safety reasons and let them go by incase they are crazy. but if you are on a highway than get over to the right and stop blocking traffic

Old 05-27-2014, 08:05 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
5 over in a 30 is hardly track worthy either, 30 or 35, it's not that big of a difference. 30 to 40, that's a difference.

Yea, they allow plus or minus, exactly. People like HorseCop harp on exact speed limits in order to justify their desire to hassle other drivers for their own amusement. It's the only argument they have to justify their lousy "holier than thou" behavior.
Oh, YOU'RE one of those craziess that neighbors complain about zoomie zooming through their neighborhoods when they're working on getting speed control devices installed! Wondered who that was.

You've just proven that your analysis of what a safe speed is is WAY out of whack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive