Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2016, 01:10 PM

26,192 posts, read 21,595,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
3 X 15 is 75?

Huh?
I'm being obtuse?!

What I'm saying is regular driving (10-15k miles a year) vs like 6 or 7k a year will make very little difference in your depreciation.

25k a year will tank the crap out of any car, but the cars we're talking about (not collector cars, just normal $120k cars that y'all brought up) take huge hits right off the bat and mileage influences it less than you think. Especially in the non-crazy range.

Did you start off asking me why? And when I gave my opinion of why I wouldn't want to do something you try and convince me otherwise? A 3 year old 911 with 18k is going to depreciate less than a 45k mile porche all things else being equal. If you think the difference is very little, okay but I don't agree with you

Old 07-15-2016, 01:12 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,899,456 times
You guys want a corvette then simply buy a late 70s C3 like I did a decade ago. They are slow in stock form but you take off the pollution crap, open up the exhaust, maybe add some headers and manifold and let it breath, maybe performance heads, and you have a 400 HP, 13 second car (1/4 mile).
Plus the C3's have that classic stingaray look. C4's you can also buy for a bargain although then you start getting out of the carbureted models so a bit harder to work on.

Guys that buy C4's and prior models are corvette guys. Guys buying later models are in most cases "guys that own corvettes". Huge difference.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:18 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
I always thought the Vette is the working guy's sports car. You can actually save up and buy one. During the recession they were unloading vettes for $58k that's the price of a base model M3.
The Mustang is the blue collar sports car. Vettes are far from prestigious, probably the CTS-V more so because of the luxury badge. They both have the same engine.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:41 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,647,874 times
As a used car dealer I couldn't care less who's buying my Corvettes, how much they earn, or their mindset. Honestly, you guys way over analyze this.

Anyway, this car has always been a high grosser for me, so if you have the cash, I'll sell you any year vette that you desire. Actually, if you have the cash, I'll sell you any car you want.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:12 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
but Chevrolet will give you a loaner car while your car is under warranty and if it is in during a warranty repair and it will take more than a business day..
Only if you bought the car from them.
At least here.
I think we can agree the policies vary.
Toyota didn't have any kind of loaner for me when I took in my 4 Runner.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:23 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,780,723 times
Quote:
At least here.
Well I'm specifically talking about Chevy since it is the Corvette in question. The loaner program for a warranty job on a new Chevy is nationwide, if a particular dealer plays favorites towards people that bought a car from them on discretionary loaners is one thing, but they aren't supposed to do that on a warranty claim. Either they provide one or if they are out then they call Enterprise or Alamo or whoever. But again, I will concede that in my experience luxury dealers tend to keep armadas of loaners in stock and will through them at people even if all they are doing is getting new windshield washer blades.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:37 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Well I'm specifically talking about Chevy since it is the Corvette in question. The loaner program for a warranty job on a new Chevy is nationwide, if a particular dealer plays favorites towards people that bought a car from them on discretionary loaners is one thing, but they aren't supposed to do that on a warranty claim. Either they provide one or if they are out then they call Enterprise or Alamo or whoever. .
I was talking about Chevy.
I even called and asked.

Loaners only for warranty work and IF you bought the car from that dealership.

I can PM you the name of the dealership.

Thanks for letting me know what the policy should be. Yet another strike to what I consider a really crappy dealership overall. And this is in a really fancy town that favors customer service.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:30 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,240,340 times
Quote:
At least here.
If you're having it serviced where you buy it, just tell them at the time of purchase that you'll need a loaner when you drop your car off for service.

I have a lowly Prius, but before signing papers for it, I said I'd like to have a loaner when I need servicing. No problem. The manager told me they'd appreciate it if I'd contact my salesman the day before I'm bringing in the Prius, and he'd make sure I had a loaner ready and waiting.

I drop it off every 5,000 miles (every other month) and have always had the use of one of their used cars for the hour or two it takes to do their thing to the Prius. A few times I haven't notified my salesman that I'd be coming the next day, and in those cases it's taken them 5-10 minutes to get a tag on a car and its keys in my hand. I don't think my loaner has ever been more than a couple years old, usually newer. The last one only had a few hundred miles on it.

It does depend on the dealer. Before the Prius I owned an F250 pickup. They had loaners, but it was only a few (3 or 4) that they had specifically as loaners. You often had to reserve one ahead of time, and if none were available, they'd drive you where you wanted to go and pick you up later, but there would be no loaner.

Years ago I owned a couple Saab 9000 Turbos. I bought the first one in Rapid City, SD, and when I needed a loaner I got a newish luxury car to drive -- the first time it was a Audi with 10 miles on it. (This was to drive to my home 150 miles away and use for a week.) I bought the second Saab in Billings, MT. They had ONE loaner, usually available, but it was about 15 years old and had 100K+ miles on it! (My kids and I enjoyed it, but my wife had a fit every time we borrowed it.)

Old 07-15-2016, 09:34 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,324,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
You guys want a corvette then simply buy a late 70s C3 like I did a decade ago. They are slow in stock form but you take off the pollution crap, open up the exhaust, maybe add some headers and manifold and let it breath, maybe performance heads, and you have a 400 HP, 13 second car (1/4 mile).
Plus the C3's have that classic stingaray look. C4's you can also buy for a bargain although then you start getting out of the carbureted models so a bit harder to work on.

Guys that buy C4's and prior models are corvette guys. Guys buying later models are in most cases "guys that own corvettes". Huge difference.
Late 70s Corvettes have awful quality/reliability reputations, IIRC. Perhaps early 70s models is a good way to go. I guess more money, though.

Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-18-2016 at 10:19 AM..

Old 07-16-2016, 08:21 AM

2,619 posts, read 2,337,427 times
Am I the only one who sees the current Corvette's as a performance bargain? Please explain to me if I am wrong. Plus, the Z06 is one of the most powerful cars on the road. I would love to have one and I'm a 30 year old white male who is a professional. I would think my advanced degrees wouldn't make me redneck, but in reading this thread, I might just need to move to the dirty south.

I mostly see older males near retirement or currently retired driving 'Vettes around here. I can't say I have ever seen some scummy, redneck driving one?

This thread is very entertaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive