Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 06:26 AM

887 posts, read 1,215,545 times

Advertisements

I don't know as I'm really not a huge car fanatic and don't keep up with them much. As far as the Corvette I can only say it always was and still is my so called 'dream car'.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:20 PM

772 posts, read 935,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Relaying his experiences with the brand is not whining, especially as it's a well known issue now.

Took GM to court over dropped valve, and.... - Corvette Forum

You obviously have no idea the lengths GM will go to avoid taking responsibility for their own flawed products.

Court: Ignition-switch lawsuits against GM can proceed

Now here's what a car company who DOES care about it's customers does when a problem arises.

911 GT3 recall update: Porsche reportedly replacing all engines | Autoweek

Thomas Crown, why didn't you sue GM for damages? If I was out that much money I definitely would have gotten a lawyer involved.
Thanks.

Well, you've sort of answered your own question with your link. That guy posted his experience fighting GM after 20 months, and posted in June 2011. So his situation started around the beginning of 2010, late 2009. My situation happened about a year earlier, there were simply no accounts of something similar happening online yet.

I am also no engineer. I didn't have the experience to be able to identify what the problem was... all I knew was what GM told me, that the tune had caused a lean condition resulting in detonation, the valve dropping due to the guide deforming, and so on. It sounded like an incredibly weak explanation at the time, but I couldn't prove any different.

I never took it to an independent shop, you figure the factory would know their car the best. That, in hindsight, was my mistake. But, when you're already looking at a $10k+ repair bill, having the car towed to someone else to take a look at it seemed like wasting even more money. I also didn't have the time or desire to take a big company to court when my knowledge of the situation was far less than that other guy... and they still fought him for 20 months before they caved!

Now, things are different. GM is routinely paying out for new headwork to be done BEFORE the engine suffers damage. There's a known history for sloppy build quality on the LS7 heads, and a lot of guys have stuck it to GM to foot the bill for a rebuild.

I don't know what the statute of limitations is on something like this, but it would be pretty hard to go back and expect any restitution 7+ years later. About 2012 or so I did think about it, as more and more guys were coming out with the same issue, so it clearly had nothing to do with a tune being on the car. But at that point I'd already gotten rid of the car years ago, and simply didn't want to waste any more of my time on GM and their products.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:24 PM

772 posts, read 935,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
No, I'm still satisfied that I'm right. But thanks though.
You'd have to know something about the situation at hand to be "right" about it. None of your responses have anything to do with the situation I was in, and are just ignorant comments.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:53 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
They're not even the same type of car. It's like saying my Tahoe is better than your motorcycle.
3 Series is a fine car if you want to hide in a crowd and not be noticed by anyone.
I don't get the huge ego thing about a 3-series BMW. My last office job, there were three M3's in the parking lot. A vanilla 3-series is what the 30 year old engineers who didn't have a mortgage and kids drove.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:55 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I don't get the huge ego thing about a 3-series BMW. My last office job, there were three M3's in the parking lot. A vanilla 3-series is what the 30 year old engineers who didn't have a mortgage and kids drove.
To me the 3 Series is the Camry of the sport car world. Ubiquitous and very easily attainable.

Not to say it's a bad car. Nothing wrong with it but nothing special either. Just saying people driving them shouldn't be trashing other peoples idea of "special" or "prestigious" car.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:13 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
3 series is a popular family car in parts of Europe and to me similar to Camry in the States...

Own or owned both without any major problems... the 3 has had more repairs than the Toyota...

BMW... several Window Regulators, AC Fan Resistor, Voltage Regulator, Washer Pump.

Toyota... nothing.

Corvette is a head turner in Germany and I would imagine all of Europe.

A few years back Jay Leno and his wife toured Europe in a new Corvette and they had a blast... especially on parts of the Autobahn with no speed limits... he said the Corvette made the trip for him...

Old 07-19-2016, 03:00 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
To me the 3 Series is the Camry of the sport car world. Ubiquitous and very easily attainable.

Not to say it's a bad car. Nothing wrong with it but nothing special either. Just saying people driving them shouldn't be trashing other peoples idea of "special" or "prestigious" car.
I don't generally, but a Corvette is basically the Lexus of the sports car world. Bland, boring, and completely uninteresting.

By the way, would it make you feel better if I said I passed on the M3 because the current generation of M3 is fairly old and and the performance difference between the M3 and the 340i wasn't worth the significant cost difference?

Old 07-19-2016, 03:09 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
I don't generally, but a Corvette is basically the Lexus of the sports car world. Bland, boring, and completely uninteresting.

By the way, would it make you feel better if I said I passed on the M3 because the current generation of M3 is fairly old and and the performance difference between the M3 and the 340i wasn't worth the significant cost difference?
Same as 3 Series as I pointed out. People in glass houses...

Old 07-19-2016, 03:37 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:

I get you don't like Corvettes, but it sounds a bit desperate to call them "bland and boring" when you're sitting in the German answer to the Accord.

Old 07-19-2016, 04:00 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:

The corvette while a top tier car in GMs line up is not top tier in the automotive world. It is top tier in performance overall and relative to its cost is a bargain compared to some of the euro counterparts. That the sale, it may be uninteresting if you don't care about performance. Gm also out together a Camaro that performs just as well as the m4 for roughly half the cost. Are those cars crossshopped? Nope but for the performance the Camaro is a bargain as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive