Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2016, 11:43 AM

8,548 posts, read 10,969,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
At 70 years old I bought a 2004 C-5 Corvette because I damn well wanted a good sports car I could afford. After driving me and my wife from southern NH to Yellowstone NP and back last summer I realized I bought a great touring car as well.

I did not buy this car to impress my friends and I could not care less what complete strangers think of me. I do care about what I experience driving this fine car. I am glad I bought it and I expect many, many more years of fun.
I have 7 years on you, bought my 04 convertible 2 years ago, and absolutely love it.
I have owned many vehicles over the course of my life from cadillacs to pickups, and my Vette is the most impressive, fun to drive vehicle I have ever owned.

In one of the post someone mentioned the Corvettes don't garner much attention by the average public.
That is certainly not the case with my Vette,
Not a day goes by that someone doesn't compliment my convertible, and it is my daily driver.

Bob.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:17 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,762,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
I would think my advanced degrees wouldn't make me redneck, but in reading this thread, I might just need to move to the dirty south.
Naw man...rednecks dont just live in the south. You can do fine right where youre at.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:10 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,838,708 times
I always loved Corvettes, especially early C3's. I bought my '69 when I was 32 years old, already married w/kids. A used C6 is a helluva "bang for the buck" though. I am sure some buy Vettes to show off, compensate, whatever. For me though, it is just about the beauty of the car and fulfilling a dream I had since I was in elementary school.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:34 PM

876 posts, read 812,849 times
The Corvette is an iconic car which has evolved over time to become more and more track oriented. The lowest powered model today can blow the doors off any previous generation.

I don't know if I would use the word "prestige" with a Corvette. It seems more of a grown-up toy, in your face, unpretentious type of car. Personally I couldn't drive one (even if I could afford it) because it screams "Look at me!" a little too much. But some people can pull it off, they have a relatively inexpensive high performance car at 1/2 to 1/4 the price of similar European brand supercars.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:56 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,334,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Naw man...rednecks dont just live in the south. You can do fine right where youre at.
Perfect!!!

I'm taking my 640 credit score and $33k/year income in tomorrow to secure a loan on a new 'Vette beauty!

Old 07-16-2016, 02:08 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,415,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
The Corvette is an iconic car which has evolved over time to become more and more track oriented. The lowest powered model today can blow the doors off any previous generation.

I don't know if I would use the word "prestige" with a Corvette. It seems more of a grown-up toy, in your face, unpretentious type of car. Personally I couldn't drive one (even if I could afford it) because it screams "Look at me!" a little too much. But some people can pull it off, they have a relatively inexpensive high performance car at 1/2 to 1/4 the price of similar European brand supercars.
That! But to each his / her own. I've never cared for them at any price. I've never wanted that much attention on the road.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:42 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Late 70s Corvettes have awful quality/reliability reputations, IIRC. Perhaps early 70s models is a good way to go. I guess more money, though.
Yeah they have a bad reputation because they were so slow in stock form, but all the cars from that era are. Quality/reliability doesn't really factor in to a 40 year old car since at this point everything in the car has probably been replace once or twice, and hey the engine is your standard chevy small block - tons of aftermarket parts. These cars are not considered collectors so you can buy it and modify it to your hearts content and not have to worry about the purist "numbers matching/all original" BS.
With early 70s vettes yeah you start talking big bucks.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:30 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,228,721 times
My son has a new Vette. It's awesome! I grew up loving cars and passed that along to him. I've had some quick cars and some nice cars in my years, but the new Vette puts them all to shame. It seems a bargain to me, although I wouldn't want one at this point (70 yrs old).

Old 07-16-2016, 07:53 PM

8,548 posts, read 10,969,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
My son has a new Vette. It's awesome! I grew up loving cars and passed that along to him. I've had some quick cars and some nice cars in my years, but the new Vette puts them all to shame. It seems a bargain to me, although I wouldn't want one at this point (70 yrs old).
True, theC7 is powerful, but compared to the C5, it is just plain ugly.
I wouldn't have a C7 if it were given to me.
That is the most ugly Vette ever produced.

Bob.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:04 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
Jeez Louise, 18 pages of arguments.

Somebody just do a poll: Do you like Corvettes? Yes or No

YES
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive