Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2019, 08:47 AM

1,062 posts, read 988,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Sedan sales are trending downward, so why waste resources on a broad spectrum of vehicles, many of which are uncompetitive and in decline? Focus on what consumers want (pickups and SUVs/CUVs) and put all your money into developing what sells. And let the competition fight over an ever shrinking market.
Because abandoning a whole market segment and assuming those buyers will choose your other vehicles instead is wrong and has been proven wrong time and time again

Toyota abandoned sports cars. Did those buyers say "Oh well I guess I'll just buy a Camry"? Nope. Ford abandoned offroad vehicles for a long time. Did people say "I'll just stop offroading"? Nope, they bought Jeeps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 09:10 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,631,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Because abandoning a whole market segment and assuming those buyers will choose your other vehicles instead is wrong and has been proven wrong time and time again

Toyota abandoned sports cars. Did those buyers say "Oh well I guess I'll just buy a Camry"? Nope. Ford abandoned offroad vehicles for a long time. Did people say "I'll just stop offroading"? Nope, they bought Jeeps
American manufacturers are abandoning cars that don't sell well in favor of vehicles that do sell well.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:47 AM

1,062 posts, read 988,649 times
Quote:
American manufacturers are abandoning cars that don't sell well in favor of vehicles that do sell well.
Their total sales will decline and their profits will decline

Old 05-07-2019, 10:46 AM

599 posts, read 503,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
This is a free country drive what you want, there are BMW fans and their are Jeep fans, but i bet you would not take the BMW of yours four wheeling would you.
My son ends up at Denver airport with a reservation for a rental SUV. He is given an X5. A couple days later he is on a gravel forest road (designated as "high clearance 2WD recommended), miles from the blacktop. A bit of very, very light four wheeling was too much for the BMW and it went into limp mode. He then spent a couple of hours travelling at a walking pace to the blacktop, then down the shoulder to a town. A few hours later the rental company delivers a GC, and took the X5 back to it's natural habitat (the dealer ) on a rollback.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:27 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,472,231 times
Quote:
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...es/3620024002/

Old 05-07-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
My son ends up at Denver airport with a reservation for a rental SUV. He is given an X5. A couple days later he is on a gravel forest road (designated as "high clearance 2WD recommended), miles from the blacktop. A bit of very, very light four wheeling was too much for the BMW and it went into limp mode. He then spent a couple of hours travelling at a walking pace to the blacktop, then down the shoulder to a town. A few hours later the rental company delivers a GC, and took the X5 back to it's natural habitat (the dealer ) on a rollback.

:

Old 05-07-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:

I guess you don’t look at sales numbers of sedans do you, like others like you, you just don’t want to believe that sedans are not selling.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:47 AM

5,345 posts, read 14,178,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Didnt state anyone was being forced. What Im stating is, the big 3 cant seem to make a competitive sedan to challenge the Foreign's, so as a buyer, if they cant engineer a competitive sedan, why would I even trust them to make a reliable CUV/SUV, if they cant get the Sedan part right.

I know the foreign makers are without their issues too, like Nissan CVT failures, Hyundai/Kia engines failures and fires on the 2.4 and 2.0T, Honda 9spd auto problems, but as someone that has always bought American cars, I think ill actually admit, that the Honda, Toyota, and even Nissan seem to put more effort into their products. All American car makers care about are these overpriced Trucks and SUV's.
The american manufacturers need to make vehicles that they can PROFIT on. They could build and sell a bunch of Tauruses, but could they PROFIT more by building and selling SUVs and trucks? That is the question and it had obviously been answered.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:51 AM

599 posts, read 503,795 times
Quote:

Given that the big three are selling the living snot out of SUVs and trucks, and have made record profits doing so, your argument for continually losing money on unprofitable and undesirable product is a bit weak, to be charitable.

No they don't say, "I'll guess I'll just buy a Camry". The customer went to a builder that better fill a very, very niche market, one that most builders have little interest in, and others do extremely well. No different than any other product. Just because you are making a half billion sneakers a year, doesn't mean you need to offer custom, hand made cowboy boots in your product line, since it is also a shoe. Toyota viewed the sports car market as unprofitable at that specific time, and in that specific segment of their worldwide portfolio. Much like they don't offer Tundras in Japan or Europe, nor Kei cars here.

Your Ford comment is curious, also. Having been interested in all things vehicle related since I was old enough for a sand box and a Tonka truck, I can think of the entire uninterrupted lineage of off-road capable SUVs and trucks that Ford produced since the first gen. Bronco in the 1960s. The fact that Jeep continued to make a crude, outdated CJ series for decades after Ford abandoned their similar 1st. gen Bronco, certainly didn't mean much, other than the fact that Jeep hung onto a niche market, and Ford later hit it out of the park with the first gen. Explorer. BTW, I've owned multiple CJs, and an early Explorer, so I don't play favorites, or pretend I know better than car execs. who are currently shoveling in tens of billions in profits based on selling extremely profitable, and desirable products.

Old 05-07-2019, 01:27 PM

4,788 posts, read 3,088,082 times
Quote:
Quote:
But remember, manufacturers have a limited amount of factory capacity...
they can only build a certain number of vehicles in a year.

Why would they keep building slow-selling low-profit-margin sedans if a plant could be converted
to building more profitable SUVs and trucks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive