Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 03:50 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,666,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
I think you're both right and wrong. (By the way, cvetters is a Volt boi...)

The BMW V8 has issues as described. Sure they will be reliable IF the known issues are addressed, but most of the time they are not. As for the V12, well yes its reliable, but if something breaks, you will pay up the ass to get it fixed. Two of everything. If one is a mechanic, both might be cheap to maintain but for the average joe, I don't believe that to be a true statement. Many BMW people I know would consider buying a V12 if not for the high maintenance costs.

The Lexus is not a BMW and is not pretending to be one. Very reliable and comfortable for the long haul. No it doesn't handle like a BMW (perhaps mods can make it so). No doubt a more reliable car. Nothing wrong with that.

I have a couple old '80s BMWs and had to put $7k into one of them to make it reliable (well about $2.5k for an AC upgrade). That's just the way it is, but now it's baselined and I know the problem areas. My wife has an RX330 and it is VERY reliable. I may seriously consider an LS430 at some point, I do think they are the best looking ones.
Agree. LS430 is not remotely sporty, but the chassis is plenty capable believe it or not. But no, it’s not sporty at all. Just a luxo cruiser. I want the isolation chamber effect and a soothing vehicle.

LS and 7, they were in the same category at one point. Flagship luxury cars.

Old 06-22-2020, 05:26 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Yet another example of why "Science" has lost credibility.

Lets take a subjective concept that cannot be measured and twist around some very limited data to try to support our personal proclivities and beliefs. Then we will call it science.

I am not saying the conclusion is wrong. I agree with it in many cases. It is clearly wrong in many cases, possibly a majority. However to call it science is BS and simply discredits so called "scientific" conclusion in other areas. For "science" to even try to support a gross generalization like that is a fallacy to begin with. if so called "scientists" cannot discern this, then the world of science is in big trouble.
Besides that, I bet that the scientist in the story participates in air-travel
Aircraft not only pollute the air, but unburned fuel has to be purged inflight every now and then (during emergencies).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_dumping

Old 06-22-2020, 08:05 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
In a sense I would say it’s true. I submit, as evidence, the Mercedes Benz G Wagen. There is no possible way one can own or drive that truck and not be a douchebag. You might be in the Russian Mafia, a Baller, Rapper or an instagram airhead like Paris Hilton or a Kardashian but any way you look at it you are a douchebag by the very act of choosing that über expensive truck to flout your wealth and most likely drive it like an A-Hole.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:42 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,666,851 times
Wow lots of jealousy on here.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:49 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
We have had 21 BMWs over the past couple of decades, still have 7 of them, and I think the most we paid for a single one was $5k. So does that make us jerks (because they were expensive when new) or not (because we paid little for them)?

Yes, my husband is a BMW mechanic and he does all the repairs on our cars.

Yes, taking an old, out-of-warranty car to the dealer for repair is idiotic if you are the slightest bit concerned about the cost; you should take your old car to an independent shop.

No, BMWs are not junk and do not become junk at 100k miles. That is completely false. Most of our cars are well over the number and still going strong.

Moreover, 90% of the cars my husband works on have over 100k miles. Once in a while he replaces a transmission or rebuilds an engine. Mostly it's oil changes, brakes, batteries, and minor repairs like window regulators and a/c issues.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:22 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
If you go idiotically into debt to drive an expensive car, yes ill agree you're a jerk. If you threw down cash for it without ruining yourself, fine...you can walk that walk.

Old 06-23-2020, 04:20 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Wow lots of jealousy on here.
I’m not jealous. I enjoy driving my Dodge.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:17 AM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
In a sense I would say it’s true. I submit, as evidence, the Mercedes Benz G Wagen. There is no possible way one can own or drive that truck and not be a douchebag. You might be in the Russian Mafia, a Baller, Rapper or an instagram airhead like Paris Hilton or a Kardashian but any way you look at it you are a douchebag by the very act of choosing that über expensive truck to flout your wealth and most likely drive it like an A-Hole.
I guess I must be a douchebag then, but I am a happy douchebag.

But who is the bigger douchebag, someone that spends 10% of his yearly income on an expensive car, or someone who spends 50% of his yearly income on a cheaper car?

On another note, this thread reminds me of the perfect quote from The Great Gatsby, that sums up the sense of entitlement of the wealthy. Nick is teaching Daisy how to drive (or maybe Gatsby was teaching her, it's been a long time since I read it).

After almost hitting another car, he told her to be more careful.

Her response was "If everyone else is careful, why do I have to be?"

***Spoiler: Later in the book, she is driving Gatsby's car and runs over a woman, and keeps on driving. The woman's husband thinks Gatsby was the one driving, so he shoots him dead. Then Daisy goes on with her life like nothing ever happened.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:36 AM

13,643 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
We have had 21 BMWs over the past couple of decades, still have 7 of them, and I think the most we paid for a single one was $5k. So does that make us jerks (because they were expensive when new) or not (because we paid little for them)? ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Haha I'm not a jerk because I want to, and do, drive a fine automobile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I wonder how expensive a car has to be before it turns the driver into a jerk. Anyone have a price point?
A statement might be true, but its converse need not be. I'm a loutish and insufferable jerk, but drive cheap/older/neglected cars.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-23-2020 at 02:15 PM..

Old 06-23-2020, 07:42 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I've met jerks driving the crappiest cars in the world, and the nicest people ever driving some high-end luxury cars.

The whole cross-the-road test should be conducted in various towns rather than focus on the vehicles being driven. I've crossed the road with kids in tow in some "nicer" towns where the driver's came to a stop and all but got out to practically help me across, and then I've crossed the road in some not-so-nice towns and literally stood in the crosswalk for 5 mins waiting for someone to actually stop. Jerks are everywhere in all shapes and sizes and cars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive