Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 06:26 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
it was in the link to the actual study I posted.
i wonder what makes you say that instead of just saying that it is taxpayer funded?

Old 02-28-2020, 09:07 PM

838 posts, read 566,062 times
I'm convinced this is only true with Mustang & Challenger owners, I've never met one that hasn't been an a-shole driver.

Old 02-29-2020, 07:20 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I like the title of this thread, but my hunch is that it should be modified to say "more likely a jerk than someone who doesn't".
The title was taken from the article. It did say "probably" which may be similar to your suggestion.

Old 02-29-2020, 07:45 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
This reminds me of a study that was done to find out why people reverse out of parking spaces slowly. Their study said it’s because the people are possessive of the space and are reluctant to give it up. Total BS! People reverse out of parking spaces because of reduced visibility and the fear of either hitting or getting hit by another vehicle or pedestrian.

I say the topic’s study is BS because I’ve seen plenty of jerks in all different types of vehicles but we more easily remember those rare and expensive vehicles.

Old 02-29-2020, 11:05 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
i have a pretty long commute so i see a lot of drivers. i cant say that i have developed a feeling that people with expensive cars are a-holes. the group that i would say are the most consistently driving like a-holes are pick up truck drivers.

every so often, i have to drive to manhattan in rush hour traffic. that is a high traffic drive with lots of lane changing in busy traffic, so its an intense drive. that group can be viewed as a lot of a-holes because of how aggressive they drive and how they wont let anyone in front of them. you have to fight tooth and nail to change a lane sometimes in that drive. but i feel sorry for those people and i understand their situation.

Old 02-29-2020, 11:26 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,573,964 times
How ridiculous. These 'scientists' are dealing with a whole lot of jealousy.

BTW I drive an old Kia...

Old 02-29-2020, 11:40 AM

9,519 posts, read 4,348,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindraker View Post
It doesn't necessarily mean you're a jerk, it just means you have a poor sense of investing.

Do you really think people buy expensive cars as investments? If so, you should immediately turn all of your financial holdings over to a professional.

On the other hand, you might be one of those folks who likes to judge how other people spend their money. In that case, I assume you rent a room in a house with 15 other people, eat Ramen noddles, and buy all of you clothes from Goodwill. Also, no vacations, cable, movies, sporting events, etc., because any of the above could be considered frivolous - like an expensive car.

If you like driving an inexpensive penalty-box, more power to you. It may shock you to learn that some people can afford expensive cars and still have plenty of money in savings and investments. It's not always one or the other.

Old 02-29-2020, 05:56 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,260,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkness View Post
I'm convinced this is only true with Mustang & Challenger owners, I've never met one that hasn't been an a-shole driver.
I assure you, it is not.

A generality, not true in all cases....
People in single make/model clubs tend to be better at being jerks than people that like everything.
Many of them think that their cars are they greatest thing on four wheels and everything else is crap.

Many people outside of their clique think their cars are very nice indeed. It's the owners that are crap.

Old 02-29-2020, 06:25 PM

5,675 posts, read 5,890,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkness View Post
When I drive my Mustang, I find its the other drivers who all of a sudden seem to think they are faster than me and want to race. Ahole drivers, nah, not all of are. We are just trying to get away from transplants who cant drive!

Old 02-29-2020, 06:48 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
It's a basic premise that often holds true. People who desire to bring attention to themselves by nothing more than something ANYONE can buy....may have selfish or otherwise misguided tendencies socially. May. Probably. These are important words.

Even the very wealthy people I knew who drove very upscale cars have largely stopped doing so. Showing off is not in fashion in many places. The former Mercedes or BMW driver will often be in a Lexus these days....specifically because they enjoy the vehicle but do not want to draw excess attention to themselves or their vehicle.

This is not rocket science. A Vehicle is certainly, in many (perhaps most) cases the extension of the owners personality. If I pick a VW Sportwagen I am saying one thing. If I pick the same exact car in the Audi brand (A3 wagon?), I am expressing that I have money to burn and want to drive a "badge" that impresses either myself or others (likely both).

Being as most owners lease or finance, the idea that "the owners have vast amount of money and it doesn't matter if they over-spend on a vehicle" is largely bunk. In fact, most people who have a lot of cash are very unlikely to buy expensive cars.

Saying that $$$ car owner aren't generally more "a-holish" would be like saying Prius and Tesla owners aren't putting out that they are environmentally conscious.

I say both are true.

Now, the people in some cases (the expensive cars) may not even know that they are doing it. The Tesla and Prius owners are more likely to know......

I'll go one step further. People who drive around with their cell phone to their ears at all time are likely larger A-H than the population which cares more about safety and others.

Does anyone dispute that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive