Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 12:57 PM

11,502 posts, read 6,021,967 times

Advertisements

Being a jerk is a small price to pay to drive an expensive car. I will take that any day over being a nice guy in a crappy car. If driving an expensive car makes me a jerk, I'm fine with that.

But I get the point. A lot of narcisstic egotistical people are jerks. A lot of narcissistic egotistical people care about their image and having an impeccable appearance, out of vanity or to manipulate others. A lot of narcissitic egotistical people drive expensive cars as one means of grooming that image.

So the conclusion goes, these jerks drive expensive cars to show off and have a high image.

So, if jerks drive expensive cars, than people who drive expensive cars MUST be jerks.

No, I get it. Every stereotype has a core of truth. Every one.

Old 06-22-2020, 01:05 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,673,051 times
Haha I'm not a jerk because I want to, and do, drive a fine automobile.

Old 06-22-2020, 01:14 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,327,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Yes, I agree. It's from experience when I say BMWs carry a lot of a**hole drivers. Worse than Mustang drivers. I've been cut off, tailgated, etc.

It's cool though, and fun to shame those owners when they break.

I ran into Autozone last summer to get air aircap for a tire, this 1 year old, really nice BMW 550i was parked there with the owner fuming, he had no idea what was wrong. (It was after dealer hours.) The Autozone guy didn't know WTF was going on with the car either, he was worthless out there.

I hopped in my old (unbreakable) Lexus LS and made eye contact with Bimmer Bro and made a slight look, it was priceless. I went in there for an air cap, he comes there for a broken practically new BMW.

BMW people will sacrifice their kids to try and convince people their cars are not literally the rolling junk piles that they are.

A friend of mine has a 2000 328i, I swear to god he's dumped over 10k into that thing....at least. He just won't get rid of it. "It's a Bimmer" he always says. He wants it to become a classic.

I've had a couple E38 7 series (a '98 and an '01, and both were bought with 150k miles on them. Each one was kept for for 5 years and 50k miles) and neither were money pits. A couple 3 series (320i, a pair of 325i, and a 330ci) and none of them were money pits, either.

Last two:

And one of my previous ones:

Next one I'm leaning toward is a V12 E38 7 series.

But keep on spouting your insulting crap while making all sorts of assumptions, driving a boring car that doesn't have the handling or capability of mine.

Old 06-22-2020, 01:19 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Haha I'm not a jerk because I want to, and do, drive a fine automobile.
so then why are you a jerk?

Old 06-22-2020, 01:51 PM

Mod cut: Quoted posts deleted.

I've owned over 130 cars, and am the founder of Midatlantic 7s (since 2009) and know a LOT about E38 7 series in particular and cars in general. (MUCH more than you, I'd be willing to bet, especially after reading some of your arguments). The V12 cars are actually more reliable than the V8 cars, due to not having VANOS, not having valley pan gaskets, not having timing chain guide issues, etc. At this point they are a known vehicle that's easy to deal with and cheap to own and maintain.

That being said, both my 740s (the V8 ones) were VERY reliable daily drivers. The '98 was bought in '08 from a wholesaler who had no records of it. I did a cooling system freshening to make sure of things (and made the mistake of using a cheaper off brand water pump which failed in 200 miles. OEM only after that point. Oh that's right, you also argue against OEM parts because you really don't know any better). And I got over 50k daily driver miles on it after that. The '01 never needed anything but oil changes and regular maintenance in the 5 years I daily drove it.

The LS is only good for that engine, and it's a weaker performing engine than the 4.4 liter in the E38, and really only good for swaps into custom cars (I was going to put one of the LS400 1UZ-FEs into my '63 Mercury Comet. It's a physically tiny engine, smaller than the 260cid v8 that was stock in the Comet, but it's a pain adapting it to a manual transmission and the Lexus automatic is garbage). And I DO buy my cars to perform. The 740i Sport can't just be a comfy cruiser that eats up miles (even though it does). It has to also make me smile in the twisties and on tours with the M cars on the backroads. And I think it looks vastly better than any Lexus ever made (even my favorite Lexus, the LC500). And the potential is incredible. This is my buddy's car, with a supercharged S62 M5 V8 and 6 speed manual. 500+ hp in a sleeper package:

BTW, even though you call me a BMW fanboi, I've owned cars from most major manufacturers worldwide (though the largest bloc of them were air cooled VWs, I've had over 30 of them...), my current cars are all Chevies (the 8.1 liter Suburban 2500 tow vehicle, and a Volt and a Bolt). I've had a ton of Fords, A few Hondas and classic Toyotas and a lot of British and European sports cars.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-23-2020 at 02:10 PM..

Old 06-22-2020, 01:56 PM

8,564 posts, read 10,987,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Of all the expensive, exotic and sports car owning folks I know, only about 10% could be classified as "jerks." Most are really nice people.
I'm one of them, and I consider myself a really nice person.

Old 06-22-2020, 02:09 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
I wonder how expensive a car has to be before it turns the driver into a jerk. Anyone have a price point?

I don't think I'm a jerk and one of my vehicles cost very close to $80,000. Ditto for my son, An expensive fully loaded 4wd diesel pickup with crew cab and all the towing accessories.

So, jerks drive cars that cost more than that? What is the jerk price range?

Old 06-22-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I wonder how expensive a car has to be before it turns the driver into a jerk. Anyone have a price point?

I don't think I'm a jerk and one of my vehicles cost very close to $80,000. Ditto for my son, An expensive fully loaded 4wd diesel pickup with crew cab and all the towing accessories.

So, jerks drive cars that cost more than that? What is the jerk price range?

According to the study in the OP and what this thread is about, the "expensive" cars in the study averaged $8000. Yes, eight thousand dollars. And the inexpensive cars in the study averaged a bit over $5000. Yes, five thousand. So apparently, you become a jerk in anything over eight grand.

Which is why I say the study is stupid and flawed and worthless.

Old 06-22-2020, 02:43 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,673,051 times
https://clark.com/cars/most-and-leas...intain-repair/

There's a better link.

Old 06-22-2020, 03:42 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,757,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
[Snip.]

I've owned over 130 cars, and am the founder of Midatlantic 7s (since 2009) and know a LOT about E38 7 series in particular and cars in general. (MUCH more than you, I'd be willing to bet, especially after reading some of your arguments). The V12 cars are actually more reliable than the V8 cars, due to not having VANOS, not having valley pan gaskets, not having timing chain guide issues, etc. At this point they are a known vehicle that's easy to deal with and cheap to own and maintain.

That being said, both my 740s (the V8 ones) were VERY reliable daily drivers. The '98 was bought in '08 from a wholesaler who had no records of it. I did a cooling system freshening to make sure of things (and made the mistake of using a cheaper off brand water pump which failed in 200 miles. OEM only after that point. Oh that's right, you also argue against OEM parts because you really don't know any better). And I got over 50k daily driver miles on it after that. The '01 never needed anything but oil changes and regular maintenance in the 5 years I daily drove it.

The LS is only good for that engine, and it's a weaker performing engine than the 4.4 liter in the E38, and really only good for swaps into custom cars (I was going to put one of the LS400 1UZ-FEs into my '63 Mercury Comet. It's a physically tiny engine, smaller than the 260cid v8 that was stock in the Comet, but it's a pain adapting it to a manual transmission and the Lexus automatic is garbage). And I DO buy my cars to perform. The 740i Sport can't just be a comfy cruiser that eats up miles (even though it does). It has to also make me smile in the twisties and on tours with the M cars on the backroads. And I think it looks vastly better than any Lexus ever made (even my favorite Lexus, the LC500). And the potential is incredible. This is my buddy's car, with a supercharged S62 M5 V8 and 6 speed manual. 500+ hp in a sleeper package:

BTW, even though you call me a BMW fanboi, I've owned cars from most major manufacturers worldwide (though the largest bloc of them were air cooled VWs, I've had over 30 of them...), my current cars are all Chevies (the 8.1 liter Suburban 2500 tow vehicle, and a Volt and a Bolt). I've had a ton of Fords, A few Hondas and classic Toyotas and a lot of British and European sports cars.
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

I think you're both right and wrong. (By the way, cvetters is a Volt boi...)

The BMW V8 has issues as described. Sure they will be reliable IF the known issues are addressed in a timely manner, but most of the time they are not. As for the V12, well yes its more reliable, but if something breaks, you will pay up the ass to get it fixed. Two of everything. If one is a mechanic, both might be cheap to maintain but for the average joe, I don't believe that to be a true statement. Many BMW people I know would consider buying a V12 if not for the high maintenance costs.

The Lexus is not a BMW and is not pretending to be one. Very reliable and comfortable for the long haul. No it doesn't handle like a BMW (perhaps mods can make it so). No doubt a more reliable car. Nothing wrong with that.

I have a couple old '80s BMWs and had to put $7k into one of them to make it reliable (well about $2.5k for an AC upgrade). That's just the way it is, but now it's baselined and I know the problem areas. My wife has an RX330 and it is VERY reliable. I may seriously consider an LS430 at some point, I do think they are the best looking ones.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-23-2020 at 02:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive