Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 09:13 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,148 times

Advertisements

There is such an overlap on what is expensive these days. In Houston, the deluxe pickup drivers have easily surpassed BMW drivers as the most obnoxious/aggressive.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:07 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindraker View Post
It doesn't necessarily mean you're a jerk, it just means you have a poor sense of investing.
One of the reasons people work, invest, etc, is to obtain luxury goods. I mean what is the point of accumulating money? I certainly did not bust my rear off for years just so I could live the same lifestyle I had as a day laborer in construction which was my first job.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:16 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
I wouldn’t say that it’s true for everyone who drives an expensive car BMW drivers are probably the worst in my opinion. Now those people who driver an overpriced SUV they get my vote for being arses.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:58 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Yet another example of why "Science" has lost credibility.

Lets take a subjective concept that cannot be measured and twist around some very limited data to try to support our personal proclivities and beliefs. Then we will call it science.

I am not saying the conclusion is wrong. I agree with it in many cases. It is clearly wrong in many cases, possibly a majority. However to call it science is BS and simply discredits so called "scientific" conclusion in other areas. For "science" to even try to support a gross generalization like that is a fallacy to begin with. if so called "scientists" cannot discern this, then the world of science is in big trouble.
Perhaps you don't know the difference between Science and Social Science...or "research" as it is named in this study?

I can 100% attest to the fact that big pickups with large engines lifted off the ground are aggressive drivers. I see it every day (in Florida, so I will limit these stats to those 20 Million plus people).

I rarely get cut off by people in Camrys and Corollas or Accords.

There is a reason why insurance rates are often vastly higher on some fast cars. It's not the cars - it's the drivers! In that case, it is "science" or, more accurately, math.

People who are self-important and self-centered and show-offs are more likely to be arses then those who downplay themselves and their wealth.

What's wrong with noting that certain lifestyles may define personality types or tendencies? Are people who lived in highly secured gated communities any different from those who do not?

Old 02-27-2020, 11:01 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,739,513 times
This is anecdotal. The speed limit on the main road to Chico from Paradise is called the Skyway, with a 55 mile speed limit. All downhill. I drive at 60 like 95% of the residents. Sometimes we get passed by a Mustang GT, a late model Porsche or classic Corvette going 65-70.

Then once in a while someone is passing us at 80-85. 99% of the time the car is a 20-year old Civic or Corolla with dented fenders and the rear bumper secured by rope or duct tape. After reading this survey I feel better knowing that at least the drivers aren't "jerks".

Old 02-27-2020, 11:10 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,323,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Perhaps you don't know the difference between Science and Social Science...or "research" as it is named in this study?

I can 100% attest to the fact that big pickups with large engines lifted off the ground are aggressive drivers. I see it every day (in Florida, so I will limit these stats to those 20 Million plus people).

There is a reason why insurance rates are often vastly higher on some fast cars. It's not the cars - it's the drivers! In that case, it is "science" or, more accurately, math.

People who are self-important and self-centered and show-offs are more likely to be arses then those who downplay themselves and their wealth.

What's wrong with noting that certain lifestyles may define personality types or tendencies? Are people who lived in highly secured gated communities any different from those who do not?

No, this is confirmation bias at best.

And the study is asking watching people who stop for pedestrians in crosswalks, and jumps to a personality profile THEORY based on ONE data point and conjecture. That's not "research" or "science." There are a variety of ways that incorrect conclusions can be ready by poorly controlling studies, insufficient sample size, or other factors. Additionally: Only unique research gets published. Boring studies like "Lots of people ignore right of way in crosswalks regardless of income" don't get published.

it's wealth bashing pure and simple.

Old 02-27-2020, 11:16 AM

5,455 posts, read 6,047,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

So why wouldn't the rates go up on the driver, not the car?

Old 02-27-2020, 12:28 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,352 times
This week we took our cars to a local car show, and there was a half million dollar Ford GT 40 there. I said to the guy " Nice car", and he didn't give me the time of day. So, yes, some exotic car owners are really pr***s.

I was sorry I even tried to talk to him.

Old 02-27-2020, 12:47 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
This week we took our cars to a local car show, and there was a half million dollar Ford GT 40 there. I said to the guy " Nice car", and he didn't give me the time of day. So, yes, some exotic car owners are really pr***s.

I was sorry I even tried to talk to him.
Some people no matter what are pr***s.

Likewise, dude with a I guess new Mclaren spyder or whatever called, saw in a Publix parking lot, my wife liked the orange color and we were looking at it and owner approached from behind, guy was cool as hell, let us sit in it, offered me to but I declined, but my wife got to sit in it and got some nice pics.

But maybe just nice because of my wife, if I was alone, maybe would not have given me the time of day, lol.

I been to a few car shows, I find most people love talking about their car, I mean that is why they are there I hope!

Old 02-27-2020, 01:05 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
MY younger brother whom every one calls a nice guy, bought a well used BMW. But after a few years of paying for repair costs and having it out of service a few times decided to trade it in on a used Toyota
It is a risk that you take. My aforementioned 2011 X5 diesel now has around 116K miles (had 99K when I bought it 18 months ago from a relative) and I’ve put around $4K into it. Tires, X5M wheels for $200 on CL, rear brakes, exhaust gasket, vacuum hoses, all new fluids, diesel tune, aftermarket CarPlay screen (looks OEM). But I paid $13K cash for it and it gets 22 mpg around town. Drives like new.

The big thing - I found a mechanic I can trust. And the little things I do myself. I absolutely 100% avoid the dealer. I can’t emphasize the importance of this last sentence.

Had I not known the previous driver and the car’s maintenance schedule I would have passed, but so far it’s been awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive