Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 04:39 PM

9,519 posts, read 4,348,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I saw this article and thought it would go over well here. It does seem like the science agrees with my observations. How about you?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/26/world...ntl/index.html

The article didn't mention whether the study was conducted at a crosswalk (or other legal place to cross) or a place where it is illegal to cross. Regardless of whether I'm driving my $90K BMW or my lowly F150, I stop for pedestrians who are crossing legally. Stopping for pedestrians who are crossing illegally is dangerous. That doesn't make me a jerk, it makes me a good driver.

P.S - I'm not advocating running J-walkers over, but I'm not giving them the huge latitude I give legal crossers either.

Old 02-26-2020, 05:06 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,861,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Utterly amazing that anybody would waste time or money on researching that. There are far more pressing issues to humanity, that the money could be spent on......
If you think this is a waste of funds, find out what the Endowment for the Arts spend their money on ...

Old 02-26-2020, 10:08 PM

13,658 posts, read 9,724,335 times
The assertion in some quarters is that enthusiasts in any given avocation, will have condescension towards non-enthusiasts, and in particular to opponents. So for example, golfers would view bird-watchers or nature-buffs as opponents, as the golfers prefer open-ground with manicured grass, while the bird-watchers and nature-buffs like mature trees and unmolested old-growth forest.

In a similar way, automotive enthusiasts would view pedestrians as their natural opponents, both in philosophy (urban planning, taxation,…) and in flow of traffic. Drivers for whom cars are humdrum appliances, would not feel such animosity towards pedestrians, since for them, driving and walking differ only in terms of logistics. But persons who are passionate about cars and driving would take non-drivers as annoying interlopers and obstacles, and so, would be miffed if having to give way, or to wait for some bipedal laggard to finally get across the street.

So the critique wouldn’t necessarily be against persons who spent lots of money on their car. These persons might simply like luxury or prestige. Rather, the critique is against enthusiasts, who may be driving costly cars or very cheap ones, and anything in between.

It’s just another way to bash automotive enthusiasts.

There’s another interesting trope, too… the one that posits that wealthy people are unmoored from normal life, and lack empathy for their fellow man. Assuming that drivers of exclusive cars are wealthy, and pedestrians are not (not necessarily true, but let’s assume), we would infer that these drivers would particularly have low regard for pedestrians. Poorer drivers, having more empathy – as poorer people in general are supposed to have – would be less antagonistic towards pedestrians.

It’s just another way to bash affluent people.

Old 02-26-2020, 11:18 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,757,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
So what if like me you drive a used, fully-depreciated BMW?
Some of the most wonderful people!

Even better if it's one had fully depreciated and is now appreciating!

Old 02-27-2020, 03:27 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,417,653 times
MY younger brother whom every one calls a nice guy, bought a well used BMW. But after a few years of paying for repair costs and having it out of service a few times decided to trade it in on a used Toyota

Old 02-27-2020, 03:41 AM

8,506 posts, read 4,750,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
I'm a car guy and I will say that the BMW stereotype (jack-a** drivers) is mostly true.

Sorry not sorry, it is what it is.
Depends. Where I grew up, BMW was the iron of choice for jackwagon drivers. In Texas, unless you’re in a large city, it’s mostly out-to-lunch housewives.

Old 02-27-2020, 05:21 AM

6,462 posts, read 3,157,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Of all the expensive, exotic and sports car owning folks I know, only about 10% could be classified as "jerks." Most are really nice people.
Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
I guess it's fortunate that I live in a neighborhood with few pedestrians.

Good one!!

Old 02-27-2020, 06:53 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,067,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I saw this article and thought it would go over well here. It does seem like the science agrees with my observations. How about you?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/26/world...ntl/index.html
Social scientists really aren't scientists, their field lacks rigeur.
But they like to play computer games and call it modeling, put out silly "studies" and beg for more funding because "it requires more study to fully develop their theory". Follow the money.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:42 AM

355 posts, read 226,236 times
It doesn't necessarily mean you're a jerk, it just means you have a poor sense of investing.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:47 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,327,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindraker View Post
It doesn't necessarily mean you're a jerk, it just means you have a poor sense of investing.
many people with truly expensive cars have quite successful investment portfolios. How do you guys constantly get off saying that they are dumb with money? Maybe they are investing in their happiness. Ever think of that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive