Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2015, 05:25 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times

Advertisements

up next to be read are Saint Mazie by jami attenberg and the miniaturist by Jessie burton . I hope I like these because they were recommended by a fellow reader and pen pal who loves to read almost as much as I do if that is even possible LOL .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 05:26 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I tried starting it last night but I was too sleepy to get into it. I will read more today

Great book.

I haven't read them all but I liked Room and The Dry Grass of August.

I liked both of those also.

I made it halfway through Life After Life and it was going along fine. Now I am up to the point of adulthood and it is not keeping my interest. I'll keep at it and see where it goes.

I went to the library yesterday and picked up some of my holds Ooh…I have a pile now. My June reads:
The Boys in The Boat
Wild
Every Fifteen Minutes
Marianna
We Are Not Ourselves
Alone
Walk Two Moons recommended by my librarian:
"In her own singularly beautiful style, Newbery Medal winner Sharon Creech intricately weaves together two tales, one funny, one bittersweet, to create a heartwarming, compelling, and utterly moving story of love, loss, and the complexity of human emotion.

Thirteen-year-old Salamanca Tree Hiddle, proud of her country roots and the "Indian-ness in her blood," travels from Ohio to Idaho with her eccentric grandparents. Along the way, she tells them of the story of Phoebe Winterbottom, who received mysterious messages, who met a "potential lunatic," and whose mother disappeared.

As Sal entertains her grandparents with Phoebe's outrageous story, her own story begins to unfold--the story of a thirteen-year-old girl whose only wish is to be reunited with her missing mother."

The First Wife
"As a child, Bailey Browne dreamed of a knight in shining armor swooping in to rescue her and her mother. As she grows older, those dreams transform, becoming ones of a mysterious stranger who will sweep her off her feet and whisk her away from her ordinary existence. Then, suddenly, there he is. Despite the ten year difference in their ages, her working class upbringing and his of privilege, Logan Abbott and Bailey fall deeply in love. Marriage quickly follows.

But when Logan brings her home to his horse farm in Louisiana, a magnificent estate on ninety wooded acres, her dreams of happily-ever-after begin to unravel. A tragic family history she knew nothing about surfaces, plus whisperings about the disappearance of his first wife, True, and rumors about the women from the area who have gone missing--and when another woman disappears, all signs point to her husband's involvement.

At first Bailey ignores the whispers, even circumstantial evidence against Logan mounts. But finally, Bailey must make a choice: believe what everyone says--or bet her life on the man she loves, but is realizing she hardly knows. "

Ooh…good news. I worked at the library yesterday for the Scholastic Book Fair and met with my partner for one day of the Summer Reading program. Our theme is Animal Heroes and my partner found a woman who has two Golden Retrievers who are trained helping dogs. She is going to bring them in to meet the kids and talk about what they do

Oh I had a pen pal tell me that the boys in the boat is an excellent read let us know what you think lisa .

Old 06-06-2015, 06:28 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
I remember reading and liking Cee Cee Honeycutt. cant remember too much else about it but it was like The Help.

I am currently reading Lost on Planet China by Marten Troost (who also wrote sex lives of cannibals,which I never read but have heard of). It's a good read, pretty humorous, pretty enlightening. It's for a book club.

I am only about 1/3 into it- and enjoying it. It's a little bit smirky somewhat but also I would say in the way of Bill Bryson..so all in all a good read that I probably would not have stumbled upon.

Old 06-06-2015, 06:31 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,281,333 times
I'm not reading any books and haven't for many decades. But I am going to change that.

I downloaded some free books from Amazon Kindle, and will start reading one. I honestly don't know anything about the Author, but right now I just want to get back into reading again.

I like science fiction, horror, suspense. Hopefully I can find a groove, at least by starting to read 15-30 minutes before bedtime.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:07 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I'm not reading any books and haven't for many decades. But I am going to change that.

I downloaded some free books from Amazon Kindle, and will start reading one. I honestly don't know anything about the Author, but right now I just want to get back into reading again.

I like science fiction, horror, suspense. Hopefully I can find a groove, at least by starting to read 15-30 minutes before bedtime.

Wow, is there life without reading? Just teasing,hope you enjoy many adventures through reading again.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:08 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7

Ooh…good news. I worked at the library yesterday for the Scholastic Book Fair and met with my partner for one day of the Summer Reading program. Our theme is Animal Heroes and my partner found a woman who has two Golden Retrievers who are trained helping dogs. She is going to bring them in to meet the kids and talk about what they do
That sounds so interesting,and I'm sure the kids will love it!

Old 06-06-2015, 01:52 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,029 times
Currently reading Eating Smoke by Chris Thrall.

Only got through the first couple of pages as of yet and I kinda like it. Nice read, if you are into Hong Kong.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:18 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I finished The Centre of Everything and loved it, beginning to end, and then, at the hair salon on Thursday, for a much overdue cut and colour, I read the sample first of The Girl With All the Gifts and promptly bought it. I loved the first third of the book, was ummm? about the second third, and then I absolutely hated the ending which felt like the writer didn't know how to end it and quickly summed it up with a stereotypical horror-book genre ending.

The first third had almost a literary quality to it so that made the ending all the more disappointing for me. But the book gets almost five stars on Amazon from a lot of readers, so it seems that most people didn't feel the same way. I would recommend it to people who like zombie books or horror books generally. People who like more literary books might not like it as much. I wouldn't say it was a waste of my time or money and I did give it four stars. But.... I had quibbles and wish the ending had been different.

http://www.amazon.com/Girl-All-Gifts...+by+m.r.+carey

It might even appeal to people who don't like sex or swearing in their books (, yes, you, Autumn). I don't recall any of that now. I mention that only because after Autumn voiced her feelings about it, I realised that I think there are very few modern books that don't contain that to one extent or another.

And now I am not sure what I am reading. My day started off with a sick dog and a **** hurricane. Poor dog, not her fault, but it still didn't start my day off right. In fact, I might as well go and clean the bathroom top to bottom. If it's going to be that kind of day, I might as well get all the disgusting stuff over with. And it's raining.

Old 06-06-2015, 03:27 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,558 times
Late getting to it... Olive Kitteridge. gee, how depressing.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:43 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I hated The Dry Grass of August. I didn't even finish it.

Stern Men and Dark Places are both fabulous. If you want a quieter book, go for Stern Men. If you want a page-turner, go for Dark Places.

Room is really good, too.
I liked Stern Men but did skip over some of the lobster trapping parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books