Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2017, 07:32 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
As a "Laura" myself, I must read that! I ordered a copy for my library, so will snag one when it arrives.

And for those who wanted me to report back, "The Golden Son" by Shilpi Somaya Gowda was excellent - just like her other book, "The Secret Daughter." Highly recommended, especially if you enjoy cross-cultural books (specifically Indian vs American culture). Now I'm starting "Before the Fall" by Noah Hawley, while also attempting to finish Ray Bradbury's "Now and Forever." Been working on the latter for a couple of months now, since I had to finish book club books in the meantime.
I liked Before the Fall. Hawley is the primary writer for the television drama, Fargo. This past season was not one of my favorites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 07:33 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,492,366 times
I'm going through American Gods which I picked up because i wanted to read it before watching the show. Without going into spoilers, how much of the book is covered by the first season?
How faithful of an adaption is it? No spoilers please, a yes or no will do.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:34 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
I read The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick and that kind of threw me off of reading more of his books. Although I do have a couple on my to read list...just not at the top, lol.

Hmm....like Archie Bunker. Watching him now makes me cringe.

I am reading Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann which is one of my book group's monthly books. So far it is a very good book and quite interesting as I never heard of the Osage Indians in Oklahoma. It tells their story back in the 20's. They became very wealthy because their land had lots of oil. It should have a happy ending for once for Indians but sadly there was a string of 24 murders and the newly formed FBI is called in to solve them. We still kill and start wars over oil

Old 08-14-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I read The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick and that kind of threw me off of reading more of his books. Although I do have a couple on my to read list...just not at the top, lol.

Hmm....like Archie Bunker. Watching him now makes me cringe.

I am reading Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann which is one of my book group's monthly books. So far it is a very good book and quite interesting as I never heard of the Osage Indians in Oklahoma. It tells their story back in the 20's. They became very wealthy because their land had lots of oil. It should have a happy ending for once for Indians but sadly there was a string of 24 murders and the newly formed FBI is called in to solve them. We still kill and start wars over oil
I didn't read The Silver Linings Playbook. The movie was okay. Killers of the Flower Moon was both riveting and a terrifying true story. Excellent investigative writing.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:10 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I finished The Reason You're Alive by Matthew Quick. I LOVED IT!!!! Great story. What a character he created in David. Wow!

Old 08-14-2017, 06:38 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I finished The Reason You're Alive by Matthew Quick. I LOVED IT!!!! Great story. What a character he created in David. Wow!
Eek. My to-read list is too long.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:43 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Eek. My to-read list is too long.
Read the sample. If you don't like it, then it doesn't even go on the list. If you *do* like it... well, it only gets better from there.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:50 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Added to the TBR list!

I am savoring The Orchardist. I want it to last forever.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:47 PM

Ghachar Ghochar, a novella by Vivek Shanbhag.
I devoured this book in one sitting. An Indian family moves from lower to middle class. I loved every part of it. Am looking forward to reading more rom this author.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/06/b...-shanbhag.html

Old 08-15-2017, 03:24 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Re Matthew Quick- I really liked The Good Luck of Right Now, which got me to read Silver Lining (never saw the movie ) which I really liked as well. Going to check out The Reason You're Alive. I really liked his books.
Great recommendations coming up lately on here- thanks. ( my reading though is slow and just not happening. Was loving Life of Pi and now I am pushing myself to keep with it. i know it will be worth it but it has not maintained the awesomeness that it showed me in the beginning. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books