Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2017, 10:44 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times

Advertisements

I finished It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover. This book completely absorbed me. I read it in one day. I had no idea what it was about. At first I thought it was just a romance but then it became so much more and much sadder. It gave me an insight to what an abused woman might go through when the man is basically good and she still loves him.

Now I am reading The Hate U Give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 01:05 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I finished Devil's Bargain by Joshua Green
An extremely informative book on Steve Bannon and his influence on the
election. I consider myself a politically astute person, but the author, who has studied Bannon for years, provided new details.
I just picked this up at Costco. I'll read it right after my next book club book.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:20 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I just picked this up at Costco. I'll read it right after my next book club book.
liz, Did you finish Who Thought This Was a Good Idea? By Alyssa Mastromonaco. I kept waiting for more info on President Obama and less about the author's bodily functions. I was disappointed as he appeared so infrequently in the book. I learned very little about her working relationship with one of the most compelling figures in my lifetime. The book may have been directed toward a younger audience. I did love Pete Souza's photos.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:44 PM

17 posts, read 14,401 times
"Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future"

They'll make movies about this guy some day.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:49 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times
It's over and I'm so sad. I finished The Orchardist.

It is hard for me to put into words how much I loved that book! The characters are so well developed and genuine. They are quiet and the book is quiet and slowly paced. I felt like I was there in that orchard and I'm sorry that I'm not.

This isn't the book for everyone, but it was certainly the book for me.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:45 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elon Musk View Post
"Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future"

They'll make movies about this guy some day.
Maybe as the biggest con man we will ever see

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
It's over and I'm so sad. I finished The Orchardist.

It is hard for me to put into words how much I loved that book! The characters are so well developed and genuine. They are quiet and the book is quiet and slowly paced. I felt like I was there in that orchard and I'm sorry that I'm not.

This isn't the book for everyone, but it was certainly the book for me.
Aww...I hate when we finish a very good book.

Maybe you would like something like Mink River by Brian Doyle:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9250050-mink-river

or
San Miguel by T.C. Boyle :
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13589156-san-miguel

Old 08-18-2017, 06:56 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I finished It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover. This book completely absorbed me. I read it in one day. I had no idea what it was about. At first I thought it was just a romance but then it became so much more and much sadder. It gave me an insight to what an abused woman might go through when the man is basically good and she still loves him.

Now I am reading The Hate U Give.
I've got it on hold.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:18 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
liz, Did you finish Who Thought This Was a Good Idea? By Alyssa Mastromonaco. I kept waiting for more info on President Obama and less about the author's bodily functions. I was disappointed as he appeared so infrequently in the book. I learned very little about her working relationship with one of the most compelling figures in my lifetime. The book may have been directed toward a younger audience. I did love Pete Souza's photos.
I did. I had some mixed feelings about it. I did think perhaps a bit less about bodily functions would have been preferable. And really, it was ideal more for women in their twenties. But, I did find it a very quick read, and I did enjoy it. It wasn't as deeply about her specific relationship with Obama (like some other political memoirs I've read), but I did find it to be a good contribution, in that I did find it refreshing and different in terms of a book about careers (especially for women) and doing things you're afraid to do. It also painted such a stark contrast between the utter competence of the Obama administration -- even (and perhaps especially) down to those who are running logistics and all sorts of things you never think of, versus the sheer incompetence of the current administration (the forgetting to book hotels for the President or any of the US delegation to the recent meeting in Germany being one example of the thoroughness of the incompetence.)

I haven't read anything quite like it before, and in that sense I'm still really glad I read it. Even if it was a bit different than I expected and not quite as -- what's the word? serious? academic? political? deep? as a lot of the books I usually read, especially that recount a presidential administration.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:28 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,416,945 times
I just finished the Life of P[B][/b]i, and while I did enjoy it, I don't know that I loved it. I may have been a bit distracted while reading it so very possibly in a better frame of mind I might agree with the vast numbers of people who adored this. I am glad I read it but again I did not love it and I was not blown away.
I looked at my library "Available now" selection of kindle and saw The Giver. This is another one I have heard much about and somehow never read and never saw the movie . I just started it and I think it's going to hold me.
(it's also not a lengthy book so it's got that going for it and me as I seem to really lose momentum .Not the books' faults but it happens).

Old 08-20-2017, 01:19 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Thanks to Hulsker 1856 and this post //www.city-data.com/forum/49028240-post6.html I started The Summer of Katya by Trevanian. (I don't know why Amazon has the author listed as Don Winslow... weird.) I'm just 10% in but I'm loving it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books