Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2020, 08:07 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Started "The Ocean at the End of the Lane" by Neil Gaiman yesterday...will probably finish it within the next few hours. So far I'm thinking 4/5 stars, the grammar can be weird sometimes and the story is more fantasy than I thought, but it's written well enough to keep me turning the pages.
This book surprised me! I really enjoyed it, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 09:21 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
What a wonderful story! I really liked this one. You might want to try The Graveyard Book by Gaiman. Also a great book!

I just finished The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street. The end really surprised me. 4 out of 5 stars for me.

Started The Kitchen God's Wife yesterday.

Now I need to think which books to take on vacation. Always difficult
I loved The Kitchen God's Wife.

Read it maybe 20 years ago, and still remember parts of it well.

Old 07-13-2020, 07:33 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
The Virginian: A Horseman of the Plains, Owen Wister 1902.
^ put that one down for now...

Just finished Skeleton Man (Leaphorn & Chee #17), Tony Hillerman 2004.

Reading The Shape Shifter (Leaphorn & Chee #18), Tony Hillerman 2006.

^ #18 is the last in the series written by Tony Hillerman. His daughter, Anne Hillerman, picks it up at #19 through #23.

Old 07-14-2020, 09:28 AM

4,796 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default Through the looking glass

Frida in America : the creative awakening of a great artist / Celia Stahr, c2020, St. Martin’s Press, 759.972 STAH.

Subjects
Kahlo, Frida.
Kahlo, Frida -- Psychology.
Expatriate artists -- United States -- Biography.
Artists -- Mexico -- Biography.

Summary
"The riveting story of how three years spent in the United States transformed Frida Kahlo into the artist we know today Mexican artist Frida Kahlo adored adventure. In November, 1930, she was thrilled to realize her dream of traveling to the United States to live in San Francisco, Detroit, and New York. Still, leaving her family and her country for the first time was monumental. Only twenty-three and newly married to the already world-famous forty-three-year-old Diego Rivera, she was at a crossroads in her life and this new place, one filled with magnificent beauty, horrific poverty, racial tension, anti-Semitism, ethnic diversity, bland Midwestern food, and a thriving music scene, pushed Frida in unexpected directions. Shifts in her style of painting began to appear, cracks in her marriage widened, and tragedy struck, twice while she was living in Detroit. Frida in America is the first in-depth biography of these formative years spent in Gringolandia, a place Frida couldn't always understand. But it's precisely her feelings of being a stranger in a strange land that fueled her creative passions and an even stronger sense of Mexican identity. With vivid detail, Frida in America recreates the pivotal journey that made Senora Rivera the world famous Frida Kahlo"-- Provided by publisher.

Length - xv, 383 pages, 8 unnumbered pages of plates : chapter notes, image credits, index

An intense look @ Frida’s life & work while in the US. A formative experience for her, on top of all the other events in her life. An excellent view of her time in the US.

Old 07-14-2020, 07:20 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
I am reading Grisham's The Guardians and finding it quite boring. May give up except I am bookless right now.

Old 07-15-2020, 06:36 AM

832 posts, read 412,794 times
Just finished "All This Could Be Yours" by Jami Attenberg https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...could-be-yours

This was a 3 star read for me.

Old 07-15-2020, 02:31 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Started "The Ocean at the End of the Lane" by Neil Gaiman yesterday...will probably finish it within the next few hours. So far I'm thinking 4/5 stars, the grammar can be weird sometimes and the story is more fantasy than I thought, but it's written well enough to keep me turning the pages.
I still think about that book, having read it a couple of years ago.

Old 07-15-2020, 02:32 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse66 View Post
Just finished "All This Could Be Yours" by Jami Attenberg https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...could-be-yours

This was a 3 star read for me.
I posted this on another thread about disappointing books:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I just finished All This Could Be Yours, by Jami Attenberg. I was so disappointed. It had been highly recommend by a friend and neighbor. Has anyone else read it? I kept thinking that surely there would be something redeeming about these characters if I just kept reading....

Even this review makes it look as if it were something brilliant.

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/23/77229...xic-narcissist

Old 07-16-2020, 05:09 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
Long Road to Mercy (Atlee Pine #1), David Baldacci 2018.

Old 07-16-2020, 08:00 AM

832 posts, read 412,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I posted this on another thread about disappointing books:
Yeah, it was just ok, not horrible or anything (but just ok).

Did you read Saint Mazie? My mother read the book and loved it, so I will probably go on and read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books