Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2020, 07:27 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times

Advertisements

Finished up The Splendid and the Vile, and it was great, as expected. Starting Little Fires Everywhere, because I'd like to watch the series on Hulu and want to read the book first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2020, 12:03 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Finished up The Splendid and the Vile, and it was great, as expected. Starting Little Fires Everywhere, because I'd like to watch the series on Hulu and want to read the book first.
I didn't read the book, but I'm watching the series. If you liked Reese Witherspoon's character in Big Little Lies, you'll like her in this. They're the same character.

Old 03-24-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I didn't read the book, but I'm watching the series. If you liked Reese Witherspoon's character in Big Little Lies, you'll like her in this. They're the same character.
I'm am absolutely LOVING the book. I may finish it tonight or tomorrow. Then I'll start the series.

I enjoyed the Big Little Lies series, and that is one of the very few productions where I watched the filmed version before reading the book. (I actually wish they had stuck closer to the book, but alas..). I did like the book, too.

Does Reese play the mom of 4? I've heard that the series is a little different from the book. I love how, at least so far, the book really gets the nuance of all kinds of issues involving race and adoption and white privilege. That is such a joy after having read A Good Neighborhood, where it got all the issues totally wrong. (Although that one had little to do with adoption.)

Old 03-24-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I'm am absolutely LOVING the book. I may finish it tonight or tomorrow. Then I'll start the series.

I enjoyed the Big Little Lies series, and that is one of the very few productions where I watched the filmed version before reading the book. (I actually wish they had stuck closer to the book, but alas..). I did like the book, too.

Does Reese play the mom of 4? I've heard that the series is a little different from the book. I love how, at least so far, the book really gets the nuance of all kinds of issues involving race and adoption and white privilege. That is such a joy after having read A Good Neighborhood, where it got all the issues totally wrong. (Although that one had little to do with adoption.)
Yup, Reese is the mom of 4.

Check out this link. Apparently the series handles race even more than in the book. https://www.city-data.com/forum/tv/3...here-hulu.html

Old 03-24-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Yup, Reese is the mom of 4.

Check out this link. Apparently the series handles race even more than in the book. https://www.city-data.com/forum/tv/3...here-hulu.html
Interesting thread. Interesting also that they made Mia black.

Old 03-24-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Interesting thread. Interesting also that they made Mia black.
I saw your question about the location in the series -- it is Shaker Heights, but it seems that the high school (in the series) is pretty evenly split black/white.

Old 03-24-2020, 04:47 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
I saw your question about the location in the series -- it is Shaker Heights, but it seems that the high school (in the series) is pretty evenly split black/white.
My niece and her family live in Shaker Heights. (Paul Newman grew up there,) It is integrated as opposed to when I lived in an area abutting Shaker. I read both of Ng’s books. Dawn, I remember you liked Everything I Never Told You. I read Reese is now type cast in this type of role.

Old 03-24-2020, 04:57 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
After a couple years away, I started the Tim Dorsey Serge Storms series again. Knocked out the first one (Florida Roadkill) and working on the second (Hammerhead Ranch Motel) now.

Old 03-24-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
My niece and her family live in Shaker Heights. (Paul Newman grew up there,) It is integrated as opposed to when I lived in an area abutting Shaker. I read both of Ng’s books. Dawn, I remember you liked Everything I Never Told You. I read Reese is now type cast in this type of role.
Although I don't know exactly what "integrated" really means. I mean, if few black people actually live in the geographic area, then there won't be a lot of black kids in the schools. This is sadly the case in many communities.

Maybe Reese is typecast, but she actually produces a lot of these shows. So she can put herself in any role she'd like. I believe she herself bought the rights to Big Little Lies and also Little Fires, so she could cast herself in whatever role she sees fit. And if she bought rights to a different book, she could put herself in a different type of role.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:55 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
My library's 'closed' but we can still reserve books/DVDs/CDs online and when they're available we just need to drive down and park in front of the library, call and let them know we're there, and someone comes out and puts your reserve(s) on a table out front, they go back inside and we go home with the goods.
I wish! I envy you. All we have is a portable unit to return any books we checked out before the closure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books