Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2020, 04:45 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Right?!? I mean, she can't change her voice and what she sounds like but, my god, SAME CHARACTER.

There are 8 episodes as per IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8089592...ref_=tt_ov_epl
I thought 5 seemed like a very strangely low number. I thought Hulu still showed what the full number of episodes would be even if they weren't available, yet mine was only showing through 5, even though 5 wasn't available. 8 seems more in line with what I expected.

And even the writing -- I mean, the sex schedule with her husband? That was just freaking weird, and wasn't in the book, but would be right in line with something her BLL character would have done. I don't know if she personally is this annoying, but she sure makes characters that she creates to be very annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2020, 04:48 PM

I finished up a book called The Assassin's Hour. It was a Book of the Month selection, but I don't really know why. I got it on a whim, since I don't read a lot of thrillers, as I think they're hard to do well. But, I wasn't missing much. This was just meh -- it was a fast read, but it wasn't particularly compelling, and it was cliched.

Now reading In The Garden of Beasts, one of Erik Larsen's previous books, which I just HAD to have in hardback and bought it when it was published because I wanted to read it so bad and didn't want to wait. So, now, nine years later I'm getting to it. I'm liking it a lot.

Old 03-29-2020, 06:21 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post

And even the writing -- I mean, the sex schedule with her husband?
That was ridiculous! And even more ridiculous when he tries on an "on" day and she looks over at the clock and sees (and SAYS!) that it's now the next ("off") day. And most ridiculous that he puts up with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Real life feels a bit (a lot) heavy these days so, instead of a memoir, I'm going to read another novel. I'll start Feast Your Eyes by Myla Goldberg after dinner. I'm not sure that I'm going to like it -- the structure sounds difficult (see below) -- but I'll give it a shot.

The structure: "...framed as the catalogue notes from a photography show at the Museum of Modern Art, tells the life story of Lillian Preston... reads as a collection of Samantha’s memories, interviews with Lillian’s friends and lovers, and excerpts from Lillian’s journals and letters—a collage of stories and impressions, together amounting to an astounding portrait of a mother and an artist..."
I said that I wasn't sure that I'd like it due to the structure. I was wrong -- it's brilliant -- and I'm 25% in. Very enjoyable read so far.

Old 03-29-2020, 06:24 PM

329 posts, read 224,975 times
Just finished The Path to Tyranny (Michael E. Newton) and have started, "True Colors," by Kristin Hannah. One is nonfiction (political/world history) and the other is pure "book candy" a/k/a chick lit. I needed it after getting through The Path to Tyranny.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:51 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,113 times
Quote:
I finished up a book called The Assassin's Hour. It was a Book of the Month selection, but I don't really know why. I got it on a whim, since I don't read a lot of thrillers, as I think they're hard to do well. But, I wasn't missing much. This was just meh -- it was a fast read, but it wasn't particularly compelling, and it was cliched.

Now reading In The Garden of Beasts, one of Erik Larsen's previous books, which I just HAD to have in hardback and bought it when it was published because I wanted to read it so bad and didn't want to wait. So, now, nine years later I'm getting to it. I'm liking it a lot.
The Garden of the Beasts one of Larson’s bests. I read it several years ago.

Old 03-31-2020, 04:29 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,184,833 times
Relentless Pursuit: My Fight for the Victims of Jeffrey Epstein by Bradley J. Edwards.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:35 AM

829 posts, read 411,623 times
Just finished "Normal People" by Sally Rooney https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-normal-people

This originally was a DNF at about page 50. Picked it back up and it did get better as the book went on, but in the end I'm only giving it 2 stars.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse66 View Post
Just finished "Normal People" by Sally Rooney https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-normal-people

This originally was a DNF at about page 50. Picked it back up and it did get better as the book went on, but in the end I'm only giving it 2 stars.
That one was just meh for me too. I didn't like the ending.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:48 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,140,435 times
The Scarecrow (Jack McEvoy #2), Michael Connelly (2009).

Old 03-31-2020, 09:11 AM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,991 times
Quote:
I just needed to say "Holy Crap!" They absolutely ARE the exact same character. Exactly. To the point of it being very irritating to me. There was even a line she says that is IDENTICAL in both series. She needs to stop playing this role again, because she manages to make the characters (which in the books were vaguely similar) into being carbon copies of each other. And both are way more annoying and unlikeable than they are in the books.

I watched the first 4 (out of 5) episodes yesterday. As I knew I would be, I'm irked by the changes. The book was so much better. The last episode will be released on Wednesday. The series is still good, but Reese's character is very annoying.

I agree about the two characters being identical. I think Reese is a good actress, but she's no Merryl Streep, going from one unique to a totally different one.

The first movies I saw her in were Election and Legally Blond. Makes me feel old that she is no longer playing a ditzy blond teen and young adult...and is now typecast as a suburban middle-aged matron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books