Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2017, 06:33 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times

Advertisements

I have The Summer of Katya ready to roll for my next read. I've been way too busy with work and hurricane patrol, but am looking forward to some quiet time later this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 08:04 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Because I liked her first book (We Were Liars) and despite the fact that people are saying that this is a knock-off of The Talented Mr. Ripley, I'm going to start E. Lockhart's Genuine Fraud tonight.

ETA: I just noticed that it's YA. Not my favorite. Eh, I'll try it anyway.
Never mind. I just read the first 23 pages. No. I'll find something else to read.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:09 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I read House in the Sky a few years ago and thought it was good- kind of for sure an amazing story(non fiction) but I wasn't so overwhelmed by it.

Marlow- I read that Out Stealing Horses also several years ago. I don't remember how it came to me-- most likely on a forum like this. I don't recall much of it other than I think it was not a very uplifting story and it took some effort.........

I am VERY SLOWLY reading China Doll by Lisa See. Pretty good but it's taking me forever.
I'm giving up on Out Stealing Horses. It's just too sad for me. The writing is beautiful but I like my reading (and TV watching) to be light and entertaining these days. Just a few degrees short of pure fluff. Not sure what's next on the list. I have a copy of Game of Thrones that I may try. I haven't seen the series and I understand it's violent so it might not be what I'm looking for. But I want an entertaining page-turner and am thinking it might work.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:16 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
... Memoir of a young Canadian woman held captive in Somalia for 460 days.

LookinForMayberry -- It's no effort at all to be devastated by this story. It's horrific. And if she could live it and write about it, I can read it.
Your "stomach" is much stronger than mine.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:29 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
OH I get the comment without having read the bk now...

[/b]
Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/House-Sky-Mem...use+in+the+sky

Memoir of a young Canadian woman held captive in Somalia for 460 days.

LookinForMayberry -- It's no effort at all to be devastated by this story. It's horrific. And if she could live it and write about it, I can read it.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:22 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,070,436 times
I'm reading My Ishmael, a philosophical novel which is the follow up to Ishmael. Both books explore the question of how our species came to be where we are now, a seemingly doomed species on a dying planet, and pinpoints the moment in history that led us to this point. The book was written 20 years ago but it's just as relevant now as it was then. Perhaps more so.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:42 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Here are a couple of books I just finished:

I read Exit West by Mohsin Hamid as a "purple cover" challenge, lol. I enjoyed this fantasy based book that intertwines people, lives and many different places. Nadia and Saeed meet in their worn torn country. We never find out which country but it could be any country with civil unrest and people fleeing. It is a dangerous place for them and they learn about these "magical" doors. Once you step through a door you will enter into a new country with different people and better opportunities. Not all doors lead to a perfect fit and sometimes people need to try a new door. I like how the book shows how we have all immigrated in one way or another and we are all intertwined by the doors of the past and also of today.

This was a quick read and a different perspective of people who have to get away and are starting over.

And also The Halo Effect by Anne D. LeClaire which I didn't love at the beginning. This book tells a story of a couple who's teen daughter is taken and murdered. The mother deals with her grief by becoming an advocate for other parents in the same situation. The father, Will, wants vengeance and he is overcome with thoughts of finding the killer and killing him, which of course would change his entire life all over again. He is an artist and and is commissioned by the church to paint the saints. I found this part fascinating. He chooses everyday people to model for the saints because the saints were every day people some good some bad. It shows that people didn't "start" out as saints but still could change and become good.

It is mostly Will's story and he does drag on in the beginning but people experience grief differently so I can excuse him for not being the most likable person. It is also about Rain, who was Lucy's best friend. She is not doing well and we learn more about her when she sees a "shrink" as Rain calls her. I really liked her character.

Interesting take on grief, saints, and secrets. Now I want to read more about those "bad" saints

Hmm....what to read next. So many choices. I'm not sure what will grab me right now. I have quite a few non fiction books to read but I'm not sure if I am in the mode for that.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:28 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I just finished listening to T. Geronimo Johnson's "Hold it 'til it Hurts." It was stark, gripping -- raw, it was so brutally honest. There were times I had to put it down, gasping. My heart feels like it was squeezed in a vise.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I just finished listening to T. Geronimo Johnson's "Hold it 'til it Hurts." It was stark, gripping -- raw, it was so brutally honest. There were times I had to put it down, gasping. My heart feels like it was squeezed in a vise.
Added to my "to read" list. Thanks!

Old 09-13-2017, 10:07 AM

At Home in the World: A Memoir by Joyce Maynard.

I just started it. I'm enjoying it. She's interesting. So is her family. It's about much more than her "scandal" with J.D. Salinger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books