Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2012, 07:28 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Just a couple of words about Downton Abbey in January: Shirley MacClaine as Cora's American mother.

I just checked and there are several Downton Abbey books by the Fellowes' who created the characters.
What happened to Elizabeth McGovern?

I will have to check out the books! Thnaks for telling me about them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 08:24 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
What happened to Elizabeth McGovern?

I will have to check out the books! Thnaks for telling me about them!
OK - I'm looking at Downton Abbey books and I realized now what you said about Shirley MacClaine and that I read what you wrote wrong. The books that are even related to the subject matter look interesting to me. Maybe I need to visit the library soon.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:30 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I'm switching between two right now, but focusing more on the one because it's turning out to be really interesting with superb writing. It is called What it is Like Going to War by Karl Marlantes, author of Matterhorn (Vietnam fiction), which was also a great, great book, and I think won the Pulitzer.

I think this book contains everything anyone might ever have wanted to ask a soldier, including what it's like to kill someone, but he, as a Rhodes Scholar and graduate of Yale, actually knows how to write. He addresses the spiritual dimension of war. He served in the Vietnam war and won a large amount of medals. From what I've read so far, I was thinking this book might be a good book idea for anyone who knows soldiers out there.

If I was Dawn, I'd be writing him love letters. He's just that good.

And I picked up Stone Spring by Stephen Baxter, which seems to be about the stone age people. I keep getting drawn back into the other book, so I'm not very far along in this one. I noticed there is a sequel to it called Bronze something or the other.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:34 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

If I was Dawn, I'd be writing him love letters. He's just that good.
Hmmmm.

Well, since I invited people to your house from this forum for a cranky party, and people from the food forum for hot crash potatoes, maybe I *will* write to him and invite him to your house for... for... something. Is he cute?

Old 12-06-2012, 12:34 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
...maybe I *will* write to him and invite him to your house for... for... something. Is he cute?
She devil!

Uh, I meant "sheer deviltry" yeah, that's it.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
She devil!

Uh, I meant "sheer deviltry" yeah, that's it.
No, no, no! I meant we could play with plastic toy soldiers together!

Old 12-06-2012, 02:40 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I have been traveling to various offices all 1 - 3 hours away a few days a week lately so decided that I'd go to the library and pick up some CD books. I chose books that I might not have chosen to read, but they seemed easy enough to listen to while driving and navigating and adaptable to stop and start as I get in and out of the car. My choices were: Save Me by Lisa Scottoline and Once Upon a Time There was You by Elizabeth Berg.

I would rank them as pretty awful - or at least not very good and barely listenable.

Maybe audio books are just not my thing, but this was NOT enjoyable. I became hyper-aware of repetitive patterns throughout the writing and it was so distracting. They both just plodded along. Maybe I skip a little when I read, but at least I keep the pace up.

Oh well - back to the ipod and music.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Ah! One of my library Kindle holds came through, so I'm soon going to start on Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity by Katherine Boo. It's supposed to be a remarkable book. It won the National Book Award and seems to be on all the Top Ten for 2012 lists. The author has also won the Pulitzer Prize.

Amazon.com: Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity (9781400067558): Katherine Boo: Books
Aaaaaaand it's boring me to tears. It's like reading a very long article in Time magazine.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:10 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
No, no, no! I meant we could play with plastic toy soldiers together!
So, you like little soldiers, too?
(Just playin' with you.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I have been traveling to various offices all 1 - 3 hours away a few days a week lately so decided that I'd go to the library and pick up some CD books. ... Maybe audio books are just not my thing, but this was NOT enjoyable.
It could be, but I am thinking that you should try it with books that you actually want to listen to, but don't required concentration. DH and I used to listen to audiobooks together as we traveled, and the readers have to be as good as the writers in audiobooks.

I loved the Nevada Barr's Anna Pigeon books on audio, because the stories just amble along and are interesting without being absorbing. The same is true for Sue Grafton's alphabet series. Frankly, any of the cozier books work great. I wouldn't listen to a Ludlum while driving -- too intense.

Quote:
Aaaaaaand it's boring me to tears. It's like reading a very long article in Time magazine.
So, I take it you are not an editor for Time.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:12 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
You definitely were right Dawn - those two books were NOT my style! So funny how we all know each other's tastes so well here!

I just tried to buy Marjorie Morningstar for my Kindle and it isn't going to be available until January, 2013 - I don't know why I thought that was weird. Oh well, I'm Kindle-fickle and switch back and forth between books and Kindle so I just got the "real" version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books