Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2016, 11:59 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

I read The Swans of Fifth Avenue. The middle dragged a bit (or maybe that was me?!), but I enjoyed it. Truman Capote was, clearly, a piece of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 01:44 PM

414 posts, read 911,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
I am reading Jonathan Kellerman's Breakdown, the latest Alex Delaware thriller. So far, so good. Alex is enlisting Milo's help to find a patient he had a few years back because the kid's mom resurfaced without her son.

I have reread all of the Delaware series in order in audio format. I know I am going to have major withdrawls when this one is finished.

Any thriller suggestions? I've also read all of Faye Kellerman's books. I need a new author!
Have you read any books by John Lescroart? I've read many, enjoyed most. I'm also a huge fan of Harlan Coben.

(John Lescroart's name is pronounced as: Less-kwah)

Last edited by SadieLu; 04-07-2016 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-07-2016, 02:05 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I read The Swans of Fifth Avenue. The middle dragged a bit (or maybe that was me?!), but I enjoyed it. Truman Capote was, clearly, a piece of work.
Have you ever read any of his work, other than "In Cold Blood"?

Has anyone?

Old 04-07-2016, 02:17 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Have you ever read any of his work, other than "In Cold Blood"?

Has anyone?
I have. I've read In Cold Blood, of course, which was beyond brilliant. I've also read Breakfast at Tiffany's and some of his short stories (from a compilation book). I now (well, soon; when I get to it) *must* read Answered Prayers -- or at least the La Cote Basque story, since that was the story that brought him and the swans down.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:15 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I have. I've read In Cold Blood, of course, which was beyond brilliant. I've also read Breakfast at Tiffany's and some of his short stories (from a compilation book). I now (well, soon; when I get to it) *must* read Answered Prayers -- or at least the La Cote Basque story, since that was the story that brought him and the swans down.
I think I have to go back and read "In Cold Blood" again. It's been decades and I don't think I was old enough to think about it critically. Then again, I've always been repelled by true crime -- I cannot really manage to live in a world where such horrendous crimes take place.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:37 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
I'm reading of secret things by anne tatlock . She lives in nc and I find a lot of nc writers fascinating .

Old 04-07-2016, 08:05 PM

414 posts, read 911,190 times
Just finished Fool Me Once by Harlan Coben. As usual, it was a good one!

I was away for a week or so and forgot to "freeze" my library requests so now I have 6, count them, 6 books to read in 2 weeks! I'm sure I won't be able to do that and will have to make some difficult choices (haha). But I now have Hidden Bodies by Caroline Kepnes (also wrote You), Find Her by Lisa Gardner, The Passenger by Lisa Lutz, The Crooked House, The Winter Girl and No Safe Secret. Any suggestions on which to tackle first?

Old 04-07-2016, 09:20 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
I am reading the last of my Kindle books by Dick Francis..."Banker"... Main character is merchant banker who loves the wife of his business partner and vice versa w/o any stepping over the rails, so to speak, because they both care for her husband who is older and has mid-stage Parkinson's disease...The theme is not just money but medicine...

The banker becomes involved with a holistic healer of sick horses and also lending money to a man who buys a champion stallion for his stud only to have the foals produced born with birth defects, most deadly and very disfiguring....
a very visceral, disturbing mystery the banker is driven to solve.
There are couple of other murders, one of a young girl which is unusual for a Francis novel, but it is the weight of dismay that comes from the innocent foals that must be put down right after birth that makes this novel so sad and delivers a villien who is truly one of the worst in Francis's lengthy and inventive compilation...

This is a well-written book...many of the characters are subtle reshapings of others from past books but they are always themselves at the same time...
It is a very bitter-sweet book which wouldn't seem to fit a mystery but that is the emotion I finish with...

Old 04-08-2016, 05:35 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
hi all I just received something in the mail about a book a friend read :The Sex Lives of Cannibals Adrift in the Equcatorial Pacific by J. Maarten Troost . It is a memoir , humor , travelogue
In the late 1990's the author accompanied his wife to live on the island of Tarawa in a small country called Kiribati . She worked for a program to help the destitute citizens . He wrote about ordinary life , the culture , the beauty and the challenges of their 2 yrs there . the book was funny in parts and fascinating too . I was glad to have travelled there via his words . Somewhere in the middle of the pacific is a tiny island country I never knew exsisted but now I do .
She is a voracious reader like me and from time to time she will send a postcard outlining a book she would like me to try , Hurray for us bibiophiles !!!

Old 04-08-2016, 03:30 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,433 times
Some short, pulpy French novels to work on my French. Right now it's a French translation of an Italian police mystery novel, La lune de papier (The Paper Moon) by Andrea Camilleri.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books