Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 04:54 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times

Advertisements

I just finished my two freebie kindle "TBR" books.

Whispers In Autumn
Sixteen year old Althea has always known she was different. She has never seen summer. She also gets "moved" from family to family and wakes up in different houses for different seasons. She has a different family for spring, fall and winter. This autumn she learns why she can feel and have emotions that other humans don't. Earth has been taken over by a group called "Others" and the people have been brainwashed to live unaware and cooperative. She also meets Lucas who is like her. It is the first part of their story to save the humans on Earth.

The books starts off interesting and it is an easy read and flows well. It is just not over the top great. I am not sure if I will read the rest of the series but it wasn't bad.

and
A Heartbeat Away which is a Christian Mystery.
I really enjoyed this mystery about a surgeon who not only receives a heart from someone else but also some of their memories and emotions. I liked learning a bit about Transference Memories and cellular memories. This is a great mystery with a murder to be solved by the woman who is remembering thoughts that are not her own.

Now I am reading Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger which seems to be another Christian book but got good reviews.
"New Bremen, Minnesota, 1961. The Twins were playing their debut season, ice-cold root beers were at the ready at Halderson’s Drug Store soda counter, and Hot Stuff comic books were a mainstay on every barbershop magazine rack. It was a time of innocence and hope for a country with a new, young president. But for thirteen-year-old Frank Drum it was a summer in which death assumed many forms.

When tragedy unexpectedly comes to call on his family, which includes his Methodist minister father, his passionate, artistic mother, Juilliard-bound older sister, and wise-beyond-his years kid brother, Frank finds himself thrust into an adult world full of secrets, lies, adultery, and betrayal.

On the surface, Ordinary Grace is the story of the murder of a beautiful young woman, a beloved daughter and sister. At heart, it’s the story of what that tragedy does to a boy, his family, and ultimately the fabric of the small town in which he lives. Told from Frank’s perspective forty years after that fateful summer, it is a moving account of a boy standing at the door of his young manhood, trying to understand a world that seems to be falling apart around him. It is an unforgettable novel about discovering the terrible price of wisdom and the enduring grace of God."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 05:06 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I simply could not finish Ordinary Grace at all it dragged and then got really boring and I put it down and will not be picking it back up ...No boo hiss not good at all . Onto the bully pulpit ...I m hoping that is a good one .

Ha, ha….I'll let you know how it goes for me

Old 07-27-2015, 09:46 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I just finished my two freebie kindle "TBR" books.

Whispers In Autumn
Sixteen year old Althea has always known she was different. She has never seen summer. She also gets "moved" from family to family and wakes up in different houses for different seasons. She has a different family for spring, fall and winter. This autumn she learns why she can feel and have emotions that other humans don't. Earth has been taken over by a group called "Others" and the people have been brainwashed to live unaware and cooperative. She also meets Lucas who is like her. It is the first part of their story to save the humans on Earth.

The books starts off interesting and it is an easy read and flows well. It is just not over the top great. I am not sure if I will read the rest of the series but it wasn't bad.

I enjoyed the book and I agree with your take on it. I don't plan to read any of the others in the series.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:39 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,183,718 times
The Cartel by Don Winslow.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:57 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,810,279 times
I just finished Sandman Slim, very weird book. I am now in the middle of Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:04 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Younger by Suzanne Munshower.

Younger, Suzanne Munshower - Amazon.com

This one caught me by surprise. It sounded interesting and was only $1.99 for the kindle. So, I bought it. It's really good. Kinda' hard to describe. I didn't want to go to bed last night because it's so good. Woke up this morning and it's the first thing I thought of.

It's a bit Hitchcockian and in no way a sweet story. It's exciting like Coben's The Stranger is. What's going on? It is slowly unfolding but I am unable to second guess it.

The editing is excellent. I have to look up words from time to time (I like that). The protagonist is likeable and I think a lot of readers will identify with her.

I highly recommend this one.
I'm about 20% into Younger and am quite intrigued! Not my usual sort of book, but I'm really enjoying it so far!

Old 07-27-2015, 03:14 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I finally finished The Girls - I've been traveling a lot for work right now (in the car much more than I want to be) so haven't had as much time to read. I liked it a lot though can't say that I was head over heals about it. It might be that the wave of enthusiasm passed because it took me so long to finish - not sure. There were so many characters that I really enjoyed!

A total opposite experience was that I listened to John Grisham's Skipping Christmas while traveling for work. There was not a single character in that book that I liked - not one! What a stupid story. I get the whole "skipping the hoopla of Christmas" part, but these were people who went to Church enough to be social friends with the priest and yet their skipping Christmas included skipping any religious observance as well. I would have been better off listening to my own boring thoughts and radio static!
I read Skipping Christmas years ago and while it wasn't one of my favorite books, I didn't find it unrealistic. When the movie Christmas With the Kranks came out, I watched it half-heartedly and wondered why the story seemed familiar. About half-way through, I realized it was actually Skipping Christmas and why was it treated like a comedy; I certainly didn't think the book was funny, just rather sad.

Currently, I'm reading The Call of the Wild. Why have I resisted Jack London for all these years?

Old 07-27-2015, 07:16 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Finished The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up - yay! (not to get into a de-cluttering discussion but it was very, very good and worth reading)...........flipped through Pioneer Girl (it was a bit to thesis like for me) and returned both to the library. Picked up The Girls and--- remembered all the raves about City of Thieves so I picked that up as well. ( I was so happy to see it's not a big book either!!Yay me!

thank you for all the suggestions.

Last edited by Mayvenne; 07-27-2015 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: forgot to underline

Old 07-27-2015, 08:07 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I finished We Are Called to Rise. Eh. I wasn't crazy about the writing. It was written in multiple points of view, one of them being an 8-year-old boy. They ALL sounded like 8-year-old boys, though -- him, the 22-year-old soldier, and the 53-year-old woman. Also the story ended too neatly. Sappy sweet. I really can't recommend it and I'm not even sure why I finished it.

Next up: Bradstreet Gate.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:49 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Finished A Man Called Ove. What a story. At first, I wasn't so sure I was going to enjoy it but I gave it some time. Then I liked it and enjoyed reading it. By the end, I loved it and didn't want it to end. Well done.

Next up will be The Martian since there is a wait list on that one but not on Rush Home Road (not to mention I just finished The Mountain Story so another book between hers is a good thing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books