Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 12:31 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,689,306 times

Advertisements

Anyway Andrew ate the cookies, and why and how many! Yes Jerry and Grace! and I am getting out! Also in winter what was the farovtie
of every child who did want a day off from school from snow! There is only one correct answer for the happy snow person! He always loved weather and Snow, and more Snow! A day off for us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Jimmy10, are you saying that you don't know half the items on the list, or that even though you are not from Boston you DO know at least half?

By the way, I wouldn't expect your sports loyalties to be a problem. Bostonians tend to have a such a deep loyalty to their teams that I think around here people will respect fans that remain true to their longtime favorites more than those who jump onto the bandwagon of whatever team is hot at the moment. And at least for the moment, given the probable World Series matchup, there will most likely be many honorary Phillies fans around Boston for the next couple of weeks. Congrats to your team and its fans on a second straight pennant.
I do think the phrase was a fair weather friend, which means stick with what you Believe! So if you belive in your team you are a real fan. Best of Luck and a win!

Old 10-23-2009, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Every time I am in the Nort End I think of that commercial and have a visual of a mother yelling out the window.
Good one!

If I ever said to someone that I had to go the The Liquor Store people would look at me funny.
The day was Anthony, ! and we all know it is
the 4th day of the week! then homework and snow! and help! we do need
a day off for snow! one station and weather person!

Old 10-23-2009, 01:07 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,552 times
I just read this, and it made me tear up. I'm moving back to Boston (where I was born & raised) after being away for 9 years. Some of it made me laugh out loud. My dad's last name is, of course, Murphy. Heck, I got married at Plimoth Plantation! (they do weddings there, and it was really nice). Some of it, like the sports stuff, I didn't care about. Some I don't remember at all... or just vaguely. Most of it, though, brought back memories. Some of them horrifying, hee hee.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to moving back. God, I'll have to get an ice scraper to put in my car year round! Horrifying, heh.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:43 PM

282 posts, read 575,160 times
As someone who hasn't lived in the Boston area for more than 30 years, this made me laugh and brought back a lot of great memories. 02134? Sing it to this day. Deeply miss scorpian bowls. Zayres? Used to shop there all the time.
Thanks for the memories.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:11 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox17 View Post
02134? Sing it to this day.
I was a little too young for the show (3 went the first version went off the air), but when I lived in Allston later on my older cousin used to sing 0-21-34 every time he saw me. Then he'd ask me if I played hopskotch on vomit stains on the sidewalk. I don't think he liked the neighborhood.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:18 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,909,334 times
Regarding several of the topics discussed in the last few posts:

I have to admit I don't recall anything about Andrew eating cookies.

On the other hand, yes MaggieKate, I recall the mention of the fourth day of the week when related to Anthony. At least according to the old commercial, "In the North End of Boston, Wednesday is Prince spaghetti day."

And about those Sox, it might be difficult for those not from this area to appreciate the truth of number one on the list in the original post. Here's a bit of trivia that shows something of the impact the Sox have on the lives of people here: The link below shows a list of the largest peaceful gatherings in the history of the world. You have to get down the list a little way--number ten I think--to get to the largest peaceful gathering in the U.S. Most people ever for a peaceful gathering in the U.S.? At the Sox victory parade after the World Series in '04.

List of largest peaceful gatherings in history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-23-2009, 10:14 PM

37 posts, read 97,988 times
I think its pretty sad that some people were fighting about this list. Its not a sterotype if its true and accepted by the person your saying it about. Bostonians are not that sensative especially the Irish ones. Besides we'll give as good as we get.

If you are not familiar with at least half of that list and say you lived here then you spent most of your time here brain dead or hiding in your house.

And if you were born and raised here you should be ashamed of yourself if you don't know just about all of them, even the older stuff. You need to get out more. LOL

Old 10-23-2009, 10:56 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox17 View Post
As someone who hasn't lived in the Boston area for more than 30 years, this made me laugh and brought back a lot of great memories. 02134? Sing it to this day. Deeply miss scorpian bowls. Zayres? Used to shop there all the time.
Thanks for the memories.
I have NO idea what the 02134 song is. 'Course, I wasn't allowed to watch much TV growing up.

I had no idea scorpian bowls were a Boston thing! I'm not sure HOW I didn't know that since I have not been able to find one in the 9 years since I've been away. Actually, I did get one at this Chinese restaurant in LA, but it came in a big goblet... not in the thing with the fire in the middle. And it was for one person! I was pissed.

I'm all excited to move to Boston because I need a new couch, and I assured my husband we would only get it at Dean's Home Furnichah (wheah you get the headboahd, the dressah, AND the mirrah), Jahdin's Furnichah, or Bernie & Phil's (Comfort, quality, & price! That's nice.)

I'm also excited to take him to the Museum of Science (where it's fun to find out!)

Old 10-24-2009, 08:10 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daley7264 View Post
If you are not familiar with at least half of that list and say you lived here then you spent most of your time here brain dead or hiding in your house.

And if you were born and raised here you should be ashamed of yourself if you don't know just about all of them, even the older stuff. You need to get out more. LOL
I do think a lot of stuff relates to a particular local experience that not every resident or group of residents has had.

I found myself familiar with pretty much everything, but I don't know how "getting out more" is going to make someone familiar with an amusement park or TV show that ceased to exist before they were born. Should they "get out" to the BPL or the Mass. Historical Society? Just playin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston