Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 04:11 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveV View Post
yes,
we would love to drive jerry crazy when he was of wmex, and visit the station
after the Red Sox game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 10:57 AM

72 posts, read 133,295 times
Quote:
TODAY'S POP QUIZ:
What three words are intoned before every race at Wonderland?
(Quick, E - what are they? )
There goes Swifty...

(Hat Tip - My Grammy on the Blue Line)

Old 02-26-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maeday View Post
There goes Swifty...

(Hat Tip - My Grammy on the Blue Line)
Good Job! I never got to go there! I did want to, but was not allowed, I wanted to see the dogs!

Old 03-30-2009, 11:18 AM

5 posts, read 11,444 times
Default Your posts are therefore meaningless

Seriously,

How can you grow up in Boston and not know what a packie is or who Dwight Evans is? What have you been doing all of your life? You've never been to the Cape? Please!!! Granted, this list is definitely for 40 somethings that grew up in the neighborhoods, not for college kids and snobs who think that Newbury St. and Beacon Hill are the real Boston. If you're interested in pretentious Boston, then this thread isn't for you. But if you want to get a feel for the real Boston, the one that people actually live in and raise families in, then read on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
well, they may be true for you, but the vast majority ring false w/ me and I'm a born and raised Bostonian. that list seems to be geared towards older Bostonians, and Bostonians from certain ethnic/economic classes.

I'm no less of a Bostonian just b/c I have no clue what a Packie or scorpion bowl is, have NO clue who Dewey Evans, Frank Averuch, or Major Mudd are, have never been to Paragon Park, Carrabba's or the Cape, and don't own a "Yankees Suck" shirt or have my life revolve around sports. and there are plenty of real Bostonians to whom most that list wouldn't apply

Old 03-31-2009, 08:37 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde Park Kid View Post
Seriously,

How can you grow up in Boston and not know what a packie is or who Dwight Evans is? What have you been doing all of your life? You've never been to the Cape? Please!!! Granted, this list is definitely for 40 somethings that grew up in the neighborhoods, not for college kids and snobs who think that Newbury St. and Beacon Hill are the real Boston. If you're interested in pretentious Boston, then this thread isn't for you. But if you want to get a feel for the real Boston, the one that people actually live in and raise families in, then read on.
It says right in the thread that Eevee grew up in Roxbury and lived in Dorchester and Mattapan. Personally, I related to many things on the list (I'm 33, big Sox fan, and Irish, so I know what a packie is). Other stuff was for an older crowd or for people who are in to different things from what I knew as a kid. But to suggest that either (1) you identify with this entire list or (2) you're a "college kid," a "pretentious Boston" lover, or a "snob who thinks that Newbury St. and Beacon Hill are the real Boston" is uncalled for. There are a bunch of "real Boston" experiences and you can't say Eevee somehow didn't grow up here because she didn't have a poster of Dewey Evans on the wall in 1985 like I did.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:53 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
It says right in the thread that Eevee grew up in Roxbury and lived in Dorchester and Mattapan. Personally, I related to many things on the list (I'm 33, big Sox fan, and Irish, so I know what a packie is). Other stuff was for an older crowd or for people who are in to different things from what I knew as a kid. But to suggest that either (1) you identify with this entire list or (2) you're a "college kid," a "pretentious Boston" lover, or a "snob who thinks that Newbury St. and Beacon Hill are the real Boston" is uncalled for. There are a bunch of "real Boston" experiences and you can't say Eevee somehow didn't grow up here because she didn't have a poster of Dewey Evans on the wall in 1985 like I did.
Thank you. I am 20 so there is a lot of outdated stuff on the list I can't identify with.

Knowledge of the packy is something I can definitely identify with however. I go to school in Canada and still can't help suggesting we "make a packy run" even though nobody understands it.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
101 WAYS YOU KNOW YOU'RE FROM BOSTON

1. The Red Sox World Series win was, and will always be, one of the greatest moments in your life.
2. The guy driving in front of you is going 70 mph and you're swearing at him for going too slow.
3. When ordering a tonic, you mean a Coke.
4. You went to Canobie Lake Park or Water Country as a kid
5. You actually enjoy driving around rotaries.
6. You do not recognize the letter"R" as a part of the English language.
7. Your social security number starts with a 0
8. You can actually find your way around Boston.
9. You know what a "regular" coffee is.
10. You keep an ice scraper in your car year-round.
11. You can tell the difference between a Revere accent and a Dorchester accent.
12. Springfield is located "way out west."
13. You almost feel disappointed if someone doesn't f lip you the bird when you cut them off or steal their parking space.
14. You know how to pronounce the names of towns like Worcester, Billerica, Gloucester, and Haverhill.
15. Anyone you don't know is a potential idiot until proven otherwise.
16. Paranoia sets in if you can't see a Dunkin Donuts or CVS within eyeshot at all times.
17. You know what "cold tea" in Chinatown is (or sadly, was)
18. You know how to pronounce Yastrzemski.
19. You know there's a trophy at the end of the Bean Pot.
20. You order iced coffee in January
21. You know that the Purple Line will take you anywhere
22. You love scorpion bowls.
23. You know what they sell at a Packie.
24. Sorry Manny, but number 24 means DEWEY EVANS.
25. You know what First Night is.
26. You know at least one guy named Sean, Pat, Whitey, Red, Bud or Seamus.
27. McLobster? McCrap!
28. You know at least 2 cops in your town because they were your high school drinking buddies.
29. Sure there are 6 New England states, but Connecticut really doesn't count.
30. You intentionally give wrong directions to tourists, feel bad when they drive off, but then say to yourself,"Ah, screw them."
31. You know at least one bar where you can get something to drink after last call.
32. You've been to Paragon Park
33. You know holding onto the railing when riding the Green Line is not optional
34. The numbers '78 and '86 make you cringe.
35. You've been to Goodtimes before
36. You think the rest of the country owes you for Thanksgiving and Independence Day. (...and they DO).
37. You have never been to "Cheers."
38. The words 'WICKED' and 'GOOD' go together.
39. You've been to Fenway Park several times.
40. You've crossed the Sagamore Bridge or the Bourne Bridge with a hangover on a Monday morning.
41. You own a "Yankees Suck" shirt or hat.
42. You know what a Frappe is.
43. Actors who don't get the Boston accent right are wicked annoying.
44. You know who Frank Averuch is.
45. ADVANCED: You know Frank Averuch was once Bozo the Clown
46. You can complete the following: "Lynn, Lynn..."
47. You get ****ed off when a restaurant serves clam chowder, and it turns out to be friggin' Snows.
48. You actually know how to merge from six lanes of traffic down to one.
49. The TV weatherman is damn good if he's right 25% of the time.
50. You never go to "Cape Cod," you go "down the Cape".
51. You think that Roger Clemens and Johnny Damon are more evil than Whitey Bulger.
52. You know who Whitey Bulger is.
53. You went to the Swan Boats, House of Seven Gables, or Plymouth Plantation on a field trip in elementary school
54. Bobby Orr is loved as much as Larry Bird, Tom Brady, and Ted Williams.
55. You remember Major Mudd.
56. You know what candlepin bowling is
57. You can drive to the mountains and the ocean all in one day
58. You know Scollay Square once stood where Government Center is.
59. When you were a kid, Rex Trailer was the coolest guy around. Speaking of which...
60. You can still hum the song from the end of Boom Town
61. Calling Carrabba's an "Italian" restaurant is sacrilege
62. You still have your old Flexible Flyer somewhere in your parents' attic.
63. You know that the Mass Pike is some sort of strange weather dividing line.
64. The only time you've been on the Freedom Trail is when relatives are in town.
65. The Big Dig tunnel disaster wasn't really that much of a surprise.
66. You call guys you've just met "Chief" or "Boss."
67. 4:15pm and pitch black out means there's just 3 more shopping days until Christmas
68. You know more than one person with the last name Murphy.
69. You refer to Savin Hill as "Stab 'n Kill."
70. You've never eaten at Durgin Park, but recommend it to tourists.
71. You can't look at the zip code 02134 without singing it.
72. You voted for a Republican Mormon as Governor just to screw with the rest of the country.
73. 11pm? Drunk? It means one thing: Kowloon!
74. 2am? Drunk? It means one thing: Kelly's Roast Beef!
75. 5am? Drunk? It means one thing: You wish you had a blanket in your back seat
76. You know that P-Town isn't the name of a new rap group.
77. People you don't like are all "Bastids."
78. You took school or work off for the Patriots first Super Bowl Win Parade
79. You've called something "wicked ****a."
80. You'll always get razzed for Dukakis.
81. Saturday afternoons meant Creature Double Feature with Dale Dorman
82. Sunday mornings meant the Three Stooges on Channel 38
83. You've slammed on your brakes to deter a tailgater
84. No, you don't trust the Gorton's Fisherman.
85. You know that Papa Gino's usually has a jukebox
86. You think Aerosmith is the greatest rock band of all time.
87. Your town has at least 6 sub shops, and none of them are a Subway.
88. You know at least three Tony's, one Vinnie and a Frankie.
89. 20 degrees isn't that bad as long as there's no wind.
90. You were very sad when saying goodbye to the Boston Garden
91. Thanksgiving means family, turkey, High School football, and the long version of Alice's Restaurant.
92. You know the guy who founded the Boston Pops was Athah Feedlah.
93. You know what the Combat Zone is
94. You drive 45 minutes to New Hampshire to save $5 in sales tax
95. You've pulled out of a side street and used your car to block oncoming traffic so you can make a left.
96. You've bragged about the money you've saved at The Christmas Tree Shop
97. You've been to Hampton Beach on a Saturday night
98. Playing street hockey was a daily ritual.
99. Hearing an old lady shout "Numbah 96 for Sioux City!" means it's time for steak.
100. You remember Jordan Marsh, Grants, Bradlees, Caldor,Zayres, or Ann& Hope.
101. You actually get these jokes and pass them on to other friends from Massachusetts
well ok what about and some park noraumbega? Grants, I worked there in H.S. and Joseph Gann ? The Enchanted Village, at Jordan Marsh, the Clock, at the T where we all would meet! Also that ice cream place, so famous in Boston! Red Rover we did play, and Red Light! and sell papers to go to fenway, and Go Boston! Yes,Manny is gone, so is Damon, however, Boston is
and has fans in the nation? Boston also has a Cardinal, Cushing, who loved the Red Sox, and, was an OK person! OK Boston once more a World Series!

Last edited by maggiekate; 04-01-2009 at 12:36 AM..

Old 04-19-2009, 06:08 PM

579 posts, read 522,263 times
I can't believe that no mentioned Prince Spaghetti Day. ANTHONY!!!!!!

Old 04-21-2009, 09:28 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post
I can't believe that no mentioned Prince Spaghetti Day. ANTHONY!!!!!!
That's funny, I passed by the pseudo-Pizzeria Regina in the Auburn Mall today and they had a North End board game or something in a display case. ANTHONY!!!! she's yelling out the window.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:18 AM

10,021 posts, read 15,665,421 times

YouTube - 9598_prince_spaghetti
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston