Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 08:13 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I have NO idea what the 02134 song is. 'Course, I wasn't allowed to watch much TV growing up.
Not even "educational" TV on WGBH, I guess.

Here it is. The relevant part is about 40 seconds in.

YouTube - Zoom season 1 end credits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 08:18 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
I have to admit I don't recall anything about Andrew eating cookies.
I only know about that because a teacher used to use it to tease a kid in my school named Andrew.

It was a commercial for a carpet cleaner or a rug store, and they used the cookie thing to help people remember their old-school phone number.

How many cookies did Andrew eat?
ANdrew 8-8000 ("ate 8000").

He said they still had (as of the late 80's) the same phone number. AN8-8000 is, according to my phone, 268-8000.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:13 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
Not even "educational" TV on WGBH, I guess.

Here it is. The relevant part is about 40 seconds in.

YouTube - Zoom season 1 end credits

HAH! It's Zoom! I LOVED that show when I was little. I had a "Zoom" dress. Don't remember much about it, though, other than "We gotta Zoom Zoom Zoom" and the outfits.

It wasn't until I was much older that I found out that was a Boston thing too. I assumed it was like Sesame Street or something.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:58 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I just read this, and it made me tear up. I'm moving back to Boston (where I was born & raised) after being away for 9 years. Some of it made me laugh out loud. My dad's last name is, of course, Murphy. Heck, I got married at Plimoth Plantation! (they do weddings there, and it was really nice). Some of it, like the sports stuff, I didn't care about. Some I don't remember at all... or just vaguely. Most of it, though, brought back memories. Some of them horrifying, hee hee.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to moving back. God, I'll have to get an ice scraper to put in my car year round! Horrifying, heh.
Not to worry the magic of Boston is in the heart of the why!

Old 10-25-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
Anyway Andrew ate the cookies, and why and how many! Yes Jerry and Grace! and I am getting out! Also in winter what was the farovtie
of every child who did want a day off from school from snow! There is only one correct answer for the happy snow person! He always loved weather and Snow, and more Snow! A day off for us!
Andrew ate 8000 cookies for the New England phone book number!
Every dream of a no home work and day off of school wasw Don Kent!
He lived snow, and which station was WBZ! Every other station no snow!
Yes, he was so correct and in the snow blizzard we got a week off!

Old 10-25-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffgo View Post
I can't believe no one has mentioned, "spuckies". I believed this usage to be long gone, but I actually saw a sign advertising them a few weeks ago. Would anyone care to venture a guess?
from Boston in the fiftys we called them subs! spuckies had the word?

Old 10-25-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox17 View Post
As someone who hasn't lived in the Boston area for more than 30 years, this made me laugh and brought back a lot of great memories. 02134? Sing it to this day. Deeply miss scorpian bowls. Zayres? Used to shop there all the time.
Thanks for the memories.
I just love the Charlie on the T and never to return for the fair
Boston!

Old 10-25-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Regarding several of the topics discussed in the last few posts:

I have to admit I don't recall anything about Andrew eating cookies.

On the other hand, yes MaggieKate, I recall the mention of the fourth day of the week when related to Anthony. At least according to the old commercial, "In the North End of Boston, Wednesday is Prince spaghetti day."

And about those Sox, it might be difficult for those not from this area to appreciate the truth of number one on the list in the original post. Here's a bit of trivia that shows something of the impact the Sox have on the lives of people here: The link below shows a list of the largest peaceful gatherings in the history of the world. You have to get down the list a little way--number ten I think--to get to the largest peaceful gathering in the U.S. Most people ever for a peaceful gathering in the U.S.? At the Sox victory parade after the World Series in '04.

List of largest peaceful gatherings in history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
it was a commercial for a carpet cleaner in South Boston and the jsongl was how may cookies did Andrew eat, Andrew ate 8000.
that was the telephone number to call. Yikes the Cape Cod with seafood,now closed! However Boston gets into most who were a visitor, or native!
and all who claim the city of Boston! The list is just what funny, real but Boston! Yes, the dream of Red Sox Nation only that dream which came true.

Last edited by maggiekate; 10-25-2009 at 11:06 PM..

Old 10-26-2009, 03:17 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
A couple more. I don't think these have been done. Apologies if they have, but I'm not inclined to go back through every post to check.

1) These you could know from interest in the activity involved, but you'll also most likely know them if you're from Boston:

You know what puts the town of Hopkinton on the map.
You have watched, or maybe even participated in, the event that puts Hopkinton on the map.
You not only know who Johnny Kelley was, but understand why he is a revered, legendary figure.

2) Not only do you know the history of The Smoot, but you understand that it would have been blasphemy not to have preserved the smoot markings when the Mass. Ave. bridge was refurbished during the '80's.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:09 PM

161 posts, read 696,917 times
great list didnt know a few but im only 29 so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston