Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 07:32 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
hoffdano won't argue that California is an attractive place for all the reasons you suggest. I have been to most of those places. Get real about California weather. It is sensational in many places. But 70 degrees year round? Not in San Francisco. Not in LA. Not in Sacramento. Certainly not in many of the areas people can afford to buy a house.
Suggest you review climate data before assuming otherwise:

Monthly Averages for Los Angeles, CA - weather.com
Monthly Averages for Montebello, CA - weather.com

Metro Los Angeles averages between the mid 60-low 70's during the winter months yet is much further north than Houston & San Antonio and at the same latitude as Dallas yet nearly 20 degrees warmer during winter than Dallas and much milder during summer. Texas climate compared to California climate is like comparing an ugly frog with a beautiful princess. Texas is hot and humid during summer and so cold during winter that it freezes over and kills everything but the most hardy vegetation while California harvests tomatoes and oranges all year long. That is why California feeds the nation and Texas is mainly cows and oil wells. Truly the differences between the beauty and the beast.

Quote:
hoffdano I think California's open-minded-ness is overstated. A great example is San Francisco. It is no more open-minded than Atlanta (or Houston). They are no more tolerant of other views than almost any other large metro. Texas per se isn't closed minded. You guys think it is. Texas has a strong culture that binds people more strongly than in many other areas. But that doesn't mean they won't listen to new ideas. Is Texas as welcoming as California to people "no matter who they are?" Probably not. But Texas is not like the south governed by Jesse Helms.
You are such a Texas homer who frequents the California forum only to boast about a state people in California consider a laugh, literally. Just watch TV shows like Bill Maher, Jay Leno, Chelsea Handley and New York shows like Jon Stewart, David Letterman and Stephen Colbert. Jokes about how crude and ignorant Texas is regular fare. Face it, Texas is a Republican state personified with hicks for governors and Bible-belt idiots running the legislator. What progressive thing has ever come out of Texas? Nothing!

You always post on the California forum when nobody from California ever is a tiny bit interested in Texas to bother with your state's forum and that should turn a light on in your brain but evidently you are as dense as the rest of your fellow Texans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 08:31 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
Who wouldnt want to live where you can have the beaches, mountains, forrests, and deserts close by while having 70 degree weather year round?
Obviously we wouldn't which is why we moved from two-season Sacramento -- hot/hotter/hottest and cold and wet -- to four season Ozarks on the shore of a lake with an 800 mile shoreline, gorgeous scenery, 700+ caves and caverns and thousands of natural springs, some of which gush millions of gallons of fresh water every day. Our community owns its own wells which tap springs and we pay $10 a month for water. We also enjoy low taxes, a much lower overall cost of living and housing and very few rules and regulations. We Ozarkers value our freedoms and figure we're just smart enough not to need nanny government running/ruining our lives. We're an independent buncha cusses, dontcha know.

Oh yeah! We're both native Californians and both of us have lived in Texas, thanks to the military, which neither of us enjoyed too pretty much. But places like Austin and New Braunfels are lovely as is much of eastern Texas, the summer heat and humidity notwithstanding.

Back to California, neither of us cares for the desert so there goes half the state right off the bat!

Old 11-18-2010, 08:39 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
...and Bible-belt idiots running the legislator.

...that should turn a light on in your brain but evidently you are as dense as the rest of your fellow Texans.
The California Legislature is the most overpaid, under producing and ridiculously partisan, impotent legislature in the country and a national laughing stock so I'd be careful about talking down about anyone else's.

As for the rest of the quote, if the remainder of the country used you as an example they'd have no choice but to conclude that Californians are rude, ill-bred boors! Get your progressive, enlightened, liberal butt out of attack mode.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:14 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,316 times
Isn't getting a politician to be half truthful an improvement?

Old 11-18-2010, 11:19 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,170,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
When prices come down people will move to CA in droves? I have my doubts. People have to earn a living. Cheaper housing makes that easier, but they need jobs. I'll remind you that more Americans leave California than move in and it has been happening for twenty years.
It has been proved over and over again that California's population continues to grow. You Texans really are close minded sheesh!

Old 11-18-2010, 11:25 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,445,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Can anyone imagine having to move to Texas because of a job? How many people say, "hell no" to the idea of moving to redneck Bibleland. I'm sure most would rather be unemployed than move to a state like Texass!

Look who sounds like a redneck

The so called "rednecks" would go out of their way to help people in need and spread kindness. The so called "rednecks" would laugh at your redneck mentality!

Do you seriously think that there are not super rednecks in California? Better look around and in the mirror!

Do you seriously think that all Texans are rednecks are bible thumpers?

You have not a clue what you are talking about

Last edited by TVC15; 11-19-2010 at 12:15 AM..

Old 11-18-2010, 11:27 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
...Get your progressive, enlightened, liberal butt out of attack mode.
Don't bother. The majority of these "over the top" posters are just young kids...eh I mean adults who are just parroting what they were taught growing up or naive enough to think they actually know anything about life. You're wasting your time arguing with someone who is still a student.

Not saying there aren't right or left extremists who are old, just saying that the majority of the ones who are always making "over the top", nonsensical statements tend to be kids (young adults) still drawing an allowance....quite literally.

I think I figured out how to solve world hunger at that age. I was really close to figuring out this whole world peace thing before something strange happened to me... I got older and realized I didn't know half of what I thought I knew.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:56 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The California Legislature is the most overpaid, under producing and ridiculously partisan, impotent legislature in the country and a national laughing stock so I'd be careful about talking down about anyone else's.

As for the rest of the quote, if the remainder of the country used you as an example they'd have no choice but to conclude that Californians are rude, ill-bred boors! Get your progressive, enlightened, liberal butt out of attack mode.

I am sympathizing with you. Yes it really is a waste of time to have to listen to the extremists on this forum. If I had to spew so much hatred over a State that has no effect on me...especially if I don't even live there and constantly have to blurt out my extremist view points and generalizations...I would be worried about my mind not the state I am attacking. What negative sick pollution they contribute for the sake of no one benefiting from their dark extremist views.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
I was baptized as a catholic when I was little, now I have stopped going to church because I realized the bible is a bunch of hypocritical bigotry.

I am not in favor of following such a hateful cult and their beliefs in some magical guy in the sky who supposedly never judges but hates gays and sinners etc
You follow your own self-created cult of hate and bigotry. Are you even aware of what you sound like? Do you hear yourself and feel proud of the hate and generalizations that you constantly shout on this forum. You sound like a hate cult extremist.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:08 AM

CarawayDJ,

Yes this one freaked out when I mentioned fossils! It was pretty crazy!

Get with the program footballfreak...this post was not about you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California