Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 07:54 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Just watch TV shows like Bill Maher, Jay Leno, Chelsea Handley and New York shows like Jon Stewart, David Letterman and Stephen Colbert. Jokes about how crude and ignorant Texas is regular fare. Face it, Texas is a Republican state personified with hicks for governors and Bible-belt idiots running the legislator. What progressive thing has ever come out of Texas? Nothing!
So do you think TV shows are the official word on everything? Perhaps that is part of your problem. You think Hollywood actually knows something important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 07:56 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Y'all realize how far away you've gone from the original posting in this thread???

Old 11-19-2010, 08:06 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
Don't bother. The majority of these "over the top" posters are just young kids...eh I mean adults who are just parroting what they were taught growing up or naive enough to think they actually know anything about life. You're wasting your time arguing with someone who is still a student.

Not saying there aren't right or left extremists who are old, just saying that the majority of the ones who are always making "over the top", nonsensical statements tend to be kids (young adults) still drawing an allowance....quite literally.

I think I figured out how to solve world hunger at that age. I was really close to figuring out this whole world peace thing before something strange happened to me... I got older and realized I didn't know half of what I thought I knew.
Well, if we were enlightened enough to eat our young they wouldn't be blathering hatred and no one would go hungry!

As to the matter at hand, having been stationed in Texas twice I obviously chose not to live there in retirement, no state income tax notwithstanding, and I can joke about it with the best of them. But hate it? Why? It doesn't affect me and living there is an individual choice and decision.

I've no doubt Texas is attracting some CA industries, just as Washington state, Washington, D.C./Virginia, Tennessee, Colorado, Nevada and other states are. Many make them far more attractive for businesses to operate than CA does and CA has only itself to blame if even just one major industry folds its tent and goes elsewhere -- something the Legislature seems oblivious to.

When I worked in California's political/legislative arena I can't tell you how many bills I opposed because they were overly prescriptive and costly to private industry, and that was just in the health and human services sector. It was far worse in manufacturing and other venues. The same went for regulations.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 11-19-2010 at 08:16 AM..

Old 11-19-2010, 09:04 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Sure it is growing. But the population is growing from babies being born there and through immigration. The net flow of domestic population is NEGATIVE, and has been for at least twenty years. The Census data shows it.

https://secure.recenter.tamu.edu/data/pop/pops/st06.asp
But that has not stopped the economy from booming in the last 20 years.

California has the highest % of foreign born residents, approximately 10 Million, more than NY and TX combined, San Jose, Los Angeles and San Francisco are 3 of the Top 5 Large Metros as far as % of residents who are foreign born-Miami being 1st and NY being 5th.

Foreign Born residents and their US-Born Children account for appox. 60% of LA and 50% of the Bay Area.

Its as if all the people who left actually did us a favor by leaving so we could accomodate their replacements.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:54 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
So do you think TV shows are the official word on everything? Perhaps that is part of your problem. You think Hollywood actually knows something important.
It is very foolish to underestimate the influence television and the Internet play in shaping opinions. To think that Hollywood doesn't play a big role in changing and solidifying thinking is as backwards as Texas is in general. People my age never read newspapers and get the "news" on the Comedy Channel, HBO and the Web. There are no shows broadcast from Texas to present the conservative mindset; Fox News is the only voice that comes close and it is centered in New York. Texas is portrayed mostly negative whether it is accurate or not.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:15 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
There are no shows broadcast from Texas to present the conservative mindset
Oh yeah?

John Hagee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Joel Osteen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

et al...

Old 11-19-2010, 10:38 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
hmm interesting, TALK ABOUT A NANNY STATE!

http://static.texastribune.org/media...Y_PLATFORM.pdf

Texas GOP to ban homosexuality and poronography

Old 11-19-2010, 10:45 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
hmm interesting, TALK ABOUT A NANNY STATE!

http://static.texastribune.org/media...Y_PLATFORM.pdf

Texas GOP to ban homosexuality and poronography
Yes, people can be so selective in their outrage. LOL

Old 11-19-2010, 10:49 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Holy crap, two mentions of God in the first few seconds of reading that. I'm finished.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:51 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,550,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Come on man, why the over the top rhetoric?.....
Because he's still a student. Most of the over-the-top folks here are still in their teens and barely of drinking age. Let em age a bit... Maturity can only come with age and real life experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California