Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 01:21 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
A lot of people do hunt. I assume you are talking mostly about handguns? I recognize that hunting in SoCal is practically nonexistent. In other parts of the US, even NorCal, it's quite popular.
But why hunt? Weren't animals domesticated so we wouldn't have to hunt? Hunting for sport is a waste. Human sport hunters go after the prize trophies. In other words the strongest in the populations which leaves the weaker ones. exactly the opposite of what natural predators (which have largely been eradicated) would do. People with guns serve no real purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 01:22 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,451,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
You're jumping to conclusions. I didn't call Ca. civilized. America as a whole is civilized. Does that mean we don't have problems? Please, let's not be so naive. However the fact that we're not perfect is exactly the reason for gun control. We're civilized because we are able to sustain ourselves in large population centers and not have to hunt and gather our food nor fight off those who have us on their menu.

Tell me, what do guns do for us in this day? Just what exactly do we need them for unless we're in the wilderness which most of us are not?
I'll be glad to tell you...Guns in the wilderness are worse. Let's kill innocent animals for hunting pleasure...even though we don't really need to do that to survive.

A gun for me is protection against the uncivilized or unsuspecting villain who is about to wreak havoc on my world...it happens everyday and if you are not prepared wo be it on you!

Now back to your first assumption:

Hold on now...I only responed to what you said.
Do you recall stating this?
ANY civilized place. It doesn't matter which one
Who is being naive?

Old 11-19-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
[/i]
A gun for me is protection against the uncivilized or unsuspecting villain who is about to wreak havoc on my world...it happens everyday and if you are not prepared wo be it on you!
But if there were no guns to begin with, the criminals would have a harder time. They have guns because you have guns.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:29 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,451,680 times
Quote:
But if there were no guns to begin with, the criminals would have a harder time. They have guns because you have guns.

But but but does not matter any longer. Why because anyone can get a gun if they want it bad enough even in gun contol land. Shoud of would of could does not apply any longer...it's toooooo late. Nice thought though! Wake up and get with the times!

Reality is not there and will never be...and if you think gun control will get it there...then think again. You will never see the end of guns in human hands NEVER! Until we vanish from this earth as a race!

Old 11-19-2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:

But but but does not matter any longer. Why because anyone can get a gun if they want it bad enough even in gun contol land. Shoud of would of could does not apply any longer...it's toooooo late. Nice thought though! Wake up and get with the times!

Reality is not there and will never be...and if you think gun control will get it there...then think again. You will never see the end of guns in human hands NEVER! Until we vanish from this earth as a race!
You seem very sure of yourself.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:21 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,553,763 times
Quote:
But why hunt? Weren't animals domesticated so we wouldn't have to hunt? Hunting for sport is a waste. Human sport hunters go after the prize trophies. In other words the strongest in the populations which leaves the weaker ones. exactly the opposite of what natural predators (which have largely been eradicated) would do. People with guns serve no real purpose.
I respect the beliefs of those who are against hunting. I don't agree with them, but I respect them. Well, actually I am against trophy hunting. Much of my family hunts, but all of us eat what we kill. We've all become so disassociated from our food sources that many never realize that hunting for food is often a more humane way for getting meat on your plate than what goes on in those corporate farms and slaughter houses. That's a whole other discussion though.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:35 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,394,952 times
Quote:
Well said Texan friend! I have never seen as many non-tolerant closed minded people in my life except those few Texas haters on this forum. Very very narrow and shallow minded to the point of extremism. Pretty scary minds in people like that!
The only Californians who praise Texas are ex-Texans living in California or Republicans who hate California because they don't fit in. See, you can't have it both ways. A person falls in love with California and wants what is best for probably the most treasured state in the nation as far as natural beauty and boundiful harvests of food. But in order to keep California the beautiful gem that it is requires sacrifice and for most Californians that is fine. So we have the most restrictions on polluters in industry and automobiles; that means some companies would rather make more money in a state where there are not limitations on air quality and safeguards for employees. Naturally those companies are only interested in self profit and resent having to be stewards of the environment. So a state like Texas calls them to come to the South where pollution is ignored and employees are not allowed to have unions or protections. The difference in values is quite pronounced and Republicans prefer a place where they don't have to contribute to the betterment of the community because that means having to give something out of their own pocket. And who really cares anyway in a state like Texas where natural beauty is scarce and Bibleland hypocrites are more focused on the real important things like seeing what gay people do in bed. Did you know that the Texas governor and state Republicans are trying to repeal federal law allowing gay sex?

Sorry but Texas is crude and ignorant and if that kind of language offends you then perhaps you should post in the fashion and food forums of C-D

Old 11-19-2010, 07:06 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,177,989 times

Old 11-19-2010, 07:10 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
The only Californians who praise Texas are ex-Texans living in California or Republicans who hate California because they don't fit in. See, you can't have it both ways. A person falls in love with California and wants what is best for probably the most treasured state in the nation as far as natural beauty and boundiful harvests of food. But in order to keep California the beautiful gem that it is requires sacrifice and for most Californians that is fine. So we have the most restrictions on polluters in industry and automobiles; that means some companies would rather make more money in a state where there are not limitations on air quality and safeguards for employees. Naturally those companies are only interested in self profit and resent having to be stewards of the environment. So a state like Texas calls them to come to the South where pollution is ignored and employees are not allowed to have unions or protections. The difference in values is quite pronounced and Republicans prefer a place where they don't have to contribute to the betterment of the community because that means having to give something out of their own pocket. And who really cares anyway in a state like Texas where natural beauty is scarce and Bibleland hypocrites are more focused on the real important things like seeing what gay people do in bed. Did you know that the Texas governor and state Republicans are trying to repeal federal law allowing gay sex?

Sorry but Texas is crude and ignorant and if that kind of language offends you then perhaps you should post in the fashion and food forums of C-D
Come on man, why the over the top rhetoric?

As for the Unions, I know several people who are members. In fact there are 957 Labor Unions active in Texas. I dont know where you got the idea that Texas doesnt allow them.

TEXAS State Unions - Unions.org

Polution standards are more strict in California not just because they want to be, but because they have to be. I remember LA back in the 80's before they really started cracking down, it was like Mexico City or Beijing for air quality. Nowhere in Texas really has a geography that traps air in a basin like Southern California does.

Texas is more pro big business. The same reason that Perry doesnt want to control the border is the same reason he doesnt want environmental standards. He doesnt want anything to stand in the way of large companies getting rich.

As for the state Republicans, they are embarrassing, but they will never accomplish getting sodomy outlawed for two reasons. The first is that the boys in DC would intervine. The 2nd is that I firmly believe that if it came up to a vote, Texas would vote that down. Most Texans belive gays have the right to be together, just not the right to marry.

As an ex-Californian living in Texas, I dont feel the way you do. I have yet to have any problems living here. Nobody has ever asked me about religion or politics, my wife and I (who are interracial) have never been stared at or put down, and I have outspoken liberal views for which I have never been ridiculed. Its probably because I live in a large city, but I have no interest in visiting small town Texas, so I think Ill be fine.

And before you accuse me of anything, read the scathing review I gave a Texas homer in this thread (post #28):

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...sks-can-3.html

I am tired of the extremism on both sides. It seems like on CD, views are exaggerated. We should look at facts logically instead of emotionally.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:48 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
It has been proved over and over again that California's population continues to grow. You Texans really are close minded sheesh!
Sure it is growing. But the population is growing from babies being born there and through immigration. The net flow of domestic population is NEGATIVE, and has been for at least twenty years. The Census data shows it.

https://secure.recenter.tamu.edu/data/pop/pops/st06.asp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California