Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2012, 11:32 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,452,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
TVC15, I am not out to humiliate you. You have simply made some statements about the poor and uneducated in this thread that come across -- blatantly -- sounding elitist. When I said so you ceased to read with discrimination and thoughtful analysis, and apply logical consideration to the points I make. You appear exceedingly upset and defensive ... but you are the one painting yourself into that corner. And your ally and friend ytg has similarly jumped to his own defensive assumptions.
If find it interesting that only you have pointed the "you’re a blatant elitist finger at me". And for what?
Because I believe that if you want to make something of your life then work for it and not expect free handouts? You act as though there is something wrong with that.

I have not painted myself into any corner. I stand by everything I said. And in no way does that make me an elitist.

You have no clue what I am about and pointing the finger and calling me a pompous elitist is just ridiculous.

BTW I think it is GREAT that CA is now seeking to push more welfare receipents to work! Its a step in the right direction for everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 11:35 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,452,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Also intriguing how some supposedly well educated, high earning individuals can be so infantile ...
And you are the innocent one with this regard?

Yes it is intriguing.

Anway I'm done with this thread there are too many other upbeat and postive threads to venture into.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:55 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,903,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Look how many births are being paid with Medicaid. That will show you where much of the problem lies.

If you can't feed a child, you have really no business having a child. Yet -- more children than ever are being born to women who cannot feed them without food stamps, WIC and the rest. Childhood poverty is growing and the only real reason for that is the irresponsible behavior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
BTW I think it is GREAT that CA is now seeking to push more welfare receipents to work! Its a step in the right direction for everyone!
So many misconceptions -- so little time ... where to start?

• we have had a national cash welfare system, known as TANF, since 1996, where the parents are forced to work -- within a time-limited frame of 60 months maximum, but which is amended to as low as 24 months in some states ... TANF is the federal replacement for AFDC

Here is a summary of the kinds of families served:
"Cash Welfare Caseload. In December 2010, the number of families receiving TANF cash welfare was 1.9 million families, consisting of 4.7 million recipients, of which 3.5 million were children. The cash welfare caseload is very heterogeneous. The type of family historically thought of as the “typical” cash welfare family—one with an unemployed adult recipient—accounted for less than half of all families on the rolls in FY2008. Additionally, 15% of cash welfare families had an employed adult, while almost half of all families had no adult recipient. Child-only families include those with disabled adults receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI), adults who are nonparents (e.g., grandparents, aunts, uncles) caring for children, and families consisting of citizen children and ineligible noncitizen parents."

• most welfare now goes to children (by far) and not to adults

• the majority of welfare families, including families with single mothers, include at least one working parent ... in other words: welfare support is going to mostly families that simply can't rise to federal poverty levels even when a parent is employed ...

• there have been studies made that conclude that welfare does NOT encourage increased family size ... that is: people are not making babies to collect welfare ... especially since welfare doesn't cover usually but less than 1/3 poverty level income and only lasts for the adults for two - five years ... although it lasts longer for the kids (as it should, they can't work)

• the number of families receiving welfare nationally rose from about 1 million in 1960 to a peak of 5.1 million in March of 1994, and then fell steadily to a low of 1.7 million in July of 2008. In the current economic crisis, it rose slightly again from 2008 to 1.9 million families served in Dec. of 2010 ... last data I have available.

• the number of families in California receiving cash welfare assistance was 923,358 in Dec. of '94, and fell steadily to about half that, 477,465, in Dec. of '07. During the economic crisis since '07, the families served have, predictably, risen again to 601,226 in Dec. 2010.

• thus we see that there are at least 1/3 fewer families served by TANF welfare today than at welfare's height prior to TANF in 1994. And that, in times of typical unemployment rates in the 5% range, the drop has been greater than 50%.

Summary: there is not any culture of dependency being fostered by the government.

Any questions?
sourced from the Congressional Research Service:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...Dhn61iXkIm_dKA

Old 06-18-2012, 01:35 AM

459 posts, read 724,241 times
California wants to make welfare-recipients work? The Council of Liberals will here of it! It's madness!

Old 06-18-2012, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCalifornianWriter View Post
California wants to make welfare-recipients work? The Council of Liberals will here of it! It's madness!
Have you read ANY of the posts? Particularly ones with factual information? Or did you just see the thread title and decide it was time for some sarcastic hyperbole?

Old 06-18-2012, 02:03 AM

Quote:
...I stand by everything I said. And in no way does that make me an elitist.

You have no clue what I am about and pointing the finger and calling me a pompous elitist is just ridiculous.
Quote:
... If I were a lazy non ambitous person ...
Quote:
... why do you think this state is full of freeloaders?
Quote:
It would be nice if the poor and uneducated stopped breeding like rabbits. ...
Quote:
... the people who are not bright enough to afford to take care of themselves or make something of their life before they start having babies are the ones who are creating the problems...
Yes. Very gracious in tone.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:13 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,397,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCalifornianWriter View Post
No, what is madness is a post talking about how others are lazy, etc. (it was implied) in which one of the words is used/spelled incorrectly.

It should have been "hear"

And, I just hope they make it a livable solution. My brother is disabled and after numerous doctor confirmations of that which is obvious by just looking, he was given a $600 per month benefit. However, if he gets married, or tries to work, he almost automatically loses all disability benefits. As much as he wants to try working, if he is not able to physically handle it and quits, it will cost him his disability. Its too much risk for him to take, especially as he is barely making it as is.

So, I am just hoping that while they are trying to get people to work, they also make it possible for the person to live.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:51 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,594,874 times
Quote:

Yes I was actually laughing that he thought he could get a 3 bedroom with all the bells and whistles for 900 a month...I just figured he will find out the hard way once he gets out here.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/apa/3084283127.html

A little slow are we? yeahthatguy fan club is really creative

Old 06-18-2012, 09:40 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,594,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Just woke up from my late lunch nap .. TVC that vino hit the spot *knocked me right out...

I am not sure what you found in sunnyvale for $900 LOL but when I clicked your link :
This posting has been flagged for removal. [?]
(The title on the listings page will be removed in just a few minutes.)

Nice try champ. I've lived here for many years .. and unlike you grew up in South Florida.. I lived there long enough that, when I return, i know better then to move back down there which is why I am going to Orlando. Oh b.t.w, I actually lived there too...

"3/1320 sq ft with a W & D room and Garage" for $900 a month in sunnyvale.. You must be already smoking that Cali Green. LOL, clown.

From the way you talk about 'greenhorns' and the way you hate on me all day you can't be making more then a new grad.

That's a long list bro.. LOL. I hope you are able to deal w/ someone half your age making more than you and potentially telling you what to do.. Try not to get all bent out of shape and but hurt about it.

I'll try not to so much as I leave w/ my tail tuck between my legs and take my innovative and engaging California job with me.

Pet friendly!! Bright and sunny unit! Open kitchen! Great patio!!
Enjoy paying the equivalent of a mortgage to live in a loud close quarter apartment w/ 20 kids running around above you.

I've got a family to start so I'll be doing the opposite of returning to living like a college student in a studio/1br apt or shacking up w/ roomies. Those fun years are behind me as i move 'forward'. Welcome to 'current' center of tech. Lots of things will be different for you. Try not to get so bent out of shape as you do w/ me w/ young successful people who are better off than you
Did you get tired of creating fake user names to prop yourself up? That last one on the San Jose forum, was so obvious.

As I told your girl or guy friend or fake user name, the link works fine and yep $900 for a nice pad in Sunnyvale, since you think $500 get's you the Taj Mahal down here, laughable at best, you don't know much about South Florida, you must have been a little kid when you lived here. Maybe you should state that Lauderhill is a nice place to rent a 1 bedroom.

I told you salary is not an issue, my rental budget will easily be $2K-$3K/month, who knows I may even buy something I got the money. See when you work hard for years and save, that's how you afford the Audi A6 and BMW 5 series and etc. Me, I'm more of a miser, I have a older Honda Civic, paid in full, reliable and runs great and I'm far from the pretentious person you desire to be so I don't care about the material things.

So in reality, your trying to pat yourself on the back stating that you and recent college grads are doing better than me, but in reality your rants on life there say otherwise. I think you shot yourself in the foot a long time ago, too late to turn back as the archives of C-D, which paint a picture of a very bitter person.

BTW "Successful" people young and old don't complain like you do, you don't come across as being successful, more like someone who is extremely envious of others around you. I embrace other successful people young and old and learn from them, I saw right through you after a few rants so you lost your credibility a long time ago. I expected more from a CMU grad to tell you the truth. I'm even wondering if that's not a lie too?

You would make a lot of money in the hot air business, think about it.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:53 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,358,545 times
Default California wants to push more welfare recipients to work

I believe back in the late 80's or early 90's there were back to work programs, quite a few people who my wife works with were forced into those programs, it worked then and it would work now, sometimes you need to push a person to get them out of a rut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California