Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2012, 10:51 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Give the boot to the 20 million or so who shouldn't be here and a few jobs would open up.
I see. You mean that Americans can't compete with undereducated, non-English-speaking foreigners for good quality jobs that pay a living wage?

So, if that's true, who's worth keeping?

Lazy people born to rights,
or hard working people who earn their place?

Thought we were extolling the virtues of hard work here, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 11:06 PM

31 posts, read 40,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Jerry brown has been wealthy all his life & he dont know what its like to struggle just to survive or go to bed hungry.

So are you saying that just because Jerry Brown has been wealthy all his life that he should not be seeking to overhaul the welfare system in California. Ummmm.... he is ONE person. Certainly, you don't believe those who are not wealthy, the working poor, should continue to carry the weight of able-bodied individuals.

Trust me... if some folk were kicked off welfare, many of them will go and find a job, even if it means cleaning houses and toilets... it's a job at their level of skill since they didn't put much stock in learning anything in school because their only goal was to get on welfare as soon as they graduated high school.

"Afterall.... mama, grandmama, and all the aunties were on welfare, and as a result of Section-8 they were able to live in a fully furnished 3 and 4 bedroom homes, while Ms. Jackson next door is breaking her butt working a State job everyday, only to be able to afford to share a 1-bedroom, 1200.00 a month apartment with her child... It's not my fault she makes too much money to get welfare, Medi-Cal, food stamps, free childcare so I can get my rest during the day, and a big Secton-8 house, and not enough money to have the things we do." If she wants to have a big 4-bdrm Section-8 house for 125.00 a month, free food, free childcare, and free medical, then she needs to quit her job, then she can live good as us."

And before anyone says this scenario is not true, trust me again... It is, cause I'm "Ms. Jackson" and I personally know people who actually live in this scenario. When the welfare system was "so-called" reformed, many welfare mothers became foster parents, so they could continue to get a check for children without having to work. I know of people right now, who were originally on welfare, and when they changed the rules of welfare, they found other ways, albeit legal, by becoming foster parents, which paid much more than being on welfare. They have even purchased homes in California, no doubt with its high cost of real estate, and they have never worked a day in their life.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juelle View Post
So are you saying that just because Jerry Brown has been wealthy all his life that he should not be seeking to overhaul the welfare system in California. Ummmm.... he is ONE person. Certainly, you don't believe those who are not wealthy, the working poor, should continue to carry the weight of able-bodied individuals.

Trust me... if some folk were kicked off welfare, many of them will go and find a job, even if it means cleaning houses and toilets... it's a job at their level of skill since they didn't put much stock in learning anything in school because their only goal was to get on welfare as soon as they graduated high school.

"Afterall.... mama, grandmama, and all the aunties were on welfare, and as a result of Section-8 they were able to live in a fully furnished 3 and 4 bedroom homes, while Ms. Jackson next door is breaking her butt working a State job everyday, only to be able to afford to share a 1-bedroom, 1200.00 a month apartment with her child... It's not my fault she makes too much money to get welfare, Medi-Cal, food stamps, free childcare so I can get my rest during the day, and a big Secton-8 house, and not enough money to have the things we do." If she wants to have a big 4-bdrm Section-8 house for 125.00 a month, free food, free childcare, and free medical, then she needs to quit her job, then she can live good as us."

And before anyone says this scenario is not true, trust me again... It is, cause I'm "Ms. Jackson" and I personally know people who actually live in this scenario. When the welfare system was "so-called" reformed, many welfare mothers became foster parents, so they could continue to get a check for children without having to work. I know of people right now, who were originally on welfare, and when they changed the rules of welfare, they found other ways, albeit legal, by becoming foster parents, which paid much more than being on welfare. They have even purchased homes in California, no doubt with its high cost of real estate, and they have never worked a day in their life.
Hi Ms. Jackson ... good to hear you have a job.
Now then, 12.7 million people don't have jobs ...
and there are only 3.5 million job openings for those 12.7 million seekers ...
and before you say this scenario is not true, just go look up the national statistics,
because I personally know people who actually live this scenario.
And if all 12.7 million of these lazy leeches got off their butts there still would be
9.2 million fewer jobs than people needing to work to feed their "lazy" asses ...

There are also a few people who can't add and subtract in spite of having gone to school, gotten diplomas, and securing jobs ...

Old 06-15-2012, 11:53 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,447,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Hi Ms. Jackson ... good to hear you have a job.
Now then, 12.7 million people don't have jobs ...
and there are only 3.5 million job openings for those 12.7 million seekers ...
and before you say this scenario is not true, just go look up the national statistics,
because I personally know people who actually live this scenario.
And if all 12.7 million of these lazy leeches got off their butts there still would be
9.2 million fewer jobs than people needing to work to feed their "lazy" asses ...

There are also a few people who can't add and subtract in spite of having gone to school, gotten diplomas, and securing jobs ...
It would be nice if the poor and uneducated stopped breeding like rabbits. It would also be nice if kids stopped having kids.

Of the 12.7 million looking for jobs...what type of jobs are they qualified for? Are they legally allowed to work in the US? Do we even know?

Of the 3.5 million jobs...what type of jobs are they...do we even know?

Old 06-16-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
It would be nice if the poor and uneducated stopped breeding like rabbits. It would also be nice if kids stopped having kids.

Of the 12.7 million looking for jobs...what type of jobs are they qualified for? Are they legally allowed to work in the US? Do we even know?

Of the 3.5 million jobs...what type of jobs are they...do we even know?
Of course it would be nice if the poor and uneducated stopped breeding like rabbits ... and nice if kids stopped having kids. In fact, it would be nice if most educated and rich would also stop breeding. The world could use a break from the population pressures -- and from arrogant, judgmental attitudes that are so often passed from parent to child, including very much within the middle-class and wealthier families.

But none of these things are happening ...

And I do note that the world's most frightening events and problems are ALL caused by the more educated and well-off among us. Poor, uneducated people mill around living rather emotionally extemporaneous existences, but ones that do not start wars, exploit the natural resources we all rely on and our children will rely on, create fraudulent financial schemes, products, and empires that crash economies, nor create and market completely frivolous products that poison our minds and bodies and the environments around us ... etc.

Nope. That crap is the mark of civilized, educated, wealthy people.

As for the 12.7 million people looking for work, and what they are qualified for, well I would guess they are qualified for a very broad range of professions since most industries from building trades to even banking have been trashed by the economic crash (caused by those educated we were just discussing). Engineers, fire and police, military, steel workers, restaurant workers, municipal repair crews, government clerks, teachers -- etc. -- have all felt the massive layoffs.

What positions are open? Dunno. I imagine you can research it. I know some are in medical fields, quite a number in hi-tech fields and software design / development.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:39 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
You blast what you call hillbilly states trashing the planet and don't get that they are hardly on the radar for polluting the environment and that CA is all over the map even with all of its grand regulations.
And to say it again, I'm not sure what you don't understand about the fact that California has far more people than the vast majority of states and as a result is going to have more pollution even if it does a lot better per capita than the other states. For example, even if Tennessee businesses polluted at a rate that is 3 times higher than California the state would still have less overall pollution.

The regulations in California have been successful at reducing air pollution. Smog in Los Angeles use to be worse than it is today despite a much larger population.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:49 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Quote:
What positions are open? Dunno. I imagine you can research it. I know some are in medical fields, quite a number in hi-tech fields and software design / development.
I can't say much about the medical field, but with technology there is a mistaken belief that all one has to do is work hard in college and then voila...they can get a good career in technology. Doesn't work that way......because its only those with actual talent that are prized for employment and only a small percentage of the population has such talent.

I don't know, its a strange place for society. Demand for those talented in computing, or mathematics based disciplines in general, is increasing yet talent in these fields isn't something you can teach and is relatively rare since it is only recently that it is important in human societies.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:37 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,447,145 times
Quote:
Of course it would be nice if the poor and uneducated stopped breeding like rabbits ... and nice if kids stopped having kids. In fact, it would be nice if most educated and rich would also stop breeding.
Statistically speaking the poor and uneducated as well as the kids having kids are the top baby producing humans. Most well and highly educated people usually have only one or 2 kids...some have none.

Quote:
But none of these things are happening ....
That is correct and we should be focusing our attention on this vs. rewarding this behavior.

Quote:
And I do note that the world's most frightening events and problems are ALL caused by the more educated and well-off among us.
This is absolute rubbish! The uneducated people are also responsible for wreaking havoc on society. Examples: Forcing children to become sex slaves, animal and human abuse, human trafficking, drugs, gangs, rapes, killings etc. They are not responsible productive humans thus they become a burden on socitey and impact us in many negative ways.

Quote:
Poor, uneducated people mill around living rather emotionally extemporaneous existences, but ones that do not start wars, exploit the natural resources we all rely on and our children will rely on, create fraudulent financial schemes, products, and empires that crash economies, nor create and market completely frivolous products that poison our minds and bodies and the environments around us ... etc.

Nope. That crap is the mark of civilized, educated, wealthy people.
Totally disagree with all the above...actually most of it does not make sense at all.

Quote:
As for the 12.7 million people looking for work, and what they are qualified for, well I would guess they are qualified for a very broad range of professions since most industries from building trades to even banking have been trashed by the economic crash (caused by those educated we were just discussing). Engineers, fire and police, military, steel workers, restaurant workers, municipal repair crews, government clerks, teachers -- etc. -- have all felt the massive layoffs.

We don't know do we...I wonder why? Where can we find easy facts about the state of those numbers and jobs? How can we truly verify that it is factual data? Why is it a just a number thrown at us without itemized data to go along with it? I question most things associated with numbers thrown at us but find it virtually impossible to find accuracy. Instead of just providing us with a huge number possibly some insite as to which type of working class people make up that number would be helpful as well as what jobs are represented by the other huge number.

Last edited by TVC15; 06-16-2012 at 04:05 AM..

Old 06-16-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
And to say it again, I'm not sure what you don't understand about the fact that California has far more people than the vast majority of states and as a result is going to have more pollution even if it does a lot better per capita than the other states. For example, even if Tennessee businesses polluted at a rate that is 3 times higher than California the state would still have less overall pollution.

The regulations in California have been successful at reducing air pollution. Smog in Los Angeles use to be worse than it is today despite a much larger population.
You are relating to pollution to population. Which may, but does not necessarily, correlate. State A with fewer people than state B may have heavily polluting industries that state B does not. Generally speaking, however, state A will pollute more from individual use of polluting factors (driving cars, use of household cleaners into water systems, etc.), but industrial pollution levels may vary.

However, you have also mentioned geographic factors -- which is pretty significant in some measurements, true. Tiny, heavily polluting, Medford (OR) in lightly populated Oregon, is an example. The nature of the valley and winds sticks the place with some of the nation's worst air pollution stats.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I can't say much about the medical field, but with technology there is a mistaken belief that all one has to do is work hard in college and then voila...they can get a good career in technology. Doesn't work that way......because its only those with actual talent that are prized for employment and only a small percentage of the population has such talent.

I don't know, its a strange place for society. Demand for those talented in computing, or mathematics based disciplines in general, is increasing yet talent in these fields isn't something you can teach and is relatively rare since it is only recently that it is important in human societies.
True of many professions. Not just technical design. True in the arts, in law, in business management ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California