Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2019, 01:46 PM

1,336 posts, read 928,323 times

Advertisements

So glad I am leaving this state.

Newsom will go all AOC on this place.

Lib's do enjoy your nirvana... it's acoming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 04:25 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Yup. It's all adding up. CA Health Care for all is coming. How Newsom intends to pay for it is the only question.
He intends to force the residents to pay for it. Who else would????

Old 02-01-2019, 05:05 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yes. Why wouldn’t we? As if we don’t already pay (through the roof) for our health care? Who else would pay for anything we consume/use? Martians?

Old 02-02-2019, 12:29 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
I believe Prop 13 would not have happened if the Home Owner Exemption was meaningful... or even indexed for inflation.

Think about it...

The 7k was very meaningful when a modest home cost 12 to 15k...

Legislators were all to happy to have the voters decide until they realized it had a real chance of passage... and this is with EVERY major voting block coming out against it... Unions, Public Safety, Teachers, Public Sector Employees... etc.

At the 11th hour the State put a competing measure on the ballot with a higher percentage... it failed.

As the new kid on the block I don't think for one minute my Property Tax would decrease and afraid my long-term neighbors would be hit hard...

So far not a single home in the neighborhood has stayed in the family... I am sure it happens elsewhere but not so much in Oakland.

When I bought the property tax went from $1200 to $8800 but at least with Prop 13 I do know voter approval is required for new assessments... and my inflation adjustment is capped at 2%

Old 02-02-2019, 03:34 PM

716 posts, read 540,035 times
And wIt till you pull a permit for
A pool or Ddition then these assessors revalue your house and your property taxes numpna couple thousand. I had to happen three times and go sick and tired of huge increases. The. add the bond money cause the voters are to stupid to think that bonds don’t cost much

Old 02-03-2019, 05:08 PM

1,336 posts, read 928,323 times
The bubble has already started deflating. What CNBC doesn't know or want to tell you amateur investors and real estate speculators is that the Valley is done for. The lack of innovation that would fuel the future growth of FANG or whatever they call it today is shocking once you peel back the hype layers. Theranos may be the worst scam in the Bay area, but alot of the valuation in Facebook and Apple will be disappeared once people take a sober look at their roadmap. Google is one of the few who can survive a bit of the coming nuclear winter with their advertising business model. But even they are bankrupt on the innovation front.

And once the equity shares that have created this bubble lose their air pressure, this soap bubble will start imploding.
You'll see.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:32 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,989,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Of course and if you look up and down the roll of local, state taxes, the juiciest bite could come from defeating Prop 13 "in exchange" for CA Health Care for All. There literally isn't anything else that Newsom could tax that would provide enough revenue to at least partially fund it. 2020 is going to be interesting with the Split Roll, I'd love to see what happens to secondary/rental properties.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:33 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,989,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I believe Prop 13 would not have happened if the Home Owner Exemption was meaningful... or even indexed for inflation.

Think about it...

The 7k was very meaningful when a modest home cost 12 to 15k...

Legislators were all to happy to have the voters decide until they realized it had a real chance of passage... and this is with EVERY major voting block coming out against it... Unions, Public Safety, Teachers, Public Sector Employees... etc.

At the 11th hour the State put a competing measure on the ballot with a higher percentage... it failed.

As the new kid on the block I don't think for one minute my Property Tax would decrease and afraid my long-term neighbors would be hit hard...

So far not a single home in the neighborhood has stayed in the family... I am sure it happens elsewhere but not so much in Oakland.

When I bought the property tax went from $1200 to $8800 but at least with Prop 13 I do know voter approval is required for new assessments... and my inflation adjustment is capped at 2%
Have you taken steps to reduce your exposure? From what I remember you said you own multiple rentals in the East Bay.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:28 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,639,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
The bubble has already started deflating. What CNBC doesn't know or want to tell you amateur investors and real estate speculators is that the Valley is done for. The lack of innovation that would fuel the future growth of FANG or whatever they call it today is shocking once you peel back the hype layers. Theranos may be the worst scam in the Bay area, but alot of the valuation in Facebook and Apple will be disappeared once people take a sober look at their roadmap. Google is one of the few who can survive a bit of the coming nuclear winter with their advertising business model. But even they are bankrupt on the innovation front.

And once the equity shares that have created this bubble lose their air pressure, this soap bubble will start imploding.
You'll see.
Dun dun dun

Also, the fact that you put together apple and facebook in the same sentence when talking about valution is comical. Apple is one of the cheapest companies in the S&P by any valuation metric. Except, absolute market cap, which any noob assumes means anything in a vaccuum

Old 02-04-2019, 11:19 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,183,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Of course and if you look up and down the roll of local, state taxes, the juiciest bite could come from defeating Prop 13 "in exchange" for CA Health Care for All. There literally isn't anything else that Newsom could tax that would provide enough revenue to at least partially fund it. 2020 is going to be interesting with the Split Roll, I'd love to see what happens to secondary/rental properties.
I'm not sure Newsome has a balls to try that. Is his ego really that big that he thinks he can pull that off and stay in office? I think he is def going to attempt health care for all but Prop 13? Guess we'll see what horror is coming down the pike for Ca in the next years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California