Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2019, 03:26 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion3510 View Post
Despite this, I could definitely see Prop 13 dismantled IF there was a grandfather clause. Those that have already gotten in would be able to pass property and the effective rate to their heir/devisee. Their incentive to oppose the measure would not be there.

The burden would fall to all new homeowners that were not legacies of current homeowners. This would be terrifying to any potential new owner.
Exactly. Give credit to tacosoup, I think he may have just predicted how Prop 13 will die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
It'll never happen. We can't even get the ACA to work correctly here (thanks to its systematic dismantling by Trump and Co).

Newsom won't be around for the next gubernatorial election if he tampers with Prop 13. Too many people here are for it, and remain for it.
If they take the approach tacosoup describes, I honestly do not see opposition to Prop 13 being slowly "sun-setted".

Who would actually oppose it?

Old 02-04-2019, 03:31 PM

400 posts, read 449,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
If they take the approach tacosoup describes, I honestly do not see opposition to Prop 13 being slowly "sun-setted".

Potential future home owners such as myself. The Real Estate lobby perhaps. However, I acknowledge that our ranks would be too few to oppose a measure like that without some serious influx from a Real Estate PAC or something similar. Especially if you package it as a "Medicare for All" in exchange.

If it passed, I think my family would seriously consider leaving the state.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Potential future home owners such as myself. The Real Estate lobby perhaps. However, I acknowledge that our ranks would be too few to oppose a measure like that without some serious influx from a Real Estate PAC or something similar. Especially if you package it as a "Medicare for All" in exchange.

If it passed, I think my family would seriously consider leaving the state.
How could you not? I wouldn't blame you.

My question is, would you move and vote the same way you did in California?

Old 02-04-2019, 03:56 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:

Nobody would sell to upgrade. But that dosn't happen much here anymore anyway. Flippers would be badly affected but not many flippers in so cal. No millennials or middle class could hope to buy here. In the end I think it would be catastrophic for Ca if it happens.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Nobody would sell to upgrade. But that dosn't happen much here anymore anyway. Flippers would be badly affected but not many flippers in so cal. No millennials or middle class could hope to buy here. In the end I think it would be catastrophic for Ca if it happens.
Hey, you get "free" health care though.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:01 PM

400 posts, read 449,615 times
Quote:
How could you not? I wouldn't blame you.

My question is, would you move and vote the same way you did in California?

You're assuming I vote coastal liberal California style. That would be an incorrect assumption. So, yes, I would vote the same.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:01 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
It will fund lots of things.

It’s like this: when there’s few working ... and taxes can’t go any higher without literally starving the masses ... and healthcare costs more than each paycheck delivers ............... what will the wealthy do to sell their wares?

You know the old story about the goose that laid golden eggs, right? Kill the goose and the gold supply stops. The consuming public are geese. They have to be kept alive to lay eggs a.k.a. buy stuff.

There isn’t anywhere else to go for money. Our economic system is built around conspicuous [over] consumption.
Yeah I get that line of thinking.

I think it is the only hope the oil industry has of staying operational in CA. The Ca legislature sometimes seems to threaten to put them out of business completely but do they really want to risk losing the tax revenue and the jobs on top that?

Old 02-04-2019, 04:03 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
I could definitely see Prop 13 dismantled IF there was a grandfather clause. Those that have already gotten in would be able to pass property and the effective rate to their heir/devisee. Their incentive to oppose the measure would not be there.

The burden would fall to all new homeowners that were not legacies of current homeowners. This would be terrifying to any potential new owner.
New homeowners benefit from Prop 13. Without it, their property taxes would be what they are in other states. Very few people are against Prop 13.

And the whole promise of universal health insurance: it ain't gonna happen. Too many people are covered by their employer, and they don't want that tampered with. We are simply too capitalistic a society. It would take major societal change, many years, and massive discontent to dramatically change the way that the U.S. handles health care. And if anyone thinks Newsom is capable of orchestrating that kind of change, think again.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
You're assuming I vote coastal liberal California style. That would be an incorrect assumption. So, yes, I would vote the same.
My man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California