Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2019, 08:22 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligirl8 View Post
Interesting. I have to say I dont disagree. I have many friends with students loans still cannot even afford a small condo here in OC
Hope they don't have auto loans as well. Something seems to be happening to the economy.

A record number of Americans are 90 days behind on their car payments:
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/12/a-re...-payments.html

Surge in Auto Loan Delinquencies: Auto Loans in High Gear: https://moneymaven.io/mishtalk/econo...0yrF7NDDTSLwQ/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 10:27 AM

1,203 posts, read 836,450 times
Funny. Not a single reply back by the OP since July. Perhaps he/she is having a good laugh and knew all along that no one can answer the question without any degree of accuracy (few Economists predicted the last recession).

Old 02-15-2019, 11:46 AM

35 posts, read 32,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
But they can in OK or MO or even TX.

Yes they could however they would all be moving away from family here in California. Most have kids or are starting to have kids. Nobody wants to move grandchildren away from grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. They know they are paying the price to be close to family and are ok with that.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:50 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
Quote:
Yes they could however they would all be moving away from family here in California. Most have kids or are starting to have kids. Nobody wants to move grandchildren away from grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. They know they are paying the price to be close to family and are ok with that.
That is part of the problem, yet almost all the kids I grew up with have moved away from family so they and the kids they still have living with them can have a better quality of life. Frustrating for sure, but an individual choice. Only one relative of mine now lives in CA, though a couple of step relatives still do.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:00 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
That is part of the problem, yet almost all the kids I grew up with have moved away from family so they and the kids they still have living with them can have a better quality of life. Frustrating for sure, but an individual choice. Only one relative of mine now lives in CA, though a couple of step relatives still do.
Part of the problem is families not wanting to move to other states? I take care of my grandson when my son works. The boy is in school now, but when he was younger there was no way my son could have afforded child care given the hours he was working. Personally I think a 'better quality of life' is living near your family.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:11 PM

35 posts, read 32,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Part of the problem is families not wanting to move to other states? I take care of my grandson when my son works. The boy is in school now, but when he was younger there was no way my son could have afforded child care given the hours he was working. Personally I think a 'better quality of life' is living near your family.
Thank you! I 100% agree! Is a bigger house better quality of life over living close to family? I don’t think so but to each his own. The point here is California used to be more affordable...expensive compared to other states yes but the cost has surged exponentially so much so that middle class families are no longer middle class.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
It can be if it does not take so much of a persons income they can't have even afford some basics, commute taking many hours a week from the family, and the list goes on. If people can afford it, fine stay and enjoy being close to family. But many see a better overall life elsewhere and still have the funds to visit family regularly multiple times a year.

Of course a lot of kids grow up, go to a college or university away from home and many times do not come back. Close families are becoming rarer for many reasons.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Thank you! I 100% agree! Is a bigger house better quality of life over living close to family? I don’t think so but to each his own. The point here is California used to be more affordable...expensive compared to other states yes but the cost has surged exponentially so much so that middle class families are no longer middle class.
Sad but true and it won't change. It is likely to get worse. Planning now includes far more than it did in the past as no one really knows how high prices for homes, rent etc will go and when it will exceed what most middle class families can afford. Then they have fewer choices for staying and usually it means grown kids still have to live at home, or move to a more affordable area in CA and drive a long commute making ti harder to visit family or in other cases a really good paying job, after university, is offered away from home and they want the job. Life is changing.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:44 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Sad but true and it won't change. It is likely to get worse. Planning now includes far more than it did in the past as no one really knows how high prices for homes, rent etc will go and when it will exceed what most middle class families can afford. Then they have fewer choices for staying and usually it means grown kids still have to live at home, or move to a more affordable area in CA and drive a long commute making ti harder to visit family or in other cases a really good paying job, after university, is offered away from home and they want the job. Life is changing.
I'm not sure my position on this will be popular, but if either one of my sons, or my stepson couldn't afford a place to live, they could live with us for as long as necessary. We don't have a big house but if it was too small we would help them buy their own place or sell ours and buy a bigger house. That's how important my family is to me. I doubt if we will ever be in that situation because they are all doing quite well, my stepson and his family just bought a house in Daly City for $920,000, but if the need arises they know we have their back.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure my position on this will be popular, but if either one of my sons, or my stepson couldn't afford a place to live, they could live with us for as long as necessary. We don't have a big house but if it was too small we would help them buy their own place or sell ours and buy a bigger house. That's how important my family is to me. I doubt if we will ever be in that situation because they are all doing quite well, my stepson and his family just bought a house in Daly City for $920,000, but if the need arises they know we have their back.
No problem with that at all. I have helped my daughter at times. Unfortunately for many they can't make enough to ever buy in CA near family. Good for you and your kids and how you raised them and are able to care for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California