Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2020, 10:47 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Foreign agents disguised as monkeys.

The vials will be used to manufacture enough CV19 to blanket the world from crop-sprayer aircraft ... unless the international community ponies up $10 bazillion dollars ... or 007 can thwart the plot.

That’s my theory.

Stay tuned.
I think you may be right! Or, once the thieves took the hot stuff back to the ring leader, he screamed, "WTH?!"

Old 05-29-2020, 11:00 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Interesting article on why COVID-19 is so much more deadly in the U.S. and Europe than in Asia.

A team of scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratory argued that a more highly contagious strain of the virus has taken hold in Europe and spread in the United States — but other experts have said the significance of emergent strains remains unclear.

“It could just be an accident that whoever had that mutant went to the most rock festivals and nightclubs and transmitted to the most people,” said Jeremy Luban, a virologist at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. “But the other possibility is that that strain is more transmissible.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...c0e_story.html
And yet now, according to this article, the CDC is revising the mortality rate downwards to 0.4%.

It’s things like this that make me think most of this was BS and it affects the elderly more. A more targeted response was likely sufficient instead of closing everything.

https://www.wcnc.com/mobile/article/...5-123459f0082b

Old 05-29-2020, 11:09 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
From everything I have read, I have concluded wearing a mask lowers your odds of getting infected, when in the vicinity of a carrier of the virus and if I was a carrier, lowers the odds of me infecting somebody else.
It sure sounds like a face mask makes a difference.

Interesting article about a Marin County Physician who contracted COVID-19 back in March, before it was known that masks could help prevent transmission. Out of the five members of his family, he got it (badly - read what he went through), his 20 year old daughter got it, as did his 16 year old son. But his wife did not get it, nor did their 10 year old.

The variation that occurred within his own household suggests to Willis that there is still much unknown. It will be crucial for scientists, physicians and drugmakers to study the disease and its effects on different people, he said, in order to figure out its sometimes seemingly random behavior.

He also said he feels fortunate to live in a community that is also seeking answers to these questions — and turning to scientists and physicians for information.

“There’s a healthy respect for science in Marin County,” he said.

He said there’s still too little information to know whether he’s actually protected from the disease, or how long any immunity might last. Therefore, he behaves as he’d want all of his neighbors to behave: He wears a mask, he limits his time away from home to essential travel and is vigilant about maintaining a healthy distance from others.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...rus-antibodies

Old 05-29-2020, 11:55 AM

1,156 posts, read 987,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
And yet now, according to this article, the CDC is revising the mortality rate downwards to 0.4%.

It’s things like this that make me think most of this was BS and it affects the elderly more. A more targeted response was likely sufficient instead of closing everything.

https://www.wcnc.com/mobile/article/...5-123459f0082b
Yes, and it seems to continue to go down. With regards to the mask, I'll follow this advice, and if other parts of CA follow SF's lead about masks in public and exercise within 30 feet, I won't have my mask outside. Inside, I'll follow the rules, even though as you said, there's so many workers in the grocery stores with their masks below their nose or mouth walking around.

We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2006372

Also, 42% of deaths are in nursing homes in the US. We shut most of the country down this long for this? Too bad the experts didn't think about the nursing home problem when it was so evident from Italy and the rest of Europe. Did the math quickly.

US deaths 103,452
NY/NJ deaths 41,065
US deaths outside of NY/NJ 62,387
Nursing (NH)/LTC Deaths @42% 26,203
Deaths exc NY/NJ/NH/LTC 36,184

https://freopp.org/the-covid-19-nurs...s-3a47433c3f70

Old 05-29-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
Yes, and it seems to continue to go down. With regards to the mask, I'll follow this advice, and if other parts of CA follow SF's lead about masks in public and exercise within 30 feet, I won't have my mask outside. Inside, I'll follow the rules, even though as you said, there's so many workers in the grocery stores with their masks below their nose or mouth walking around.

We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2006372

Also, 42% of deaths are in nursing homes in the US. We shut most of the country down this long for this? Too bad the experts didn't think about the nursing home problem when it was so evident from Italy and the rest of Europe. Did the math quickly.

US deaths 103,452
NY/NJ deaths 41,065
US deaths outside of NY/NJ 62,387
Nursing (NH)/LTC Deaths @42% 26,203
Deaths exc NY/NJ/NH/LTC 36,184

https://freopp.org/the-covid-19-nurs...s-3a47433c3f70
I’m still wearing a mask if I have to go into a store. Everyone throws around raw numbers without any breakdown for age, underlying conditions and nursing home deaths. Add to that the numbers and guidance keeps changing.

Most of all the shutdowns weren’t necessary.

Old 05-29-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
I’m still wearing a mask if I have to go into a store. Everyone throws around raw numbers without any breakdown for age, underlying conditions and nursing home deaths. Add to that the numbers and guidance keeps changing.

Most of all the shutdowns weren’t necessary.
This CDC (about 20k deaths behind due to reporting), looks like Table 4 has a good breakdown. Can't see all of it on my phone, but breaks out by age, comorbidities.

Table 4 shows the types of health conditions and contributing causes mentioned in conjunction with deaths involving coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). For 7% of the deaths, COVID-19 was the only cause mentioned. For deaths with conditions or causes in addition to COVID-19, on average, there were 2.5 additional conditions or causes per death. The number of deaths with each condition or cause is shown for all deaths and by age groups.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c....htm#AgeAndSex

Old 05-29-2020, 01:48 PM

Interesting. The Chinese CDC now says the coronavirus didn't jump to people at the Wuhan wet market — instead, it was the site of a superspreader event

Authorities in Wuhan, China, initially reported that the first cases of the virus emerged at the local Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market. But the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention said this week that following an investigation of the animals there, it ruled the site out as the origin of the outbreak.

According to The Wall Street Journal, Gao Fu, the director of the Chinese CDC, told Chinese state media, "It now turns out that the market is one of the victims."

....none of the animals at the market tested positive for the virus, Colin Carlson, a Georgetown University researcher who studies zoonotic diseases, told Live Science. If they were never infected, they couldn't have been the intermediary host that facilitated the spillover.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...dc-says-2020-5

Old 05-29-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Interesting. The Chinese CDC now says the coronavirus didn't jump to people at the Wuhan wet market — instead, it was the site of a superspreader event

Authorities in Wuhan, China, initially reported that the first cases of the virus emerged at the local Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market. But the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention said this week that following an investigation of the animals there, it ruled the site out as the origin of the outbreak.

According to The Wall Street Journal, Gao Fu, the director of the Chinese CDC, told Chinese state media, "It now turns out that the market is one of the victims."

....none of the animals at the market tested positive for the virus, Colin Carlson, a Georgetown University researcher who studies zoonotic diseases, told Live Science. If they were never infected, they couldn't have been the intermediary host that facilitated the spillover.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...dc-says-2020-5
Like China has any credibility.

Old 05-29-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
It’s laughable, Mike. We still don’t know who Patient 0 is. Was it the researcher from the lab who went to the wet market? When might that have been? How about Tikka’s ABC video interview 2 days ago with the BA couple who saw strange things in Wuhan in November and didn’t get to spend the night in Wuhan unexpectedly? Don’t believe Sh-t that comes from China. Who the heck would? Well, I can think of more than a few...what a travesty.

Old 05-29-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
"I haven't seen anything that makes me feel, as a researcher who studies zoonotic disease, that this market is a likely option," said Colin Carlson, a professor at Georgetown University who studies the spread of such zoonotic viruses, which transmit between animals and humans.

https://www.livescience.com/covid-19...et-market.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California