Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 07:31 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times

Advertisements

Lately the reaction toward Arizona's new immigrate policy has been harshly critical. The call for an economic boycott of Arizona has been issued by the city of San Francisco. The archbishop of Los Angeles referred to the Arizona law as "German Nazi and Russian Communist techniques." Unless the new law is struck down it is likely that other cities and the state legislature will call for boycotts of Arizona.

Do you think California will officially boycott Arizona?

Old 04-27-2010, 07:37 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Lately the reaction toward Arizona's new immigrate policy has been harshly critical. The call for an economic boycott of Arizona has been issued by the city of San Francisco. The archbishop of Los Angeles referred to the Arizona law as "German Nazi and Russian Communist techniques." Unless the new law is struck down it is likely that other cities and the state legislature will call for boycotts of Arizona.

Do you think California will officially boycott Arizona?
I think it possible that the Legislature will pass non-binding resolutions but I doubt that beyond all the sound and fury, much else will occur.

Then again, the possibility certainly exists that I'm completely wrong.

It would be refreshing if the powers that be concentrated on fixing California rather than another state.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:57 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,768,506 times
Why boycott Arizona? They have the right to pass whatever laws they like, just as Californians do. The courts will determine whether they are constitutional or not. I may not feel anywhere nearly as strongly on the immigration issue as Arizona voters apparently do, but they have the right to their opinion. This is the great thing about having 50 different states to choose from in the US.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:36 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,384,247 times
Before it gets to that point, I have a feeling that the Supreme Court will strike it down anyways.

Just remember, California passed Proposition 187 (1994) that would have denied illegal immigrants rights to public services by a wide margin. The Supreme Court struck it down.

California Proposition 187 (1994) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If individuals want to boycott Arizona, that's up to them. I don't even really know how many corporations or businesses operate out of AZ anyways, nor will I go to the Grand Canyon anytime soon (unrelated to this issue). I have my own opinions on this law, but as a state, California shouldn't be meddling in the affairs of other states UNLESS voters want to.

Remember what Justice Brandeis once said "States are the laboratories of Democracy"

However, personally speaking, I can't see this ending up well anyways. Immigration is probably the touchiest subject in American politics.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:41 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
I'd hope that California would emulate Arizona. It's refreshing to see a non-Federal governmental entity do something in response to the Federal dereliction of duty enforcing our Southern border, other than declare "sanctuary" cities and give the invaders free health care, WIC and other welfare/BS feel-good California style horsecrap.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:05 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times
I swear this - if the state of California does boycott Arizona I'll move there. Believe you me. That's BS - Arizona is doing what California and Texas should have done AGES ago. Instead of welcoming illegals with nonsense like...

YouTube - California - Find yourself here

How about actually stepping up to try and fix the problem, Governator?

Old 04-27-2010, 10:16 PM

572 posts, read 2,486,607 times
If California boycotts Arizona they better get ready to put Utah on the list also, they are looking into making the same type of law that Arizona now has

Old 04-27-2010, 11:01 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
As nutty as CA is it is nowhere near the level of San Francisco. I feel SF is just as bad as AZ when it comes to illegal immigrants except they're just on the opposite side of the issue.I highly doubt a state as big and diverse as CA will officially boycott AZ to the level that SF is. SF is not representative of this state at all, it's a bubble imo.

A lot of Californians probably agree with the law at least somewhat. I personally feel something needs to be done here but I dunno if AZ is a good example. I'm really concerned that it will lead to any hispanic looking person being subjected to checks on their citizenship, which is absolutely BS. I would flip out if some officer actually stopped me for the sole purpose of checking my citizenship just b/c of how I look. It's bad enough I get asked my nationality when I get pulled over and when I say "American" they have this dumbfounded look and ask "What?". So then I just say Mexican like they want, even though that is not my nationality. Next time I'm just saying Asian just to see how the pig reacts.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:02 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
To be entirely honest, I have mixed feelings about the Arizona law but know that it has alienated many Latinos. Some of those protesting the law in Phoenix where people who had come en-mass from LA. Just like the large number of California Democrats who helped the Obama campaign in both Phoenix and Las Vegas. I think California has more influence on Arizona than the citizens of Arizona even know. If there is some sort of boycott it could really hurt Arizona.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:08 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
As nutty as CA is it is nowhere near the level of San Francisco. I feel SF is just as bad as AZ when it comes to illegal immigrants except they're just on the opposite side of the issue.I highly doubt a state as big and diverse as CA will officially boycott AZ to the level that SF is. SF is not representative of this state at all, it's a bubble imo.

A lot of Californians probably agree with the law at least somewhat. I personally feel something needs to be done here but I dunno if AZ is a good example. I'm really concerned that it will lead to any hispanic looking person being subjected to checks on their citizenship, which is absolutely BS. I would flip out if some officer actually stopped me for the sole purpose of checking my citizenship just b/c of how I look. It's bad enough I get asked my nationality when I get pulled over and when I say "American" they have this dumbfounded look and ask "What?". So then I just say Mexican like they want, even though that is not my nationality. Next time I'm just saying Asian just to see how the pig reacts.
The way this world is going any one of us is liable to be stopped no matter what we look like just to see in they ( the cops ) can find something to charge us with so we can go to court on a monthly basis and donate to their cause .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California