Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2022, 01:56 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times

Advertisements

^ I'd say you about nailed it CS. I agree those were probably all deciding factors (how could they not be?) and likely a few other things that government and security agencies have kept under wraps so far that the public doesn't know about yet and may take awhile longer to come to light.

It's disturbing to learn about the 2,000 firearms that have been stolen. Sounds like somebody is planning on starting a war. I think the theft of the firearms on Sunday may have been the last straw that broke the camel's back. I'm glad the Emergencies Act has been enacted and I hope it presents sharp teeth and claws.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2022, 02:22 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It's different when they have different reasons for considering it.

No, it is not different for the group you support and the one you oppose. They both had/have similar reasons. The government does not represent their interests. Covid and all it has spawned has revealed a lot of hypocrisy for what it is. My guess is this will increase support in the western provinces for breaking away.

Old 02-15-2022, 03:05 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,310,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
I suppose it depends how you define the problem of western Canada. It will take a constitutional earthquake to allow any notion of separation to really threaten the federal government
Maybe western Canada can join up with Western Australia, which seems to have totally disassociated itself from the rest of the country. We have been able to fly to Canada or the UK for months but we cannot enter WA.

But seriously, the Ontario government may be caught out like our NSW government. Our new Premier lifted almost all restrictions on December 15th and has experienced a massive problem. Omicron hit at the same time, the numbers spiked over Christmas, there were huge issues with shortages of tests. The state has been in a voluntary lockdown which has actually been worse than the proper lockdown we had in July and August. He was forced to reintroduce some restrictions and today nurses went on strike, protesting against the stress caused by his lifting of restrictions too quickly and demanding more pay and better conditions.

He was the state treasurer and believed that lifting all rules on masks, being vaccinated and checking in would result in a big boost to the economy. He forgot that eating in restaurants and going to the theatre and to pubs is not obligatory.

Old 02-15-2022, 03:16 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,959,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Personally, I think Poilievier has stepped in it big time. He's done the quick and easy thing of aligning himself with these noisy people. I hope it BITES him. The conservatives can, and should, do better than a squeeky shih tzu ankle biter.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...uty?li=AAggNb9
I was surprised that Poilievier stepped into it so easily. Mid-protest he released a promotional video where he is supporting freedom/liberte and running for leadership of the PCs. He seems clever, but perhaps that's only when he's navigating Trudeau. Within his own party, he's selling "FREEDOM" as a political platform? Is the PC government aligned with the protesters?

The country will vote NDP if the two minority parties cannot get their - together.

Old 02-15-2022, 07:43 AM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Thank you for the succinct summary, ChevySpoons. I owe you a rep.

Old 02-15-2022, 11:54 AM

3,464 posts, read 2,794,010 times
Sloly but surely Ottawa’s po-po chief resigned.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/slo...ship-1.6352295

Old 02-15-2022, 12:09 PM

2,401 posts, read 1,572,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Sloly but surely Ottawa’s po-po chief resigned.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/slo...ship-1.6352295
not surprised - even before the convoy rolled in he was often criticized for the handling of internal discipline issues, the public lost faith in him a log tome ago

Old 02-15-2022, 12:48 PM

7,682 posts, read 5,533,957 times
Sean O’Shea, Global News:
Quote:
“Stand your ground, please don’t leave,” Ottawa convoy organizers plead to Coutts, AB truckers in overnight YouTube video. The man on the left, Jeff, says support from the “south” is coming.

(Video is included in the Tweet.)
https://twitter.com/consumersos/stat...726856707?s=10

Old 02-15-2022, 12:59 PM

225 posts, read 152,830 times
Wow! The "fringe" minority has lead to Justin Trudeau declaring emergency powers. It's the first time in a long time Canadian history! In true passive aggressive style Justin is now freezing truckers bank accounts! LOL! Just wow. He also just announced plans to bring in 1.3 million more immigrants before 2024. This guy just doesn't get it! Meanwhile, this Canadian patriot donated 75k to the freedom convoy. You love to see it!

Last edited by Quebec Is My Country; 02-15-2022 at 01:09 PM..

Old 02-15-2022, 01:23 PM

225 posts, read 152,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
Okay, what's really going on up there?

My crazy Q-Anon brother (lives in Illinois) says he's been watching live-streams 24/7 since this started.
He says it's peaceful and no defecating in the street and that they 'protesters' are keeping the sidewalks free of ice and it's basically just like a big family reunion

Then he said that the government is going to cause a "Tiananmen Square" situation.

Do any of you Canadians know what he's talking about? He's really freaking out (more than usual)
You can watch live feeds of the protests all over YouTube. There are people who film hours in a single time. The livefeeds show people being friendly, like playing games and hugging. Some people has brought hot tubs and beers and are playing hockey.

The only ones talking about violence and eager for severe retaliation are the anti-Freedom side. Look on this website and you even see protestors compared to monkeys and other dehumanizing talk and aggressive conspiracies. Justin Trudeau and the anti-Freedom side has become more and more unhinged as reality becomes clear that Canada is more like red state USA then they believed.

These people used so much virtue-signaling and canceling that they created their own bubble and don't understand that others may not live in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada