Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 03:56 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,021,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Quality of life for someone dying of untreated colon cancer is going to be absolutely magnificent, I am sure!

Chemotherapy versus death from cancer – Respectful Insolence
I can assure you if I develop colon cancer in my mid 70's or perhaps before, I will swallow my stash and be done with it. So, yes, my death will be absolutely magnificent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 03:59 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
Quote:
She does have problems: rectal bleeding and constipation.

Apparently you did not read this:

Why I would try to suggest she get one for peace of mind. Fun no but peace of mind is also a factor to consider. Maybe she would do an appointment with the doctor and tell him her fears.

There is more than one prep and if a problem it will be caught early. You also would benefit why if polyps you would be in the higher risk factor. One day of the stuff is worth it to me.

Last edited by maggiekate; 06-06-2016 at 04:19 PM..

Old 06-06-2016, 04:07 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
She does have problems: rectal bleeding and constipation.

Apparently you did not read this:

I just re-read the OP's post, a hint of blood and constipation. That equals fear of cancer? SO Many are constipated in our world and getting on that issue could change the "hint of blood" which to me could be hemmroids. My mother had a lifetime of constipation and she was always working on that issue, and so have I. There are many many helpers and I don't mean laxatives to get things moving smoothly.

I use magnesium, Vit C, aloe vera on occasion and eat some prunes daily and drink a lot of water, warm water is the best, not ice water to back things up more.

Just my thoughts and yes many of us think in opposite directions. Freedom of thinking and speech.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:12 PM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times
It is an individual choice. Quality versus Quantity. Even that is subject to interpretation. If at 67, I had to spend my life seeing doctors all the time, taking this Pill or having that Test or Procedure, I would rather be DEAD. I would not want to live like that if it gave me 5 years more of life, or 50 years more of life.

I have made this clear to my own family. Even if they do not agree with me, it is MY choice, and MINE alone. I saw what my own Mom went through and did. I totally agreed with her, and I APPLAUD her to choosing how she wanted to die, over the objections of the Medical Community.

One cannot choose their Birth, but they SHOULD be able to choose their own DEATH. Sorry, if you lose a PATIENT, a certain nameless poster on here who thinks they are appointed by GOD to make decisions for others.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:12 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I just re-read the OP's post, a hint of blood and constipation.
It's the most common way colon cancer presents, actually. And the only way to KNOW the bleeding and constipation are being caused by something innocuous rather than by cancer is to look.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:21 PM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I can assure you if I develop colon cancer in my mid 70's or perhaps before, I will swallow my stash and be done with it. So, yes, my death will be absolutely magnificent.
That's fine for you but not helpful for the patient in the OP. It's highly unlikely that she has her own "stash".

I get the impression that some folks here have no idea what dying from untreated colon cancer would be like.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:23 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
It's the most common way colon cancer presents, actually. And the only way to KNOW the bleeding and constipation are being caused by something innocuous rather than by cancer is to look.
also it helps her family to know if they are at high risk. My neighbor did avoid them so I said I will go if you do. Lucky me I flunked but got polyps out and she had other issues which the Doctor helped with. She was age 70 and just had one at age 78 with bleeding maybe crohns disease but her colon was OK

Last edited by maggiekate; 06-06-2016 at 04:32 PM..

Old 06-06-2016, 05:23 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Quote:
That's fine for you but not helpful for the patient in the OP. It's highly unlikely that she has her own "stash".

I get the impression that some folks here have no idea what dying from untreated colon cancer would be like.
And some folks here have no idea what living from treated colon cancer is like.

This is not an adversarial relationship people. We who have survived the worst and come out better on the other side are not your enemy. We simply want you to be as informed as possible before you decide on a course of treatment - or not.

I feel that I've adequately done my job and suzy_q has made an effort to clarify some of the mistaken information.

I'm off to other things. Good wishes to the OP and to her Mom.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:35 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,260,829 times
Quote:
Doing a FIT test would not be helpful. The Mom in the OP has had frank rectal bleeding and a positive stool test of some sort. A negative FIT at this point would not mean anything. A polyp or cancer may not bleed all the time. One positive stool test is all that is needed to prompt further testing even in the absence of frank bleeding.

The OP said

Her colonoscopy is diagnostic, not screening. The assumption that the bleeding was due to straining cannot be proven without further evaluation.

Yes, her choice needs to be informed, but she needs to know the risk of missing a cancer and be sure she wants to take it.

Yes, but even some of those require a prep. Further screening tests are not indicated. The patient now needs a diagnosis.
I don't know why you are so insistent that this elderly woman MUST have a colonoscopy, based on your knowledge from the first post, which said she had some sort of undefined stool test. Without more knowledge of what, exactly, her doctor found, it is inappropriate to rant about one positive stool test being enough to require a colonoscopy. There is no harm in repeating the test in a person with KNOWN constipation, which does cause bleeding, and who has already indicated she does not want to have a colonoscopy done. The second test might actually change her mind. And I know the difference between a screening and a diagnostic test, as I order tests all the time, so you can stop lecturing everyone.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:59 PM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I don't know why you are so insistent that this elderly woman MUST have a colonoscopy, based on your knowledge from the first post, which said she had some sort of undefined stool test. Without more knowledge of what, exactly, her doctor found, it is inappropriate to rant about one positive stool test being enough to require a colonoscopy. There is no harm in repeating the test in a person with KNOWN constipation, which does cause bleeding, and who has already indicated she does not want to have a colonoscopy done. The second test might actually change her mind. And I know the difference between a screening and a diagnostic test, as I order tests all the time, so you can stop lecturing everyone.
What do you not understand about her not only having had a positive stool test for blood but also a history of visible rectal bleeding?

A single positive stool for blood, even without the history of visible bleeding is an indication for colonoscopy. The test only shows there is blood in the stool. It does not tell where it came from. Since polyps and cancers may only bleed intermittently, a negative test after a positive one does not mean that further evaluation is not indicated. In fact, stool tests for occult blood are usually done in sets of three from different bowel movements in order to maximize the chance of at least one of the three being positive.

Colorectal cancer screening tests

"The [fecal occult blood test] kit will explain how to take stool samples at home (usually samples from 3 consecutive bowel movements are smeared onto small squares of paper)."

"If this test finds blood, a colonoscopy will be needed to look for the source. It’s not enough to simply repeat the gFOBT or follow up with other types of tests."

If you do not understand this, perhaps you should not be ordering tests.

Constipation can be a symptom of colon cancer.

The OP's mom needs to fully understand that the colonoscopy would be for the purpose of making a diagnosis of the cause of her bleeding and to make sure her constipation is not being caused by a cancer. If she understands that and still refuses the colonoscopy, so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving