Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-12-2024, 11:43 PM
 
Location: Out there somewhere...a traveling man.
44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Reputation: 125776

Advertisements

O j... B i h
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2024, 03:46 AM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Reputation: 10450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
People often confuse "not guilty" with innocent.

They are not the same.

A verdict of "not guilty" does not mean the defendant is innocent of the crime.
It means the Prosecutor failed to prove that he was guilty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2024, 05:17 AM
 
1,212 posts, read 501,942 times
Reputation: 1437
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
It means the Prosecutor failed to prove that he was guilty.
It's called jury nullification. jury nullification occurs when a jury returns a Not Guilty verdict even though jurors believe beyond reasonable doubt that the defendant has broken the law.

If you watched the ESPN series on the trial, in the first episode, Garchetti flat out says we moved the trial into the city to secure a black jury pool who we knew would likely acquit. He knew that if OJ was found guilty there would be more mass rioting, looting and murder in LA. Jurors have since admitted that they knew OJ did it but because the victims were white it was OK.

Last edited by Karl Lagos; 04-13-2024 at 06:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2024, 05:54 AM
 
Location: Vermont
9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Reputation: 17878
^^ Exactly. I worked in downtown LA during the OJ trial. What a circus!!
Once they started raising the accusation that evidence was planted by LAPD, the jury was turned. The glove incident? good grief. And Mark Furhman denying he ever used the "N" word didn't help. He was vilified.
Even Kardashian, one of OJs attorneys, was flabbergasted that he was acquitted.

He did it and he got away with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2024, 06:28 AM
 
Location: So Ca
26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Reputation: 24775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
For those of us alive and old enough prior to the trial.. OJ was known as an excellent person. His rep took a few hits (no pun intended) when the charges of smacking Nicole around came out..
It was a lot more than smacking Nicole around. They had a horribly volatile relationship. Five years before the murders, "On New Year’s Day in 1989, however, an anonymous 911 call summoned police to the Simpsons’ home. When police arrived at 3:30 a.m., Nicole rushed out from the bushes where she had been hiding. Her lip was split, her eye was black and a handprint was visible on her neck. “He’s going to kill me, he’s going to kill me,” she cried, according to the police report. The famous former athlete emerged from the house, yelling, “I got two women, and I don’t want that woman in my bed anymore.”

Simpson pleaded no contest to domestic violence and was ordered to pay a $700 fine, obtain psychiatric counseling and perform 120 hours of community service. He also was placed on two years’ probation. The couple issued a statement, calling the altercation “an isolated and unfortunate incident.”


https://www.latimes.com/obituaries/s...j-simpson-dead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2024, 07:02 AM
 
693 posts, read 284,446 times
Reputation: 1229
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
What was equally appalling was OJ's tamed reaction when the "not guilty" verdict was read. You could pretty much read his mind, "Wow, I got away with it." I'd think a truly innocent man would collapse with relief, cry, or shriek thinking that this nightmare is finally over.
Look at Robert Kardashian's expression when the verdict was read - one of shock and confusion. "oh my God I just helped someone get away with murder".
He was a very close friend to OJ before the trial, after the trial they stopped speaking to each other. Years later in an interview he admitted (in so many words) that he knew that OJ was guilty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2024, 07:04 AM
 
2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Reputation: 5638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
And the suicide letter that Shapiro read live to the press. OJ had a gun and was going to kill himself in the Bronco and Cowlings talked him out of blowing his brains out.
It's too bad Cowlings succeeded in that endeavor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2024, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Vermont
9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Reputation: 17878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
And the suicide letter that Shapiro read live to the press. OJ had a gun and was going to kill himself in the Bronco and Cowlings talked him out of blowing his brains out.
yeah, no, he was never gonna off himself. ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2024, 05:44 PM
 
17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Reputation: 22875
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Ok, I'll open this can of worms. I don't think he did it. Even today. No proof whatsoever except for past domestic issues with Nicole. Nobody placed hm there. After the butchering both Ron and Nicole took when they passed, OJ only had a small cut on one finger. Again no proof, Just emotional, knee jerk reaction from arm chair lawyers.

We often differ.. I like to think we argue on things well. two people with differing opinions. Nothing more. I enjoy people who bring up opposing points, makes me think more on things that I don't have all the answers for, etc, etc.


But i'm out on this one. lol. Nope.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
It's called jury nullification. jury nullification occurs when a jury returns a Not Guilty verdict even though jurors believe beyond reasonable doubt that the defendant has broken the law.

If you watched the ESPN series on the trial, in the first episode, Garchetti flat out says we moved the trial into the city to secure a black jury pool who we knew would likely acquit. He knew that if OJ was found guilty there would be more mass rioting, looting and murder in LA. Jurors have since admitted that they knew OJ did it but because the victims were white it was OK.

I agree with your explanation of jury nullification.. I will add on that, personally.. I look at it as the last defense. Ultimately, it's where the power ends up in the hands of the people. Where it must.

However.. I would not agree that jury nullification happened here. I do believe, at the end of the day. That the defense muddied the waters enough and that the prosecution failed to present their case clearly that led to a not guilty verdict.

Do I believe he's more guilty today than I did at his trial? Honestly, yes. Don't get me wrong, I thought he was guilty then. However, with DNA evidence being new-ish. The mixed blood and how the tech has come along in regards to that since then..

While I don't, and didn't agree with the not guilty verdict. I absolutely refuse to say that they got it wrong. I can totally understand.. If you focus ONLY on the testimony at trial, which is all they had to go on.. I understand how they could come to a not guilty verdict. And.. I simply cannot fault them for it. I disagree, but.. They weren't the worst jury in the history of the world. They very well may have been the worst treated. And got one of the worst prosecution cases put before them.


I'm reminded of jury duty I had to do about 10 years ago. Magistrate court. So.. Nothing big. In fact, they brought 18 of us in. We did the questioning thing. .They came back, read off 12 names, mine not included.. I'm starting to stand up.. yep, i'm outta here.. You all can keep the $5, I'll see my way out.

Little did I know, magistrate court has a jury of 6, apparently.

But.. I couldn't even tell you the case, what it was about.. anything. The important part here is.. We get seated.. Judge calls on the prosecutor.. "Our witness didn't come to court, you honor. Therefore, the prosecution rests".. We're sent out.. We come back in.. Case is turned over to the defense.. We're all, seemingly, sitting there going "What?".. Defense puts on no case. We're sent back out.. We come back.. The judge is.. Actually just sitting there with this gobsmacked crooked grin.. He's getting.. A tad snarky with the prosecutor.. technically, I suppose it was 'plaintiff' in magistrate court.. Anyway.. He asks us to elect a foreperson.. At this point, at least with me, it clicks that all the discussion was just.. do we really need to go through all the motions, here?

Anyway.. We all just pointed at the person in the first seat. He took it. And.. at this point, he knows we know, I guess.. And.. he.. Broke procedure a bit here, I think.. he just asked, do you all need to deliberate? We all said no. He did a voice poll.. Obviously, all for not guilty (I had this deep, dank fear that some dumbass would ********** up, but.. No.)

The point here.. that presumption of innocence is the first rule of our law. Something that we all know from the time we're very young.

But only in court. You don't get court with your parents. Or teachers.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wadd View Post
Look at Robert Kardashian's expression when the verdict was read - one of shock and confusion. "oh my God I just helped someone get away with murder".
He was a very close friend to OJ before the trial, after the trial they stopped speaking to each other. Years later in an interview he admitted (in so many words) that he knew that OJ was guilty.

This.. 100%. I actually saw this, focusing on it, the first time just this week. How did I never see that before? I mean, that's getting slapped across the fact with a dead fish. If you haven't seen this and focused on Kardashian.. Go watch it now. Blew my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2024, 09:59 PM
 
1,226 posts, read 1,279,994 times
Reputation: 2000
The other thing the shrinking numbers of Team OJ always fail to bring up is...if not OJ...then who?

All these years, and somehow Nicole and Ron were murdered by some anonymous person or persons who showed up, knifed these two to death, nearly decapitated Nicole, left zero DNA of their own, and then...just left? No robbery?

Who else on the planet had any motive and opportunity?

If not OJ...then who?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top