Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: iPhone or Android?
iPhone 14 34.15%
Android 27 65.85%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:10 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Both of them practically require you to live with your charger. How lame is that? I know people who have several sets of chargers (for work, for home, etc) because they are constantly having to charge the damn phone.
I find it easier to have spare batteries. Just pop them in as you need then. Never wired to an outlet. Might not work with iPhones (or some of them).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 11:36 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
In my own opinion, if you need a ton of pre-loaded aps, than the IPhone will be good for you. The droids(like blackberry) have market where you can download tons of free or for a fee apps and also have a bunch preloaded too but not as many. I think the other phones do more while the IPhones are more about the apps.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
In my own opinion, if you need a ton of pre-loaded aps, than the IPhone will be good for you. The droids(like blackberry) have market where you can download tons of free or for a fee apps and also have a bunch preloaded too but not as many. I think the other phones do more while the IPhones are more about the apps.
The droids use the Android app market just like other Android phones. Current estimates say there's between 200,000 and 350,000 apps available. This is pretty much as good as the 350,000 apps available on the Apple app store.

Just for info, RIM has 30,000 and WP7 has 18,000.

All info gathered from Wikipedia. References are available on the Wikipedia page.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:35 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
I think the single biggest difference is that Android has more free apps (ad-supported) then the iPhone does.
Wife went from a Droid to an iPhone and it drives her nuts.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:30 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,343 times
My experiences:

I bought an iPhone 3G a couple years ago and it did me well. A few months ago I got an Atrix 4G from Motorola, with Android 2.2 on it. The goods and bads? Well:

iPhone-

Goods:
-Better texting/emailing (keyboard is better, in my opinion, easier to type on without hitting the wrong keys)
-It has iTunes integration (not really a plus for me, as I have an iPod)
-A myriad of devices have support for the iPhone (docks, chargers, even my car stereo)

Bads:
-I didn't know it at the time, but after I bought my Atrix I see now why people want "openness" in a phone. iPhone is WAY too locked down, even after jailbreaking.
-The cell reception sucked, all the time. Could blame ATT, but it's better on the Atrix.
-The speaker was pretty quiet
-No voice activated anything
-Over the years it's gotten sloooooooooow (apple supporting 4.0+, which doesn't run well on the previous gens)
-battery is horrid
-No ability to change the battery yourself (without a lot of work)

Atrix-

Goods:
-Bigger screen, higher resolution (not as high as iP4, but close)
-Voice commands (voice guided turn by turn navigation, search for something, call a restaurant, etc.)
-Navigation is better than the Nuvi that got stolen from me
-Superb control (near complete control when rooted). Don't like the lock screen? Replace it. Don't liek the dialer? Replace it, too. You can literally replace everything about the phone.
-The app stores (I use Market and Amazon) are better than Apple's, in my opinion. Yes, they don't have as MANY, but they have good, quality apps that are mostly free, unlike Apple's store.
-Battery life is way better (especially with juice defender app, I can get over 48 HOURS of battery life out of my Atrix's 2200mAh battery). Although the first few days I had dismal battery life, don't know if the battery just had to stretch its legs a bit.
-Carry extra batteries or get a bigger mAh battery if you wish

Bads:
-Texting/emailing, like I said, is not as good on the Atrix. I miss the iPhone's keyboard/touch response
-Fragmented - meaning if my friend's Galaxy android phone gets an update, that doesn't mean my android device will.
-Boot loader is locked - not really a big deal for me, I don't want a custom ROM, but some do. Other android devices have unlocked bootloaders
-Not as much aftermarket support (compared to iPhone, it's like comparing an M1 Abrams to a SMART car, iPhone crushes it in aftermarket)

Overall, I will not ever go back to iOS phones. Too restricted, too "conformed," and the apps are more expensive (like I said, Market and Amazon app stores have a higher free to paid ratio). I like the simplicity of the app stores also (click, download, done, no signing in every time, no having to authorize it, no having to download one at a time, super easy).

Old 05-19-2011, 08:41 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
To be fair, kazyn, apple has always been about plug-and-play foolproof user-friendly application...not giving you all the control so you can F something up.
Their market was originally for people who wanted something intuitive and easy. That's how they roll.

Frankly, I have always hated apple products (since I was a kid) and wouldn't get an iphone if there was an ap that wiped my ass for me.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:52 AM

LOL! When I got my iPhone I thought I owned the world. It was a GREAT phone. Now that I have my Atrix, looking back......it wasn't as great as I once thought. I think since it was my first Smartphone, I didn't know any better.

It was a good transition though, I think. If you go from a 1994 honda civic to a GT500 or a Lambo Reventon, both upgrades are going to be the most awesome thing EVER....but if I went from the civic to the GT500 to the Reventon, well then I'd see the advances each time.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:14 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My issue with the iphone is that it doesn't do well what it's meant to do - make freakin' phone calls. I cannot tell you the number of times I've been in a crowd of iphone users and I am the only one who can actually make an effin' phone call.
The iPhones (and for that matter most of the Android devices) is meant to be a computer you can carry in your pocket, not a phone. Why do you think Apple, a computer company, built the iPhone?

Old 05-19-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
The iPhones (and for that matter most of the Android devices) is meant to be a computer you can carry in your pocket, not a phone. Why do you think Apple, a computer company, built the iPhone?
The iPhone is not meant to be a phone? That's just plain silly. If that was the case, then there wouldn't need to be an iPod touch. I guess Apple is out of their mind with all this redundancy.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:56 PM

Dialing out was important to them (you should see their testing facility for resonance and signal degradation/attenuation) but it wasn't the most important component. It's quite clear that Apple is not a cell phone company, they're a microchip and innovation company. They found a market and pounced. The fact that it isn't solely a phone with bells and whistles is the reason they are so popular. It's more like a mini computer with the addition of a phone, not the other way around.

Although to say "it isn't meant to be a phone" when it is very clearly labeled as such is a little irrational
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones