Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 03:20 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times

Advertisements

OSA go home Charlotte is to intelligent for you pushing your agenda
NEW FLASH its the 21st century

and

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 04:00 PM

1,241 posts, read 2,320,535 times
There were atleast 10 hanging out and preaching across from the Concord Mills Mall at about 5:20pm today.

Anyone know if it would be illegal for me to stop at the closest parking lot to them and blast some Deicide on loud speakers?

Old 07-19-2010, 04:34 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsobchak View Post
They had a big truck parked (legally?) on Tryon this afternoon, by the Two Wachovia plaza. It had enormous signs all over it - anti-gay, anti-abortion.

Not only did it infuriate me, but it frightened me as well. I've never seen something like this in person - and I am a member of yet another demographic they would prefer be eliminated.
I am sorry that you were subjected to this. It can be frightening and I especially think it is frightening to anyone who feels they could be subject to this intimidation - and also - to children.

I will continue to maintain it is a type of psychological bullying and intimidation - these "demonstrations" that disrupt our daily lives and create fear.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
There were atleast 10 hanging out and preaching across from the Concord Mills Mall at about 5:20pm today.

Anyone know if it would be illegal for me to stop at the closest parking lot to them and blast some Deicide on loud speakers?
Sadly, doing so would probably bring LE down on you for breaking a noise ordinance (I would assume one exists in Concord).

What upsets me about all this is that I truly believe in everyone's right to free speech. I would fight for your right to free speech even if I disagreed to what you have to say.

But in this case (just as in such cases as with KKK marches) . . . if hate language is used or if the actions of the people involved in the protest are intimidating and designed to bully, I honestly do not think that this is what free speech means.

Whether I agree or disagree with someone, I want them to have the right to state their case. Bullying others, tho, should not be allowed - but I don't know how one would LEGALLY prove it.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:11 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
OSA WE Are All Angels Watch "We're All Angels" for free online | Real Momentum Gay Documentaries | Logo TV

Old 07-20-2010, 06:10 AM

124 posts, read 163,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
OSA go home Charlotte is to intelligent for you pushing your agenda

Old 07-20-2010, 06:17 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I will continue to maintain it is a type of psychological bullying and intimidation - these "demonstrations" that disrupt our daily lives and create fear.
I agree to a point...but I also believe in the right for anyone to voice their opinions...no matter how ignorant they are.

When it comes to people like this, I am torn. Part of me just wants to hope that they will just go away...and another part just wants to punch one of these self-righteous idiots in the head.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:19 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsobchak View Post
They had a big truck parked (legally?) on Tryon this afternoon, by the Two Wachovia plaza. It had enormous signs all over it - anti-gay, anti-abortion.
Someone should tell them that gay people don't have abortions.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:30 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
What do these losers do to put food on the table?
They are obviously not independently wealthy...according to the official website, the hotels they have blocked for their members are the Sleep Inn & Suites ($50 per night) and Suburban Extended Stay ($28 per night). Both in Concord.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
I agree to a point...but I also believe in the right for anyone to voice their opinions...no matter how ignorant they are.

When it comes to people like this, I am torn. Part of me just wants to hope that they will just go away...and another part just wants to punch one of these self-righteous idiots in the head.
It's true - you are right - we are guaranteed the right to free speech.

I wish these folks would just go away, too, so none of us had to be confronted with their particular brand of intimidation and self-righteousness.

I guess no one has ever determined that the right to free speech must include the right to not assault the public's sense of good manners and civility, lol.

I want to guarantee MY right to free speech, so I feel it imperative to acknowledge everyone else's right - and to even fight for their right to free speech.

But I do not believe in the right to be a bully. Unfortunately, there is no way to define what lengths one must go to in order to be labeled a free speech bully, lol.

However, I think most of us know bullying when we see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte