Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:06 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,322,976 times

Advertisements

They have been gathering across the street from the Concord Mills Mall. Anyone know if the property owner or just one of the businesses gives them permission to use the land. Is the land possibly Concord City/County property? I may boycott any business involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 09:10 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Or maybe they were there to keep the loonies from running out into traffic & creating problems. These people have a long history.
Just arrest their arses! Like I said, I want someone to show me where the right to assembly supercedes local ordinances and requires LE to waste time protecting idiots.

I thought formal "rallies" require permits if on public property. I am fully aware I may be totally wrong but I can't find the answer and hope someone does find it.

If that is true, then the demonstrators need to be removed if they are creating a public nuisance by impeding traffic.

Seems simple to me and I am aggravated no one is hauling these folks off to jail (if they are breaking any law).

I feel the same way about ANY group creating a public nuisance. We have the right to assemble but we don't have the right to put other people's welfare at risk while doing it - in this case - drivers (and any other pedestrians trying to use the area where folks are causing congestion).

Old 07-21-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
They have been gathering across the street from the Concord Mills Mall. Anyone know if the property owner or just one of the businesses gives them permission to use the land. Is the land possibly Concord City/County property? I may boycott any business involved.
We need to find out what ordinances there are on the books for both MECK and for Charlotte and Concord, too.

If it is legal to use any public property for assembly, then there is nothing much that can be done unless someone performs some other illegal act while on that property.

I believe all people should have to right to assembly, but not when it creates a dangerous situation for other people (i.e., someone not being able to pass on a sidewalk b/c demonstrators are standing there, so he/she has to walk into oncoming traffic).

Old 07-21-2010, 09:45 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Just arrest their arses! Like I said, I want someone to show me where the right to assembly supercedes local ordinances and requires LE to waste time protecting idiots.

I thought formal "rallies" require permits if on public property. I am fully aware I may be totally wrong but I can't find the answer and hope someone does find it.

If that is true, then the demonstrators need to be removed if they are creating a public nuisance by impeding traffic.

Seems simple to me and I am aggravated no one is hauling these folks off to jail (if they are breaking any law).

I feel the same way about ANY group creating a public nuisance. We have the right to assemble but we don't have the right to put other people's welfare at risk while doing it - in this case - drivers (and any other pedestrians trying to use the area where folks are causing congestion).
Ani, these people are probably looking to create a situation to get press attention. So far, they've been all but ignored by the local press. I'm just waiting for them to get more than a mention in passing, then I will make my phone call.

Everyone should have freedom of assembly & freedom of speeech, until it impinges on the rights of others. These people have been honing their tactics for decades in the Delaware Valley, where the Quaker virtue of tolerance is still deeply embedded.

I suspect that their week in Charlotte was geared to be a recruiting trip. I also suspect that it is not proving to be a good idea in reality.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:17 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,846,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well that is just weird. Since when did we waste resources "protecting" people who have decided on their own volition to publicly demonstrate.
Since July 9, 1868 (see: Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment)

They have a right to demonstrate, and they, like everyone else, has a right not to be subject to violence. Police are employed to protect people from just that, regardless of whether they exercise their right to speak unpopular speech.

When walking by these people, I think to myself that this is the price we pay for having free speech, and it's a pittance compared to the cost of the alternative.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Since July 9, 1868 (see: Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment)

They have a right to demonstrate, and they, like everyone else, has a right not to be subject to violence. Police are employed to protect people from just that, regardless of whether they exercise their right to speak unpopular speech.

When walking by these people, I think to myself that this is the price we pay for having free speech, and it's a pittance compared to the cost of the alternative.
Yes, as I have continued to say, we all have the right to assembly and to protest and we all have the right to free speech.

That still doesn't answer anything about city ordinances. That is federal law.

In addition, it doesn't answer why LE are on site when no laws have been broken. I don't see "body guards" provided by local LE every time something "controversial" is happening in this city or any other, for that matter.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:07 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,974,535 times
What bothers me is these so-called "Christians" really don't live by the greatest commandment which is "Love." These people, and I use that term loosely, like to shove the Bible down people's throats and force their brand of Christianity on others, and they probably live wretched lives themselves. I understand being against abortion or gay marriange if you have Christian values, but these people are hateful and bigoted, and they do more harm than good!

Old 07-21-2010, 12:18 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,966,617 times
Are they protesting near the Capital Grill at all?

Old 07-21-2010, 12:19 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,846,757 times
It is appropriate for law enforcement agents to anticipate a need for law enforcement and to show up to fill that need.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:20 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
What bothers me is these so-called "Christians" really don't live by the greatest commandment which is "Love." These people, and I use that term loosely, like to shove the Bible down people's throats and force their brand of Christianity on others, and they probably live wretched lives themselves. I understand being against abortion or gay marriange if you have Christian values, but these people are hateful and bigoted, and they do more harm than good!
Precisely!

It's not like my contacts with this group had anything to do with any version of the bible. There was minor physical violence & verbal abuse. Their placards were not something to be proud of, & yet they had dragged their kids there.

I remember hearing, at one point, many years ago that some of their protesters are "professional protesters", who are supported by others in the group who have money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte