Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 06:21 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The people who have relayed to me that they were disturbed by the spectacle these folks have put on had to do with their disrupting traffic flow, the types of messages on their signs, and shouting out at people as citizens are going about their business, trying to avoid the group.

Not trying to speak for anyone else, but that is what has been described to me by people who accidentally had the misfortune of being up close and personal w/ these folks.
Just curious, Ani, did your feedback sound like I was less than accurate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Putting this story on the news would cut into the time spent on telling us it's really really really hot, hotter than last year but not record setting hot yet, explaining for 48957573927575th time why humid heat brings showers (except that it doesn't seem to rain very much even though there's been 40%+ of some rain in some areas at some time at some level for the last 30 days), and on the 10 minutes spent telling us what will be "coming up after the break, or on the next half hour broadcast, or sometime later in this broadcast, or after 2-5 more weather segments, etc.,"

On the other hand you may be absolutely correct in saying that they may have been told to ignore the protesters. Deaf ears attract little attention.
The station that I referred them to is one that they have worked with before. That station will beat any story to a bloody pulp, yet has been ignoreing these protestors for years, unless there is something that they must cover.

I also gave them the website for the clinic in question, the town's website, & the local PD for that town. Any or all might have suggested ignoring them while they work on an expose.

I also sent them the website that I posted here, bragging about what they did at the clinic. I also found a website that I included tying together the name of the group that took credit for the protest at the Cherry Hill clinic & these people who are here. It's one group using 2 names. Basically, I gave them 75% of a tape piece. What they choose to use that they come up with is up to them. I had heard, in the Philly media that there were people from NC furnishing some of the protestors. I was never 100% certain if that was true, but this pretty well put it together, for me.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:39 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Just curious, Ani, did your feedback sound like I was less than accurate?
Absolutely not. It seems people who are so dedicated to their own biases can often get quite worked up about their chosen mission in life, so it would not surprise me at all that situations can quickly escalate.

I suspect that is why police have been close by - to make sure nothing like that occurs here. Of course, this is just a short stint in town. If these folks were out day after day, week after week, I don't think local LE can waste resources on a never-ending basis. So eventually, they won't be there unless a complaint is made.

I think the previous poster's comments about what it was like having to deal with protestors showing up at the clinic where he/she was this week supported what you experienced back in NJ, as well.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Absolutely not. It seems people who are so dedicated to their own biases can often get quite worked up about their chosen mission in life, so it would not surprise me at all that situations can quickly escalate.

I suspect that is why police have been close by - to make sure nothing like that occurs here. Of course, this is just a short stint in town. If these folks were out day after day, week after week, I don't think local LE can waste resources on a never-ending basis. So eventually, they won't be there unless a complaint is made.

I think the previous poster's comments about what it was like having to deal with protestors showing up at the clinic where he/she was this week supported what you experienced back in NJ, as well.
Thanks. I told the absolute truth, but I just wondered if they were acting differently here. It's very weird to have a group protesting & become permanent fixtures in your town.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:51 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,358,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
What, exactly, does "pretty disturbed" mean? I'm trying to picture being able to see people dressed as cows from a distance, but then becoming "pretty disturbed" as I approach those peoplecows and continue on by.
It's not the cows that are disturbing but all the lovely literature they have with them: all the graphic pictures. Again these are friends with their kids who get all excited about seeing cows and then could see more than they should.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
It's not the cows that are disturbing but all the lovely literature they have with them: all the graphic pictures. Again these are friends with their kids who get all excited about seeing cows and then could see more than they should.
Y'know, that is disturbing that they would go to a fast food restaurant, dressed in a manner to lure small kids, & expose them to graphic pictures. That is not one whit different than if people from a prophylactic company dressed in a way to lure people and handed out coupons in front of graphic pictures.

I'm kind of surprised that people are not lodging enough complaints with the police to get, at least some, pictures removed. It goes back to the Supreme Court definition of obscenity. No redeeming social value on a level that the community does not want to allow.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:45 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Y'know, that is disturbing that they would go to a fast food restaurant, dressed in a manner to lure small kids, & expose them to graphic pictures. That is not one whit different than if people from a prophylactic company dressed in a way to lure people and handed out coupons in front of graphic pictures.

I'm kind of surprised that people are not lodging enough complaints with the police to get, at least some, pictures removed. It goes back to the Supreme Court definition of obscenity. No redeeming social value on a level that the community does not want to allow.
Well, it has been the history here to "live and let live," so I am thinking that most people here are just hoping that these folks "go away."

Old 07-23-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Well, it has been the history here to "live and let live," so I am thinking that most people here are just hoping that these folks "go away."
Well, that's how it is in South Jersey, too, Ani. (It's the Quaker tradition of tolerance.) Plus, there, the clinic is set back on a main road, in a sprawling suburb. No close & personal contact is possible unless someone tries to get in the clinic. No shopping center or mall in the area will allow them on their property. So, it's a lot easier to ignore them & tolerate it & hope that, someday, they will go away.

I'm just surprised, because in Charlotte they are in just about everyone's face. Even at that, waiting it out seemed logical, but the cow suit scene does sound like crossing the line of public decency. Plus, so many people in Charlotte are not natives.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:21 PM

292 posts, read 671,535 times
So I couldn't help myself, I finally went outside today to see the protesters (I work at Trade and Tryon). The images were a little disturbing if you focused on them, but easy to ignore. The most annoying part is hearing them scream jibberish into a megaphone. it would be funny if someone were to form another protest across the street mocking their protest.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:01 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
It would be funny but Im sure OSA has permits for their protests but just like some of the posters are
doing when they interact with them doing the best thing and that is ignoring them.

I do welcome freedom of Speech but instead of protesting why not have a lively discussion
same with the trolls that appear on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte